1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Points of Divergence

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Skeletaure, May 10, 2013.

1. Alexx

Alexx Card Captored and buttsecksed

Ginny the Horcrux . :awesome This can takes place in DH. Harry will have a choice between what is right and what is easy.

2. InfernoCannon

InfernoCannon Seventh Year

I'm fairly certain that the Potter on the Black family tree isn't Harry's grandfather, since Dorea Black died in 1957 whereas James was born 1960, so they were likely a cousin or uncle of James rather than his father. And since the power would be in the Potter blood, which Andromeda doesn't have (being descended from Dorea's brother), Harry would likely end up elsewhere for the blood wards.

Of course, that time discrepancy could just be Rowling screwing the maths up again.

3. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

I think it depends on which source your getting it from. In the books it's never clarified, but it the Order of the Pheonix movie I believe, when Sirius is showing the Black Family Tree, Dorea Potter is made James Mother. Now I could be wrong as I haven't seen the movie in a while, but I believe that was the case. Also, Dorea died 1977, not 1957.

In fact the only real problem with the theory that Dorea was James mother is that if Dorea was in fact James's mother, then when the Potters took in Sirius, she would have been disowned since Alphard Black was disowned for giving Sirius money after he ran away. That's not to say she might have already have been disowned previously for marrying a Gryffindor though.

Still, I firmly believe in the fanon theory that Dorea was in fact James's mother simply because it meant that Sirius was James's cousin and could therefore make Harry his heir should he choose to.

Going back to the topic, one POD would be Merope Gaunt never dies and ends up raising Tom Riddle with love and care. I've seen a good fanfic once that used this concept, I believe it's in the library. I believe it was called the "Right Hand Path".

Another interesting POD is that Voldemort's first horcrux, rather than just splitting his soul, also splits the remaining but small speck of good in him(if it exists) and is placed in the diary. Fifty years later, when Ginny gets the diary, it rather than trying to possess her, attempts to guide and help her to defeat Voldemort. Weird POD, but it just popped into my head.

A final POD for all you Harry/Hermione lovers, Harry and Hermione get together after Ron abandons them in the Deathly Hallows. I always felt this is how it should have gone, with the two taking comfort in each other and falling in love.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  4. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Professor

The books never mention a Potter on the tree at all. The films show a Potter and yes, give a death date of 1977, not 1957. There is also a hand sketch Black Family Tree by J.K. Rowling. It shows the same thing as the films: Dorea (1920 - 1977) = Charles Potter. One son. People marrying into the family do not have birth or death dates on Rowling's tree.

Nether positivity identifies this One Son with James, and I've never liked the idea to be honest.

5. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Freak accident before Hogwarts; something Vernon or Dudley did in the car caused an accident, or maybe it was actually Petunia's fault, which got Vernon killed and the rest of them horribly injured.

Harry saved both Dudley's and her own life that day, even when it meant making his injuries horrifically worse. He failed, however, to save Vernon's life - despite his efforts, he snuffed it, drowning in his own blood.

This feeling of helplessness scarred Harry for life.

The fact that Petunia and Dudley's neighbors and 'friends' essentially turned on them, because of a loss of social standing and the injuries sustained, also taught him not to trust people.

When a more scarred Harry enters Hogwarts, his Sorting is a toss-up between Slytherin and Ravenclaw.

Gryffindor isn't even considered.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  6. FreakLord

FreakLord Professor DLP Supporter

First year Halloween. Harry doesn't hear about Hermione being in the bathroom. She gets killed by the Troll. Ron gets expelled because Dumbledore is one strict motherfucker. Harry and others get months of detention. How would Harry evolve now?

7. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

Why would Harry get detention or Ron get expelled? If Hermione was killed I would see the harsher Dumbledore coming down hard on whoever he thinks is responsible for letting the troll in. Considering its apparently canon the Dumbledore had no idea it was Quirril, maybe see him breaking relations with Snape?

You'd need to change things up for that kind of consequence, make Ron and Harry more directly responsible. Maybe sending her to the bathroom as a prank, then not telling a teacher/ not trying to save her when they learn about the troll.

8. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I remember a fic where there was a car accident and Harry, Dudley and Petunia manages to get away from the car, but Vernon is stuck. Harry tries to come back and help him get out but he's too big. Then the car explodes.

I think it was one of those popular Blind!Harry fic. The accident burned his eyes or something like that.

9. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

You know, I've always had a weird idea in my of a POD where Bellatrix's life is slightly different, possibly something in her childhood that changes her, and she somehow grows up against pureblood supremacy, ends up in Gryffindor, and becomes a alcoholic when she graduates. I know it sounds weird, but I always have the mental image of Harry staying with the Order in book five, going to the kitchen to find Bellatrix drunk and delusional, and her living with Sirius. Wonder if that crazy idea is even possible. I realize that whatever it is that causes her to be so against pureblood supremacy has to be big...maybe Bellatrix sees the moon landing as a child and it makes her become obsessive about muggle technology? I really don't know, but Bellatrix would make a interesting Gryffindor.

10. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Deadwoodpecker had a nice POD in her Socks that I'd like to see explored more: Draco manages to kill Dumbledore earlier in 6th year (either the mead or the necklace). Harry hasn't as extensive of knowledge of the Horcruxes as in canon. In the power vacuum, Voldemort takes over the Ministry earlier.

11. Damask

Damask Seventh Year

Of course you'd find the woman in the kitchen.

12. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

You remember correctly:

Blind Faith Series

The first story is 4/5, don't remember if I read the rest.

13. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Uh. Good old days. I didn't remember him being so young when it happened though. Thanks for the link, I might just reread it for old time's sake :p

14. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sirius doesn't run off after Peter, who is consequently revealed to be the Potters' betrayer. In the muggle world, Sirius and Remus raise a Marauder!Harry with a vengeful streak directed at Voldemort and anything Death Eating.

Never seen a Harry who would actually be prejudiced against people like the Malfoys, the way Malfoys despise muggleborns. If I happen to find a fic where Marauders raise him, Harry always tries to play to the magical world. Why not be a pain in everyone's ass for a change? Give Snape a relevant reason to hate James Potter's son?

15. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Would such an indirect method of murder still make him the master of the Death Stick?

16. Perspicacity

High Score:
    Sounds a bit like a sequel to BajaB's Dark Marauder.

17. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I could have sworn this was already a story.

18. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Unless 'Marauder!Harry' means that Remus and Sirius grow up and don't stick with the shitty jokes and immature attitudes most writers use (in fanon - canon in Sirius' case), and train him to be one ruthless motherfucker, God no.

The Marauder!Harry trope almost always, always leads to shitty prank wars; a Harry that tries to be smartass and 'cool' (but all you want to really do is punch him in the face); and pointless character bashing on either Snape, Dumbledore, or the Weasleys.

Oh, and he often becomes a womanizer at age 11, getting the "beautiful" Slytherin Daphne Greengrass, "cute bookworm" Hermione Granger, and maybe a Ravenclaw like Luna Lovegood, while all the while ignoring that "evil fangirl" Ginny Weasley.

And, of course, let's not forget the lopsided grin.

Leave that shit in the trash with LovePotion!Ginny and Molly and "Manipulative"!Dumbledore, please.

19. Perspicacity

High Score:
    I'm probably speaking out of school here, but BAMF!Harry is precisely how BajaB played the (as yet incomplete and unposted) sequel to Dark Marauder.

Someday, it'll see the light of day. And that day will be fucking glorious.

20. Ennead

Ennead Seventh Year

POD: The Founders split apart before Hogwarts was built.

Four all-wizarding towns with their own schools and specializations develop over time. Instead of a MoM, governance is similar to Renaissance-era city-states. Split between Light and Dark families widens. Due to the insular nature of these communities, prejudice against Muggleborns deepens. Students are recruited in a first come first serve fashion or Divined or whatnot.

Lots of world-building involved in this one. Main plotline would be...finishing the task the Founders could not, and building Hogwarts. Maybe with a different name though.

Last edited: May 21, 2013