1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Hogwarts Battle School by Kwan Li

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Averis, May 22, 2013.

1. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Title: Hogwarts Battle School
    Author: Kwan Li
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/Romance
    Chapters: 28
    Words: 181,285
    Updated: August 7, 2013
    Published: July 31, 2012

Library Category: Alternates
    Pairings: None with bits of Harry/Hermione, Harry/Tracey
    Summary: AU. Voldemort kills Dumbledore but is defeated by a child. In the aftermath, Snape becomes the Headmaster and radically changes Hogwarts. Harry Potter of House Slytherin begins his Third Year at Hogwarts Battle School and realizes that friend and foe are too similar for his liking. Competing with allies and enemies, Harry finds there is a cost to winning.
    Link: Hogwarts Battle School

154,912 words in 24 chapters, with a sequel coming hopefully sooner rather than later.

I searched the library and the forums to find this story, and while it's been mentioned many times, and some of Kwan Li's other work has been accepted, this particular fic doesn't seem to have been put up For Review. If I'm mistaken, someone feel free to let me know.

As for the story, this is literally the best complete fic I've read in 2013. Essentially, Dumbledore died at Voldemort's hands, baby Harry killed Voldemort, and Snape took over as Hogwarts Headmaster. The story takes place in Harry's third year. He has been placed in Slytherin.

There are a lot of changes from the typical Hogwarts-based story -- namely, Snape redesigns the school and pits each house against the other in battle situations. I'll let you fill in the blanks there, as it would be giving far too much away to explain that portion of the story.

My favorite things about the fic: Hermione's closed off character, Snape's demented way of preparing Harry and Harry's absolute brilliance.

Hands down 5/5.

Checked by Minion, August 21, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2013
  2. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Kwan Li makes good words and this is my favorite story that's still updating. Though I despise Card's Ender's Game, I enjoyed this fusion and massive AU. One of the things I'm looking forward to after this summer is this story taking off once again.

A few things that make this story for me: Harry's on his way to kickass status, but in a slow-to-develop way with plenty of stumbles along the path. This makes his moments of awesome that much sweeter. The tension between him and Draco (as well as with the other Slytherins) is a nice touch. Hermione is a complex character--Kwan Li always manages a good Hermione--as is Tracey, and you just want to read more.

While the whole
    Hermione's superpower is statistics
    thing at the start was lame (spoilered because it was an oversold mystery in the story), that's the only real blemish I see with this piece.

5/5, belongs in Library and C2.

3. gbbz

gbbz Professor

It has very little in common with Ender's Game, only the idea of a battle school is shared. Harry is not Ender, not by a long shot, and Hermione is not unlike any character in the OSC's books.

The only one who is similar to his OSC's origins is Snape, which means he is ruthless and totally devoted to vanquishing Voldemort, no matter the cost.

Still it is a good read, which I have been following from the start. There are a few cringe worthy moments
    Harry should have killed Justin in my opinion, not doing so made the whole story fall flat and pointless, why build tension if it doesn't explode but deflates?
    but overall it's fine.

4/5

4. theronin

theronin Order Member

I enjoyed this. Anyone else feel like there were hints of time travel by one of the puppet master characters in a couple places?

5. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Just read the entire story and loved every moment of it. While the power statistics by Hermione made me cringe, it can be ignored in favor of the impressive magic and a prodigy!Harry that doesn't involve him married to the library.

This deserves a definite 4/5 rating and a badass!symbol.

One thing I still didn't get is who the second person Snape always speaks to. Enlighten me if you got it.

6. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I want to read this, but the premise seems ridiculous. Snape was what, a few years out of Hogwarts when Voldemort fell? Yet he managed to become a Headmaster and the ancient schooling system is radically changed, just like that? I really have to suspend my disbelief just to get over the summary.

Well, I'll read it anyways, since it's in for review. Will edit the actual review later.

Edit: So far, I'm not impressed. In fact, I have an acute feeling of dislike, mostly due to personal reasons. Militarization of magic. Prevalent Dursley abuse. Super!Granger. Harry loses his first duel. Harry is some stupid experiment for someone mysterious. Harry gets beaten up in the hallway.

It's frustrating enough to make me want to take a break. All stuff I don't want to see in a fic. On the other hand, it is well written, and I suppose all these early problems and general pressure makes for a realistic situation, but one I personally don't care much for.

