1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

E3 2013

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Megaman in Smash. Fuck yeah.

Fairy Type confirmed in Pokemon X/Y. A fucking dragon bat with speakers on its head, fuck yeah. Fuck yeaaaahhhhhhh.

2. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Except, despite them claiming that, it isn't actually exclusive. It's also coming out for PC and Xbox 360.

3. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

[​IMG]

Fuck y'all for the lack of excitement over SSB. Smash Bros. is going to be so much fun.

4. Pasta Sentient

Pasta Sentient Disappeared

Just a note on Dragon Age: Inquisition, the trailer was entirely in-game footage according to the mods over at the Bioware forums. No CGI there apparently.

5. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

Dragon Age is an open world RPG. Well, I'm now convinced that Bioware don't even want to try and make new games anymore. They're happy with taking another game and slapping a dialogue wheel on top of it. First Gears of War, then World of Warcraft, now they're looking at Skyrim.

And now in a stunning display of double standards, I'm going to go off and masturbate over all the sequels and remakes Nintendo showed. Excuse me.

6. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, the Bioware forum's mods have always been trustworthy. :rolleyes:

I'll wait for some actual gameplay footage.

End of rine.

EDIT: An amazing extended Metal Gear Solid V trailer.

Looks incredibly dark, even for Metal Gear. Spoilers for people unfamiliar with Metal Gear:

This is definitely where Big Boss starts becoming a villain in his own right. Hopefully we see more about Cypher becoming the Patriots and taking complete control, as well as more about the people that make up Cypher -- even if we know who they are, their exact motivations and characterization was left to the wayside before. Seeing their descent into madness firsthand would be welcome.

I could see the ending leading directly into the beginning of the very first Metal Gear, with Big Boss ruling over Outer Heaven.

By the way, if you're interested in the series, play the games in release order. That's:

- Metal Gear
    - Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
    - Metal Gear Solid
    - Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
    - Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
    - Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
    - Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
    - Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (This latest one)

The first two games aren't strictly required -- Metal Gear Solid has "previous story" files that lay everything from those games out if you just want to read it. The first two are very dated, and the later games retcon the hell out of them and greatly expand on them.

There's a Legacy Collection coming out for the PS3 soon that has pretty much everything. There's also an HD collection that has MGS2, 3 and Peace Walker for the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Non-canon games include Snake's Revenge, the Metal Gear Acid games, Ghost Babel and Portable Ops.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  7. Lord Raine

Lord Raine Disappeared DLP Supporter

My body wasn't ready.

8. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

It's like Kojima decided to take everything that is wrong with the modern world and put it in his game.

9. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    First, stop calling them Bioware. Bioware is long dead and the thing that keeps putting out games is just the hollowed out corpse puppet EA makes dance to keep bilking money out of people.

Second, I just saw the new Saints Row 4 trailer and it looks so batshit crazy it's hard to express the appropriate amount of "Holy shit I want it." Preordering right now.

10. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    FFXV, KH3, Destiny, Second Son and Oddworld remake almost had me weeping with joy while watching at work.

Curious question though. If Cloud/ sephiroth/ squall and other Sony exclusive FF characters are in KH3, does that mean Sony own the rights to it?

Personally, i'd love to dangle KH over my friends heads of they buy an xbone.

11. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Halo 5, One exclusive.

Ouch.

Methinks that isn't going to go down too well.

Also, checked out the new trailer for Generals II...

My God. Cartoony as fuck.

The gameplay might be good, but the art-style is a fucking joke.

12. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I didn't watch the conference personally, but I heard the Square-Enix conference confirmed that both FFXV and KH3 are multiplatform.

13. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Honestly, did anyone actually expect anything else? It's always been an exclusive (apart from early PC forays) and it's consistently the biggest draw for Xbox consoles.

14. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I'm pretty sure Microsoft just owns Halo. There should be no surprise about Halo being exclusive.

15. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

There's still a huge user-base for the 360, and not everyone is entirely sold on the new, ah, console.

