1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

E3 2013

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

2. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Since Master Chief's faceplate was all cracked and he was holding Cortana's data chip on a chain, and from the fact they mentioned this 2nd in the Reclaimer trilogy will be a lot darker, I assume in the scene Master Chief's on a quest to do something related to Cortana, and that his armor is probably kind of fucked if it can't deal with desert sand.

Or, since he's wearing monk robes, it might be a fever dream. I don't think the robes are SO out of place considering the religious undertones the series has always had. I mean, it's called Halo for fucks sake.

3. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

Wouldn't surprise me after the arrogance of calling the next XBox "XBox One". I really enjoyed Halo from its early stages to Halo3/ODST, even appreciated Reach for what it was. But 343's Halo4 was such a buggy disgrace of failed gameplay I have no expectations anymore.
    If the studio which was created just for continuing that universe didn't understand what defined the strength of the game(s) they are screwed.

The gameplay of that demo bored me.

Thief, though not really looking that good gfx wise, promises at least some quality gameplay.

4. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The Dragon Age Inquisition trailer made me sad. So very, very sad.

5. Lord Raine

Lord Raine Disappeared DLP Supporter

Naturally, tastes are mostly opinion.

That being said, it kinda was. It got the action sort-of okay, I'll grant you, but it spread itself out too far to be called 'good' in anything.

And the writing and plot were utterly atrocious. It tried to explain why Lara is a priceless-artifact hoarding historical-site wrecking supervillain of the archeological world. The problem is, nobody actually gives a shit, and you're going to do a horrible job of it anyway, so why even bother?

Remember the last time this happened? Remember goddamn Anakin Skywalker? How about fucking Other M?

Speaking of which, Tomb Raider was to rape what Other M was to motherhood. To describe it as merely ham-fisted is to insult the term. This is not ham-fisted. It is ham-fisting. A ham, whole and intact and with the word 'METAPHOR' branded boldly across it, is being inserted straight up the rectum of you, the viewer.

It is not a metaphor at that point. It is a mental violation, an image wherein the subject matter is slapping it's penis in the face of everything that is classy and in good taste.

The people who write this shit have no goddamn idea what they're doing. They can't comprehend the idea that less might be more when it comes to metaphors and subcontext. Slather on the rape and motherhood and teenage twatatude! There's no such thing has heavy handed where we're going!

But if you can completely ignore the entire story, everything in the plot, and are willing to overlook the mediocre game mechanics, then yes, I suppose it is possible to still masturbate to the main character if you're under the age of fifteen.

So I'll give you that it's good for the demographic it's aimed at.

After what they did to Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3, I too am curious, though more in a morbid sense. Tis the same curiosity with which one watches YouTube videos of riots, or observes their own feces floating in the toilet before it is banished to splatter upon the shingles of Hades.

6. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I have my doubts about AC Black Flag but holy shit does the new trailer look awesome. For a second I thought it was live action.

7. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Trials Fusion (the next-gen one) is no longer XBOX exclusive. Will be on PS4 as well.

8. Lord Raine

I'm not a graphics whore, never have been, and never will be. Dwarf Fortress for life, son.

That being said, this generation of graphics has me excited, because this is the point where we've basically come within pissing distance of photorealism. We've reached the point where any additional processing power we put into a game is basically going to the physic engine and the vanity stuff like clothing ripples, realistic light and shadow effects, particle effects where each particle is tracked and moved seperately, and reflecting light and objects in real-time off of shiny surfaces.

We've reached the point where a still is basically the same is a photo at the upper end.

All that's left is to move sideways and fill in all the gaps we weren't able to before, and the differences between live-action and computer-generated will all but vanish.

And that's exciting.

9. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

Hell yeah new Tom Clancy

10. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh, good start. I've seen a lot of people start their arguments with this, so here, I'll just finish it for you: "But, your opinions are objectively wrong, and here's why."

You don't give a shit =/= nobody gives a shit. The game revitalized the series and drew in a lot of fans.

