1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Xbox ONE

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Rache, May 21, 2013.

1. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

That! Enforcement of that law could seriously affect all this account binding that the industry favors so much. All it takes is one process and the whole Origin/Steam/whatever platforms have real problems. Some of them could try avoid it with saying you only buy the license to play but I am not sure how tight such an argumentation would be.

2. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

If they bring the "license argument" and win with that, they can probably still be sued for false advertisement since they never said that it was only the license that is sold.

3. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Uh... do you mean, like, Hong Kong dollars or something? Because anything beyond 1-1.5k and you encounter extremely diminishing returns, especially if you're building it yourself instead of paying extra for a pre-built machine.

4. Fishy Justice

Fishy Justice Fourth Year

So Microsoft's reaction to a changing console and video game market is to make a cable box. Good job.

@Samuel: Controllers work fairly well on PC. Xbox controllers work right away. If you have ps3 controllers you can download something called the DS3 Tool and emulate the xbox 360 controller.

5. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

Holy crapbaskets! Are you building a gold- and gem-encrusted supercomputer? I've made fantasy machines that are top of the line, and they rarely break the $2k mark. It'd be better to just build a decent computer with a great processor and memory, and a high-end video card. Maybe a SSD. That will serve you well for a while, maybe 6 years? Then get a new one. Rinse and repeat.

PCs need to be upgraded just like consoles do, but the advantage there is that you can replace the parts anytime instead of waiting for the developer to create a new platform.

EDIT: As for controllers, I haven't had too many problems in game-play. Just make sure that the controller is rated for connecting to a PC. I've had a few issues where XBOX 360 Plug'n'Charge--or Charge'n'Play or whatever it's called--controllers refusing to show up, requiring me to purchase a new one. Best to look up the specific model online before purchase to confirm that it works.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  6. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Anyone remember this?

7. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

How did everyone like the stuff they showed of the new COD? I thought the artifishial intelligence was pretty cool.

NTD
  8. Solomon

Solomon Heir

9. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

The was a terrible pun, you really cod have done better.

NTD
  10. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

Don't forget the new revolutionary story.

11. Immet

Immet Seventh Year

The bit that pisses me off most is the voice recognition thing. I can completely ignore the social media thing- I do with the X360 and normally never see the dashboard for more than 10 seconds. There are whole sections I've never looked at, and whole updates through which I've not bothered checking whats new.

But I don't want some idiot who thinks he's clever to shout "Go to Movies" in the middle of a firefight. Especially if it's something that can be done over the mic.

And what happens if you are LANning? You have two xboxes in the same room and another in the next. One person needs to go and take his xbox, so he says "xbox shut down" and suddenly all three xboxes turn themselves off.

Although needing to connect to the internet once a day for single layer games is almost as bad. The only reason the voice is worse is that it will fuck things up if it is working as intended, whereas if everything is going right then the internet connection is just a hassle.

This is completely bullshit.

Unfortunately, I may end up getting one anyway since sharing games within the same household- especially sharing the same user account- is so much easier with a console.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  12. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I'm sure you can still navigate the menu with your controller. Microsoft is being hubristic, but I don't think they're completely fucking retarded.

13. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I can tolerate a lot of this but one of the primary things that pisses me off beyond words is the idea of needing to connect to the Internet for single player games and anyone who supports/perpetuates the idea should rot and die in a shallow grave. Unless I am going to be playing multiplayer with people that are a noticeable distance away from me, no Internet connection of any kind should be required for anything at all much less single player. I already paid you for your game, it should be mine to play whenever I damned well please not whenever your servers feel like letting me.

14. Solomon

Solomon Heir

For what it's worth, the XBone does not require always-online. What it does require is the ability to check for an internet connection every 24 hours. This is just as bad.

So as long as your XBone checked out the night before, you can play single player entirely offline. The problem is if XBL goes down for any length of time or you live in a place where you can't leave your XBone online for that daily check (hello military, hello travelers), you're just as fucked as if you had always-online.

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Isn't the new one supposed to be keyed to your voice alone, what with the personal profiles?

16. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Which is why it's as you said just as bad to me. Once I purchase their game Im a very firm believer that not one damned thing on their end should influence me being able to play it. It's why just as a for instance while I honestly was interested in the last Sim City game that came out, the nanosecond I found out an Internet connection was necessary I laughed so hard I nearly snapped a rib and completely stopped giving a fuck about it.

17. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves High Inquisitor

Hahahahahahaha. Haha. Ha.

18. bombdiggity92

bombdiggity92 Temporarily Banhammered

Most definitely not getting it. I like playing on consoles I've never played on a pc before, I don't know what I'm missing and I don't want to. But this xbox1 business is a great bit of fuckery is what it is. I'll get the ps4 when it's released I've never had a sony console break on me before. I've owned one ps, one ps2, and one ps3 still using the same ps3 and I've gotten it a few months after they were launched swapped out the harddrive for a 400gb for my downloads. Sony's yet to fail me so I'll stick with the devil I know.

19. Lord Raine

Lord Raine Disappeared DLP Supporter

Thank god Bungie already said Destiny would be released for the PS3 and 360.

It won't be PC, but I guess you can't have everything.

20. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

I can kind of understand why Bungie is a little scared to bring Destiny to the PC. They're a team that made one of the largest fps' in gaming and they treated the PC like a third class citizen when it came to their games. That kind of history doesn't engender any goodwill on the PC gamer side of things, meaning that any reception they get for Destiny will be pretty damn harsh.

On the tech side of things they have been designing on several year old hardware for almost a decade, I don't even know the last game anyone on their team did for the PC which means optimization is going to be a bitch for them. Even before that though the amount of work to make this a game that both aesthetically and functionally PC gamers will want to play over others is something that would be fairly daunting for the console centric devs.

Looking to the silver lining though, this upgraded kinect could do some interesting things for people. Not gamers mind you, the kinect is shit for us. I'm just thinking of all the random tech the kinect helped with since it was made on a more engineering and computer science side of things.