1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

You can use FlagFic to download stories in the format of your choosing(epub/mobi etc)

Then use the ebook softwate of your choice in your device. I have no idea which readers are good in IOS.

2. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Was the Lake at Hogwarts freshwater? Because then this one might be hard to believe, in that it would mean that somehow, there are even crustier species of Mermen out in the ocean, and that's just...ew.

3. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There are no salt lakes in Scotland, just brackish and fresh. There are 'sea lochs' but those are basically just bays.

Even though Hogwarts is supposed to be in the highlands where pretty much all the bodies of water are fresh, I'd say the Black Lake is brackish because it's inhabited by the Giant Squid, and squids don't live in freshwater.

Then again, a big magical squid can probably live wherever the fuck it wants.

EDIT: If we assume that the Black Lake is indeed freshwater then, thinking back to Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, I think I can say with a relative amount of certainty that B (freshwater merpeople are less warlike than salt) is false and the answer to Question 2, making D (there are no male veela) true.

The Sirens in the seas around Greece are described as fitting the classic mermaid image, luring sailors to their deaths with their song. Albeit being deadlier, these beautiful Greek Sirens seem like a more elegant breed of merperson when compared to the Selkies in the Black Lake, who are rather primitive and crude.

TL;DR: No male Veelas (in terms of displaying the Veela phenotype).... maybe.

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  4. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Well then B might be true. The seas around Greece, being seas, are almost certainly saline, and though the Greek sirens may be physically attractive, you don't see the selkies at Hogwarts luring students into the water to drown them.

5. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Luring people down to drown them doesn't mean they're warlike. It means they're dangerous. The Hogwarts merpeople were carrying around a bunch of tridents and were very eager to point them at Harry at the slightest provocation. I'd say that they fit the description of warlike far more than a bunch of sirens would.

So I'd agree that there is (extremely tentative) evidence that there are no male veela in canon, aside from Malfoy and Snape's male veela love bond. Or that last part might be fanon - I get confused sometimes.

6. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

@KHAAAAAAAAAAN!, thank you very much. Great detective work, flawless logic. I agree with the no male veela part. But I think that should be true just because say male veela feels reaaaally stupid. And thank God there are female centaurs. Mpreg is a concept too f* scary for me, to even think about it "shudders", horrible nightmares. Or centaurs and mares. Shit, I want to bleach my brain after thinking that.

7. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

If there's no Male Veela then where do full blooded Veela come from.

8. Alexx

Alexx Card Captored and buttsecksed

Was the seven potters plan dumb?

9. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

How feasible would it be for wizards to take over the muggle world during, say, the medieval period? An imperio on the King of England (and maybe some of his advisers) and voila!

Which leads me to question 2. What sort of impediments might there have been to prevent such a thing?

10. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

Do you really want to start another Muggle versus...

We found the final third (after me and [formerly] Zephyrus)!

Ahem. As I was saying, do you really want to start another Muggle versus Wizard debate? Because I would strongly advise against it. As to your question, though, yes I think they could have accomplished it in the Medieval era. For the second question, I've got nothing.

11. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Presumably exactly the same thing that stops people in the modern era putting the Minister for Magic under the Imperius, or the Prime Minister. That is: vigilant wizards whose job it is to stop them from doing so.

12. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

I meant if wizard-kind as a whole decided on it (or at the very least the majority).

It just occurred to me one day to write a story with that as the premise. Seeing as the great people of DLP make it a habit to take apart stupid ideas, I wanted to see how it would hold up.

What's that about?

13. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

It means your posts are so stupid and reviled, you've had a warning label attached to you.

14. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

It is never stated outright in the books that Fleur is only a quarter Veela, or that part-Veela are a thing.

15. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Oh, rly?

/10chars

16. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Even without taking the 'Fuck you, it's magic' road, that's pretty easily explained.

It is absolutely possible that the SRY gene on the Y chromosome and the proteins it codes for suppresses Veela traits, which is why I said no veela males in terms of phenotype. There would be genetic Veela males.

Unless Veela women simply spring out of the ground, like dwarves.
    [​IMG]

17. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

@Bill Door:
    Yes, Harry thought that. Fleur never says it herself (barring DH, my memory isn't as good there).

@Ferdiad:
    Where do Veelas come from (and the related question, why haven't they died out yet): This is pretty easy. Without male Veelas, you have two options: One, the daughter of a Veela and a Wizard is A) always a Veela, B) either a Veela, or an ordinary witch (that's the no-part-Veela theory).

Two, if you do want to have part-Veelas, you need to make the entire process random, meaning the daughters of Veelas and Wizards can be just about anything from full Veelas to ordinary witches, and in truth there's not really such a thing as strict "full blooded Veelas" or 1/4-Veelas or 1/16-Veelas or whatever; rather, it's a sliding scale, and if a witch displays certain traits, she's a "full blooded Veela", regardless of her ancestry.

So in that case, it's not so much a descriptive word as a normative one; one could, for example, posit that every full Veela must be able to do the Harpy trick like the ones at the World Cup and throw fireballs. Possibly, you also have to live in a Veela-colony to qualify as a full Veela, that'd be another aspect unrelated to heritage.

I prefer the first solution variant B), it's flexible enough for FF purposes, and at the same time neat and simple.

Edit: Yes, and I'll flame everyone who uses the words "genetics", "chromosome" and "protein" in a Harry Potter context, and this includes Rowlings interviews. Fuck that with a stick.

18. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Obviously Veela are the result of the Fleur/Fawkes smut fic that I just had the idea for. Where else would the bird and fire part come from?

19. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

For Sesc,
    By Matt Silver

Harry Potter woke up one morning and went down to the Great Hall to eat a delicious protein-filled breakfast. While there, he engaged Luna in a conversation about a new species of creature her father discovered, a small tick shaped like Gene Wilder's head, colloquially named Genetics. As he was leaving breakfast he bumped into Filch the caretaker, who dropped the bottles of cleaning supplies he was holding: chrome polisher and Osome family brand mould cleaner. When the bottles were on the ground, the labels pushed together created the word chromosome, though Harry did not know this and instead helped the caretaker out before going about his day.

The End.

(This is the Incorruptible sequel now. Enjoy!)

20. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Oh me oh my apple pie. I do apologize for using scary science words.

Let's put 'the Rowling dumb down' on the same theory.

'Maleness' is more 'powerful' than Veela 'blood', thus males with Veela 'blood' will appear as normal humans.

Not open for further replies.