1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, but ghosts are inherently magical, whereas the camera is possibly not; I can much more easily accept that changing things than some potentially perfectly ordinary camera.

And yeah, I see what you mean about the glasses. Fair point, although I'm amazed I've not seen a fic that uses the idea, however crap it might be.

2. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

There is also, y'know, Argus Filch.

I was actually referring to this story.

3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Otherwise known as Schrödinger's Second Principle.

4. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Yes, I knew about Argus, but as the OP was mentioning being named after gods or goddesses (more specifically, the Olympian deities), I chose not to include a reference to a "primordial giant."

Lucius, Draco, Cornelius, Bartemius, Albus, Severus, Minerva, Filius, Aurora (Sinistra), Remus, and Rubeus all seem pretty Latinate.

On the Greek side, you also have Alecto and Amycus though.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  5. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

I figured that was where you took it from I just said that I would rather worry about a Basilisk because that would be far more likely to happen AND it is something I can do more about... Weeping Angels is basically pray for Deus Ex Machina.
    Maybe it is enchanted or one built by magic in the first place? Don't recall if the photos Colin took moved or not...

Probably because anyone capable of thinking of that considers it a stupid idea... I suppose personally I would be fine if one of the petrified people was so because of that since they shouldn't have survived at all, dumb luck is dumb luck either way.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  6. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Professor

As others have said, think Latin not Greek. Also, if you're looking for names, get yourself a list of Roman cognomina. There's a lot of them in canon. Albus and Severus, for example. Other names are not real cognomina but are in the same style. Draco for example.

7. R. Daneel Olivaw

R. Daneel Olivaw Groundskeeper

I think in the HP universe they call that a 'wand'.

Seriously, none of those kids thought of conjuring something with a bunch of eyes? Hermione must have read about that somewhere.

8. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

I don't want to bump the thread and give someone false hope...what is going on with Lamora's Game of Champions?

9. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Riddikulus is probably easier than conjuring something.

10. Crimson13

Crimson13 Professor

What do you guys think are the mechanics of Avada Kedavra? Does it stop your brain, heart, organs all at once? Flat out say "You're no longer alive." like a state of being? Push out or destroy your soul?

I've been thinking about it in my head but I'm not sure which one sounds more likely.

11. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There are many curses which can kill people through the medium of other effects: blood loss, burning, etc. They are named after those effects. Cutting Curse, Blasting Curse, etc.

Yet only the Killing Curse is called the Killing Curse. I'd argue that it doesn't work through any mechanism, it just makes you dead.

That's not canon, though, just an argument using what we see in canon.

What we can say from canon definitely is that it doesn't get rid of your soul, because then the effect would be the same as that of Dementor victims.

12. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

I've always gone with the idea that it just flat out shuts down the body. One second the person is breathing, thinking, his blood pumping; the next, nothing. Like flipping a switch kind of thing.

13. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

If Creevey was using an SLR camera, then the image was moving through a lens, a screen, and multiple mirrors. I don't think the book specifies, and I haven't seen the films, so assume it's an SLR.

[​IMG]

14. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Now I have to wonder how the camera takes a picture if there's a mirror in the way.

15. yak

The mirror flips out of the way when you take the shot. SLR cameras are the only type of camera where the image in the viewfinder is the same as the image being sent to the film. Point-and-shoots have you look through a window which passes through the body of the camera and the image you're seeing is only approximately what you're going to end up with on film.

16. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

It definitely doesn't destroy the soul, or there wouldn't have been anything for the Resurrection Stone to summon, when Harry spoke to his parents (or Lily, at least), in Deathly Hallows.

What I wonder is how my luck managed to be bad enough that I unwittingly bought my Nikon N80 the very year they went, "You know what? Fuck film. Fuck it entirely. Let's go all digital and watch that poor schmuck cry all over his hundreds of dollars of outdated camera when he sees all the current digital SLRs drop in price." :mad:

17. yak

Hahah! I remember that. Photography nerds were confident that SLRs were here to stay and that the DSLRs were going to remain in the domain of the very wealthy and the very lazy; the market would see the light, and the purity of SLRs would reign forever.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  18. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

Since the Doctor doesn't carry a bunch of insects around when he knows he is going to be dealing with them I personally assumed it only counts sapient beings...

Though off course if it does work for any living being then yes it is possible if you assume transfigured things are actually living beings instead of the former object shaped by magic in a fake being.

19. nath1607

nath1607 Groundskeeper

Is the imperious curse the most OP spell in the HP universe? Also, is it implied how many people were thought (fake and real) to have come out from under the imperious curse after the first war? The only reason I see them coming out is with the spell canceling after Voldemort lost his form, and I just don't see him going around personally to put people under his control.

20. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

Well from canon it looks like that curse works against anyone who isn't one of the main characters from either side...

More seriously considering the characters we do see affected and to what extent I would say only it is far by the worst one. The average person would be completely unable to resist it and even the higher ones it takes a while. Crouch was supposed to be a pretty good wizard dedicated to the fight and yet he goes several months working normally under it before being kept home and even then it takes longer for him to fight it somewhat(very badly). Unless the cost is exponential then the lowest numbers I can think of is hundreds of puppets for Voldemort, either directly or indirectly, in the first war.

Is it any wonder Voldemort was winning?

Not open for further replies.