I'll continue reading, due to the praise here, but if it wasn't DLP, I'd probably have dropped it already.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  7. gbbz

gbbz Professor

Dumbledore, most likely out of a portrait. Practically am certain of it. He seems the more humane of the two.

8. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Either it's just as you said, or it's Lupin, and we're meant to think it is Dumbledore. However, I do lean toward your idea, as it is quite a bit more plausible considering the nature of their discussions.

Clerith: The premise has very little bearing on how the story proceeds. None of it seems sloppily put together, and while it might be a stretch to think Snape changed everything, it is at least loosely explained how he got the position and there has been enough time that passed since Dumbledore's death that it doesn't seem thrown together. The evolution of the plot is good enough that little things that stick out don't bother you so much once you've read a few chapters.

9. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves High Inquisitor

This hasn't been put up for review? Anyway, I'm greatly enjoying this story. One of the few fics I follow still currently updating. And at a good speed, too, a fair chapter length every week or so. If I remember correctly, Harry's just finished third year, and I'm looking forward to what sounds like is going to be a fantastic fourth year.

I find Harry's intelligence believable, and he has to put in work to achieve difficult things. The other characters behave like real, independent people with their own agendas, which is nice and refreshing. Harry isn't curb-stomping his way around Hogwarts; he would be happily squashed by any self respecting sixth or seventh year.

I'm waiting for the next chapter, although the author is apparently having a brief (couple of month) hiatus, and I hope it gets accepted into the library. 4.5/5, rounding up.

10. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I'd give this a 3.5/5. First ten chapters are closer to a 4/5.

I agree, but
    I think her use of actual encryption was a nice way of turning the "secret code" cliche on its head. "Data Encryption Standard" is three words I never expected to read in a Harry Potter fanfic, but it actually makes sense coming from Hermione.

11. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My biggest problem with the start of the fic is the presentation of dueling. It's very much in the uninspired post-OotP indy!Harry "as many spells as possible, as powerful as possible", spellchains, dodging and "a wand is basically like a gun" school of dueling.

Not sure if I can get over my dislike of that to enjoy the fic - especially as fighting with magic is the focus of the story.

12. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

Honestly, the only thing I truly dislike about this story is it's name. Hogwarts Battle school? seriously?
    It sounds so ridiculous I nearly didn't start the story.

But other than that, I had little to no qualms with the story, and I give it a solid 5/5

13. trollolol

trollolol Third Year

I quite like this fic but never thought about putting it up here, just doesn't seem quite right for DLP - I'm surprised its got such a positive reaction. I enjoy most of Kwan Li's stuff but mostly its a guilty pleasure. 4/5.

14. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    I've been following this one for a while, and could have sworn it was already here, but oh well. Really good, and while I do think the way a certain plot line (that I won't mention since I can't remember how to set spoiler tags) was resolved was a bit unexpected, I liked it since it threw Harry even further away from Ender. Only noticed one thing, the story isn't complete, Third Year is complete, but he said he will continue to post Fourth Year under the same name, and it's not marked as complete on FF.net.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  15. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

It's pretty enjoyable. I've never read Ender's game and that hasn't hindered anything.
    It takes a lot of common fanon ideas and makes them viable. Abusive Dursley's with a manipulative headmaster have never worked so well.

16. R. Daneel Olivaw

R. Daneel Olivaw Groundskeeper

This is a lot less cerebral than Card's Ender, but a nicely done blend. The restructuring of the year allowed for quite the departure from canon, but I think the changes were not exploited as deeply as it could have been.

Still, a very enjoyable fic all the way through.

17. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

I've been imagining it's Trow simply because he can act on the physical world (at least I think that the second person can) It's not Lupin though as in Chapter 14 he mentions bringing the werewolf up to see Snape.

18. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

I read it the first time the yesterday (first time I heard of it too). I completely agree and it get's a 5/5 from me also. The plot summary scared me a bit but I said what the hell and am really glad I did. Awesome.

19. TripticWriter

TripticWriter Groundskeeper

Guilty pleasure at best. Shitty premise and the writing is boring. It's a nice idea that is trying too hard to be cool. And all the abuse and taunting Harry gets is really badly done.

A perfect example of an author trying to transform Harry Potter in a young adult novel and failing, I really don't understand the enthusiasm.

20. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think Trow-who-is-Sirius...