1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

E3 2013

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

What is this gibberish I'm hearing? Metal Gear Whatnow? Which dogs? What Division? Ryse: Son of whom!?

Pah. Waste your time with inferior "video games" all you like. Stare at a screen all your life. Never amount to anything. Rot your brain. Pah! See if I care. It's clear your mother never taught you that The Witcher 3 is going to be the greatest game ever made and played.

[IMGUR]Mk1gqTi[/IMGUR]

2. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Fine, we will stop arguing about who won. But MS definitely lost this year E3. ;)

Better cartoonish wrestler than a new The Boss. My heart is still broken.

3. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I'm not saying Sony won E3. I'm saying it won the console war this gen. Big difference. :colbert:

4. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

This. So much this.

Saw a bust of The Boss over at Sideshow Collectibles this morning, my heart broke all over again...

5. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I would have preferred to have gotten the original Metal Gear Solid: Rising game they were making, which would've taken place between MGS2 and 4, instead of "Revengeance." The game we got just seems ridiculous, even for Metal Gear. I haven't played it yet though.

6. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Revengeance is fucking incredible, I will hear nothing against it.

7. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

But... stopping the war economy by boosting the war economy...

8. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Played the demo on the 360, I thought it was terrible. Movement was twitchy and inaccurate, and the combat was awkward and repetitive. I get that it's just a demo, but demos are supposed to make me want to play the game, and this one failed.

Admittedly, I only played the demo, so I can't speak for the full game.

Then again, I've hated Raiden since MGS2.

Whoops.

That damn gameplay yesterday made me remember just how much I love Metal Gear as a series. I even dug up my copy of VR Missions. Now I just need to quit procrastinating and finish my work so that I can actually play it.

9. Solomon

Solomon Heir

The combat in Metal Gear Rising is its best part. It is very, very good. Maybe the demo wasn't great, I dunno.

10. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

The combat + the soundtrack = Gold

Metal Gear Rising was amazing for that alone.

11. Solomon

Solomon Heir

For what it's worth, Revengeance's systems aren't explained very well*, and they don't really fully unlock until you beat the first Winds of Destruction boss (unsurprisingly, the boss of the first real chapter.) You see, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance actually kinda works on a Mega Man level, where Raiden will gain his enemies' weapons. They become his secondary weapons, which really ramp up the amount of shit you can do. Prior to that, if memory serves (it's been a long time since I played without a secondary weapon), Raiden just uses his sword as a heavy attack.

Additionally, you can't buy upgrades in the demo, and there are two upgrades that are absolutely critical to playing the game well: The Air Parry (which allows you to block in mid-air) and the Dodge Attack (which allows you to dodge enemy attacks and has invincibility frames). There are other upgrades (such as the game's equivalent of Viewtiful Joe's Red Hot Kick, which I can't remember the actual name of) which also help a shitload, but those two are the critical ones.

*Seriously, the command list is in the start menu (not the normal in-game menu like the in-game store) as "Help." It should be "Skills" or something, but welp.

12. Equinox

Equinox Seventh Year

Second that. I love me some Halo, but no way will I buy the Xbone just for it if it turns out the way it's going. Besides, the one game I want is coming out on PC anyways, so eh.

13. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Versus/15 gameplay vid.

Welcome to Behemoth Land! Home of the Behemoth! Have you seen our latest selection of Behemoths? Here... try one out.

14. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm honestly not willing to acknowledge that game as a Final Fantasy. Spoken as one who has played all the Final Fantasies. The only things left are some monster designs and probably some obscure crystal references. I look at that setting and gameplay, and I see a hollow shell of mediocrity I have no interest in playing.

15. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

I never did really get into the Witcher. Couldnt hold my interest for some reason.

MGSV, Watch Dogs, Last of Us, Lightning Returns(if only for the spetecle how insane can this story get? Can it even get more nutty. IT SURE CAN!)

Poor poor Microsoft... They kind of shit the bed on this. Depending on a loyal hardcore fanbase that will buy it anyways. Hmm Kind of sounds like they're taking a page out of Apple's strategy.

"We're Apple Microsoft. They'll buy anything!"

Except that only really worked when Apple cornered the market on smart phones and MP3 players early and Microsoft... well you've got the WiiU and the PS4 both arguably on the same playing field and a cheaper price.

Shot yourself in the foot there didnt ya?

16. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I do think it was silly to rebrand as 15. They should have just dropped the 13 and called it FF Versus. Now people are going to whine that it's not a 'real' Final Fantasy title, even though the entire FF fanbase has been waiting with baited breath for news of Versus for half a decade.

Tetsuya Nomura doesn't make bad games when he has control of the creative reigns. Even the very worst of the KH titles are still fun as all hell. It's not traditional FF no, but I wouldn't write it off just yet.

17. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You'd have to debate what makes a 'real' FF game FF.

Turn based combat?
    World maps?
    Random encounters?
    Moogles, chocobos and Tonberries?
    Protagonists incapable of growing facial hair?

I love FF too. Played every one of them, but i'm not blinding myself to the fact that since IX, FF has been a slowly ecolving franchise.

Should they just find 'perfection' and just pump out different stories? (like tales of x games) or should they try innovate with each iteration?

I dunno, but XV looks to play like KH, probably one of my favourite games of all time (that no.1 spot will always belong to you, Snap). You won't hear me complaining.

18. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was pretty happy with the levels of innovation that existed in FF7-12. Different job systems, equipment systems, customisation systems, levelling systems, voice acting, the sphere grid, mini games, modes of transport, always visible enemies, etc. And obviously the world, story and characters change each time.

You don't need to go full action RPG to innovate.

(I still weep for the loss of the world map).

That said, XV does look awesome - definitely far better than XIII. Just not as awesome as it could have been with turn based combat. I like to be able to think in FF combat. To plan my moves. To have the time to scroll through a list of 50 possible actions and consider each one before attacking. Not be running around like a headless chicken spamming attacks as quickly as I can, selecting the most convenient options in a blind panic rather than the best possible combinations.

My ideal Final Fantasy:

Story and characters: VII
    Music: VII
    Aesthetic/art style: IX
    Graphics: XIII
    Voice acting (if any): XII
    Character development system: combination of X and IX (sphere grid but constrained by a job system, each job has a grid and you can't change)
    Combat system: Turn based and unlimited character switching of X
    Mini games: X
    Chocobos: VII
    Summons: X
    Enemy encounters: Always visible enemies of XII
    World map/world openess: VII
    Transport: VIII (trains woot)
    Money system: VIII (job with salary and promotion)
    Equipment customisation system: X
    Card game: VIII

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  19. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I thought the one thing XIII nailed was combat, lol. It had a steep learning curve though for when you go from panic to tactical mastery.

20. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

FF15 looks amazing. Look at it, ignoring the labeling (I've long stopped considering Final Fantasy to be a series), and just look how pretty it is. Just a few years ago this would be the highest level CG prerendered video, and now it's actual gameplay?

Remember the scene in X where you jumped off the airship to assault a castle? Now you can play that scene.