While there are die-hard Halo fanboys out there, not all of them will pay God knows how many hundred+ for both the new game and the new console to play it on.

They're just as annoying as CoD fags, but they're not entirely stupid.

I think Microsoft has made a huge fuckup.

16. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

Wii Fit Trainer in Smash Bros. Nintendo just officially won E3. Forever.

17. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

This may sound stupid to you guys but can we stop saying that a particular company "won" E3? It's not a competition, it's a showcase. The competition is the sales war. I don't give a damn how good or bad some of the presentations have been but seriously the making it into a competition is just retarded.

18. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Lord Raine, for Dragon Age 3, it's been released that you will be playing a new protagonist, just like the previous two games.

However, unlike the last two games, they've hinted that you might get to run into your old two characters.

I, for one, am just happy that Morrigan is returning for almost certain. She was without a doubt my favorite character in either game.

19. Nae

Nae The Violent

That Metal Gear Trailer - holy shit.

Might end up buying a PS4 after all. <_<

20. Lord Raine

Lord Raine Disappeared DLP Supporter

But the final boss will still probably be a professional wrestler in a business suit spouting cartoonish conservative nihilism.

If you think being "like the original Duke Nukem" is an insult, then I KNOW you didn't play those games.

Tomb Raider 2 is one of the highest grossing video games of all time. When it came out, it sold over 8 million copies, which was completely unheard of at the time. It was also an objectively entertaining game.

Tomb Raider 2013, on the other hand, had a middling reception at best. It sold only three million copies, and most of those were on the release day and the days immediately following, when no one had any idea how good the game actually was. Three million sold today is not amazing. It's not even very good. It's certainly nowhere near what eight million in 1997 was.

This isn't opinion. It's fact. The numbers back it up. The Tomb Raider reboot was lukewarm at best, and a failure at worst. It's not even an enemic shadow of its former self, and it was "a revitalizing breath of fresh air to the series" the same way AvP breathed life back into the Alien franchise.

Only the most dire fanboy would claim that Tomb Raider was anything better than 'okay.' It was a 6 at best, and that's being generous. I rate harsh. Anything that ranks below a seven in my book gets an automatic zero, because I'm not interested in wasting my time with mediocre games. There are a (very) few exceptions to that, such as Dante's Inferno, which I'd probably rate at being six-ish, but I'd still recommend to people on the grounds that it's a six because the game basically ends 2/3ds of the way through. Everything after the City of Dis is a waste of time. It's like they shipped the game in Beta format or something. But the first half of the game is great, and it has one of the most amazing beginnings I've ever seen. If you're willing to overlook the complete disregard for every aspect of the plot of the Divine Comedy, including the bit where Beatrice is supposed to be the ever-pure light that guides Dante through the darkness of Hell, it's a pretty amazing game. So it's an exception.

Tomb Raider 2013 is not an exception. There was nothing exceptional about it to warrant it being an exception. It was okay at best at everything, it has the distinct fingerprints of modern era "gritty gaming" culture smeared all over it, and it didn't have anything mindblowing or utterly kickass going on. The plot was meh, the execution was meh, the platforming was good but not enough to sell the entire game on (unlike Tomb Raider 2), and it seemed like they were thinking about having a dedicated Survival mechanic at some point, but then chickened out halfway through. The game has entirely too many tutorials where they teach you how to do something you'll never have to use again, and the challenges just provide fake substance to the game, as opposed to adding depth like they're supposed to.

It's just not a great game. An okay game, yes. There's nothing wrong with it. It's just mostly phoning it in, like a lot of other titles that have been released recently, and considering the legacy it is coming from, that's not exactly an amazing return.

It doesn't even have a dinosaur cameo.

E3 isn't a competetion between gaming manufacturers in the same way the Olympics isn't about being the best, but international cooperation and goodwill.

It's technically true, but you'd struggle to build a rational argument that the spirit of the event is still being followed.