1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Deathly Hallowed by Shujin1 - T

Discussion in 'Dark Arts' started by Shujin, May 9, 2013.

1. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

He says he's going to start revealing the background and letting us understand what's going on better, so I'll hold off until that's out there. It's very well written so far, but the story is going to hinge on how the next few chapters go; the parlor scene can either tie it together or bring it all crashing down

2. Shujin

Shujin Second Year

What kind of outstanding questions are floating around that need to be answered? I did put up the current chapter for story input and would have been perfectly willing to shuffle things around so they make more sense. As it is, if the constructive feedback can get a little more specific than "confusing" that would be helpful.

What, exactly, is throwing you guys? Where's the fire? What did I do wrong?

3. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Er, I thought the fact that we don't have the underlying horror and mystery spelled out was on purpose? I'm still not quite sure what's going on, but it's in a good way where I await the reveals rather than get irritated.

4. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

Very good, and very interesting.
    Easy 5/5 from me.

5. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

Yeah, leaving things more hinted at than stated outright is pretty much a core part of Cthulean horror. A lot of the details can be pieced together and thus far I haven't really had any of my guesses proved dramatically wrong, which is a good sign that the story is coherent.

6. Shujin

Shujin Second Year

Yes, it is on purpose. In media res without the info dump. Cthulean horror is what I'm trying to emulate without the vague purple prose. I should hope the story is coherent, that's why I'm bothered by it being apparently confusing.

7. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You shouldn't be bothered about it being confusing, because you intend it to be confusing.

I just think that most people here are not familiar with the writing style, like myself, which is why we find it confusing and odd. Not in a bad way, but just different.

Perhaps the word confusing has the wrong sort of connotations to what we mean.

8. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I really, really like this. I have to go through it somewhat slower than I normally would just to make sure I don't miss anything, but it's tightly written all the same. The imagery is quite simply amazing, you really get the whole "elder things from before the universe" vibe nailed down.

Enjoying this immensely. 5/5 from me.

9. Daedros

Daedros Seventh Year

I love this story. Fantastically atmospheric, really gets across the feeling of horror. I also, as others have mentioned, really like the use of a style that hints at more than shows us things to be afraid of, because it's really that anticipation that's the scary bit.

Overall, great job so far. 5/5

10. Photon

Photon Order Member

It gets so obscure, unexplained and confusing that reader is detached from story. Even for me and I like confusing and overcomplicated stories.

But "What can be done, what cannot. (...)" in the first chapter is enough to rate it as 5/5.

11. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Since I can't find anywhere that's mentioned it in WBA or the other thread, I'll just point out that the tenth chapter is up after a few months of inactivity.