You completely lost me with the rape thing. As I remember there was one scene where Lara was assaulted, and she shot the guy in the head before he could even do anything to her. It's not even out of place or anything, the guy was stuck on an island for years, probably, with only men, and by joining the cult had clearly lost all moral reservations whatsoever. I don't know about the Metroid game, I've never played it.

11. Solomon

Solomon Heir

The Metroid game was extremely misogynistic and turned Samus into a whimpering piece of shit who grovels at the hand at her former boss and Yoshio Sakamoto's self-insert, Adam.

EDIT: At least, I think it was Adam. In any case, Yoshio Sakamoto needs to stay the fuck away from Metroid. Fucking ruined that game.

12. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

The thing is that the rendered Dragon Age trailer looked worse than the actual gameplay trailer of the Witcher 3.

But it was within my expectations and the setting offers some promise so I am content to wait and see how it develops.

It will be also be interesting to see how both games manage the savegame transfer.. I find it ironic and telling that both franchises use a big,global war to minimize the influence of the old games.

(And I am pretty sure that we will play as Morrigans son/daughter.. somebody willing to bet against me?)

PS: I also liked the Tomb raider game, hell I even liked Anakin, but I have found out long ago that discussing games or movies with Lord Raine is an pointless exercise.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  13. Lord Raine

Did anyone else get a laugh out of Microsoft's quasi-mythical Roman Centurian thing?

My circle has already nicknamed it "Quicktime Event: The Quickening."

And I could have pre-emptively responded to myself in your stead by getting pissy and being a fanboy about a series that died ages ago and centers around a protagonist that has all the empathy and depth of Duke Nukem, but without the classroom smacktalk and poop-jokes that made him almost entertaining to watch.

But I didn't. Because that would have been rude. I need to allow you the opportunity to use terms like "revitalize the series" and "you completely lost me" on your own. Otherwise, the exchange is meaningless.

And I'm not surprised that I've completely lost you, because you're apparently still living in 1997.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  14. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm totally behind this idea. Fucking awesome.

I'm already imagining the story line with this. Must... resist... expecting... disappointment.

15. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

But I want to be able to romance her again and I doubt they will allow it if she is the main character's mother. Or maybe they will to make the game more edgy. ;)

16. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Detroit Simulator 2013 is the only thing that really stood out from the Ubisoft conference. Much in the same way I know that the next M. Night Shamalamadingdong film is going to be terrible, I know every single one of those EA games from franchises I love are going to suck.

Not sure how I like the idea of Phantom Pain being Red Dead Solid, but I have some faith in Kojima. Killer Instinct is being handled by a developer whose claim to fame is ruining franchises and we just didn't see (or hear) anything about the new Panzer Dragoon game to really have a decision made either way.

So yeah, the Division is currently in the lead for my "interesting game which showed real gameplay" award, which is the only one which I feel matters.

17. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

18. Lord Raine

I doubt it seriously. The direction of II implied that the future was more about a teamup of some sort between Hawk and the Warden, and the upcoming Really Big Clusterfuck.

I doubt we'll get to play as Griffith.

19. Solomon

Solomon Heir

The Sony conference is scheduled to start in about five minutes. Looking forward to seeing what they've got for us.

FEdit: And unlike with the Xbone conference, I'm not going into this expecting a trainwreck (though I wouldn't be surprised if it was.)

20. Crimson13

Crimson13 Professor

Didn't see E3, I was working. Never have anyway, I always just watch the trailers afterward.

I watched the Dragon Age 3 one a little while ago and while it is exciting it really doesn't tell much. It sucks that I'm not going to play it for about a year and a half but having them take the time to make it great is the cost then I'm all for it.

One thing that I wondered though, what do you think the dragon is? You guys think it's a redone Flemeth in her dragon form, a regular High Dragon, or a Old God? I think there's...5-6 of them left after the last Blight so it could be. I'm also really interested in what became of my character's and Morrigan's Old God child, I really hope it's not going to be some short cutscene or battle acknowledging it or something equally shitty.