1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"A Song of Ice and Fire" stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by purple, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

Family, Duty, Honour is pretty much a somewhat better version of Harry Stark of Red Winter. Not by much though.

2. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

You have to admit, Red Winter had some great ideas. Like Granola bars.

3. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

That part was particularly cringe worthy

4. Prios

Prios Second Year

I posted it in hopes of enough quality reviews would get him to go back to chapter one and redo the rest, if we just let him get standard FFN reviews then he'll just continue.

And this crossover really needs some goodies, so hopefully more people get interested and start writing :)

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  5. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

Oh god's no... so the section can be riddled with Harry/Jon, Harry/Rob, and Harry/Ned slash? No thanks. I'd rather it stay as it is, lest Celestin decide to write his version of the idea I 'borrowed'.

Other than that... I'll have to decline.

On a separate note Chapter 5 is done for the most part. Just need to make some revisions here and there... I might post it tomorrow, or I might post it tonight. We'll see.

6. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

With the way the crossover fics are going, I'm waiting on the eventuality of a Wildling!Harry. It seems to be the natural progression from Northern!Harry.

7. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

I'm personally keeping my fingers crossed for R'hllor!Harry / plot twist Harry is a Shadow Mage and the son of Mellisandre who is the reincarnation of Lily Potter. He is also the loving big brother of Shireen.

8. Prios

Prios Second Year

Hopefully tonight, no series or anything so I'm bored.

By the way, did you fit the remaining things you wanted into this chapter so it's the last part of the first arc?

9. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

Yep. I had to condense a lot, still, but I managed. The last scene could've been it's own chapter, easy, but I want to get to more current things. And more adult things - battles and sex and what have you. It's not hard, exactly, writing what is essentially a very precocious child, but I'd much rather write about an older Harry. I'll try to cover the next 4-5 years of Harry's life as quickly as possible without rushing things.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  10. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

You do write a very interesting child Harry. It's hard to make a child POV entertaining to read.

11. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

12. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

Pure awesomeness. I had been enjoying the fic, but chapter 5 really took things to the next level.

As for Family, Duty, Honor.... ehhhhh. Harry/Daenerys has the potential to be a cool pairing (both of them are actually similar in a lot of ways), but I don't think this will really do it justice.

13. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

The Prince that Was Promised is good. Love reading it. There are a few characterization issues, but nothing all that bad. What's jarring for me is that Harry is a child and people treat him as an adult, or wish to be in his good graces is a better way of putting it. I understand he is mature for his and age and others take that into consideration.

Tyrion coming to apologize like that kind of irked me. Jaime a little as well. Small complaint really because there is one thing I'm fucking loving.

The interplay between Harry and Cersei. In most fics I read I love seeing how she destroys herself, or in guilty-pleasure fics how she gets some comeuppance. Here, she's still Cerse and still self-destructive, but Harry loves her. His rising star seems to be tied with hers. And if that is how it goes, I can't wait to see how it plays out.

14. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Since the first arc is complete and it's about 50k words, I think this story should be reviewed. I'm unsure though if it should be put in HP fics reviews or other fandoms fics reviews.

15. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

I was wondering when the Tragedy label would earn its stripes...That escalated quickly. On another note, I really like the brief interactions with Stannis.

16. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

Jesus, Harry has a bit of a temper.

17. Deadsomeone

Deadsomeone Third Year

Considering how relatively well this arc ended, I expect the shit to hit the fan soonish. Especially with the new state of play introduced at the end of the chapter.

18. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

I kind of wanted those scenes to have their own chapter, but for the reader's sake, (and my own) compressed it.

What characterization issues do you see?

19. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

The only characterization I had issues with were the Tyrion as I mentioned and the other was with Stannis. Harry did use logic to justify what he did, but I don't think Stannis would have been suddenly, oh you're so right, in that instance. It just seemed liked he agreed to easily with Harry's argument. Logic is good, but Stannis I thought should have been more stubborn until he agreed. Or at least he might have agreed, but not seen that side so easily.

It's hard to explain it, but it's really only a minor quibble, honestly. If rated for the Library I'd still give it a 5/5.

20. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

I think it'll be very interesting to see what directions Cersei goes in, since rarely in fanfic do we see anything that truly changes her character or loyalties. The only things Cersei loves are family and power, and the thing she hates the most is Robert. Cersei ran hot and cold with Harry before because he was family, but he was also Robert's, making him something of an emotional contradiction for her.

But my theory is everything changed in chapter 5. Harry proved he was hers in every way that mattered when he defended her from Robert, something no one else had ever done, not even her brother. In the previous events of the day, he proved he was both dangerous and powerful, even going so far as defeating Sandor Clegane without raising a hand, at the age of nine.

Pure Cersei.