1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

General League of Legends V 3.0

Discussion in 'League of Legends' started by Jon, Jul 7, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Hey.. what are your favorite mid champs? I mostly play Malzahar and Morgana and want to expand on that. Tried Xerath but failed pretty hard (I just don´t do enough dmg with him). I am looking for something not easily countered with a lot6 of versatility.

2. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Kassadin if you want to taste your opponents' delicious tears of frustration. Pretty straightforward champ, not very hard to learn. Diana is also such a champ. A bit more powerful than the usual fare, and easy enough to work with.
    For a bit more complexity you can try champions such as Lissandra, Twisted Fate, or Ahri, who can make great plays but requires a higher level of skill.

If you like aggressive play, pick up Zed, see how you do.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  3. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

Brand is a strong early poke thanks to his passive and later on, is amazing in team fights because of his ulti and AoE abilities.

There's Twisted Fate, who brings a ridiculous amount of utility and global pressure but is squishy as fuck.

I'd also recommend trying out Anivia. She has great cc in slow/stun, a wall that can block escapes when placed correctly, and a GA passive. Her damage is quite good and when picked with a liandry's torment, can wreck the whole team with her ulti.

4. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

Morgana/Fiddle/TF - Though I play mid maybe 1 game every 100 so, don't take my advice much.

Generally you just want someone that can push hard/has good wave clear, is a good duelist and ideally can follow up/roam quickly.

I'd recommend Diana, Ahri or maybe Fizz as they're not too shabby at all of the above. Kassadin works too but expect to be ganked/harassed all day till you're 6.

5. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Fiddlesticks Mid is the LAST thing I would ever recommend anybody. Tough laning phase, easy to gank, and really the only kill potential is if you catch someone off guard with your ultimate (not counting jungle ganks).

If you want some safe mids to learn/play more, than TF, Lux, Orianna, Anivia are all good choices.

Ad mids have things like Zed, Riven, Pantheon, but I wouldn't recommend them unless you are comfortable with them.

Playing Assasins are actually harder than you think (not laning, but to help carrying the game).

6. Myst

Myst Headmaster

The answer to midlane is always Viktor, Karma, Syndra and Heimerdinger.

7. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

Like I said, I rarely if ever play Mid and have a non-existant champion pool for it because everybody wants it all day every day, the only champ I ever had success with was Fiddle so, I play it from time to time - though this was before every new champion had a stupidly long gap closer.

8. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

No matter what the best champion to learn is always Lux.

9. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

My favorites... Akali, Karma, Lux, Ahri, Veigar(Tank-Veigar is amusing in particular, even if requires careful focus when farming. +200-300 or more on Q-bonus is recommended.). Oh, Zyra is still fun, even if I just started playing her again recently, and I used to play a fair bit of LeBlanc before I got Ahri and Akali.

10. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

AP mid Miss Fortune. Make it rain. Make it rain pentakills all day long. 8D

11. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

What.

Just... How? Xerath have tons of Mpen and some of the highest AP ratios for full combo in a 5s shot. As well as longest mage poke range to wittle down enemies. All you really need to do is stack AP like mad and call it a day.

As for good mids, depends on situation and skill, but I largely default to Talon, Kassadin, Cho'gath, Xerath, Zed, and Pantheon.

All off them have incredible ganking and are able to pretty much solo carry a game if even remotely fed.

Talon, Pantheon, Zed, and Kassadin are amazing roamers.

Talon, Xerath, Zed, and Pantheon are huge lane bullies.

Cho, Panth, and Xerath all have ways of starting fights hard if the team's not responding.

Cho, Xerath, and Zed have great siege games.

Cho, Kassadin, and Xerath are basically unkillable when played well by either abusing their CCs, range, or innate bulkiness vs their respective damage types.

Every one of them also has decent to ridiculous sustained damage output also, so it's not like not being able to kill someone in a rotation horribly screws them over.

All of them also can pick and choose their targets at any time in a team fight and are practically guaranteed a kill on any squishy they aim for.

In each build, CDR with Blue as a supplement is very strong and drastically increases their DPS from their already low CD skills.

So yeah, my mid picks tend to be those who excel at screwing the enemy over, ganking, and assassinating enemy champs at-will while having decent (Kass) to ridiculous (everyone else) wave clearing.

12. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Headmaster DLP Supporter

Ryze. Build tanky, do tons of damage, carry. His waveclear is ass when ult is down and he's hard to master but easy to pick up.

Jayce can be as strong mid as he is top though I rarely get the chance to play it. Otherwise, Zyra, Orianna and Lux are my go-to mids.

13. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Lux is a great mid (my second favorite) and so is Xerath (third favorite).

But my personal favorite is Viktor. Long-range Harass/Waveclear with E, disengage with W, and if you get close enough, trade with Q.

One of my favorite things to do is walk up to an opponent a couple seconds before their ability comes off CD, Q them, then walk away laughing while my shield eats all the damage they're going to try and do to me in return. E-ing them on the way.

If you smartcast, I wouldn't recommend smartcasting his E, as it can be rather difficult to aim that way.

R>E>Q>W. Your kill potential at 6 is deceptive, since your ult does a lot of it's damage over time. Make sure to harass them down before hand, though.

Also, few people play him, and even fewer are good at him, so his capabilities and how to counter him are not well known or practiced.

Additionally, he's got good teamfight utility AND damage. W-R-E for Tons Of Damage™ and good CC. Especially if you have Rylais.

My personal build path is Dring + 2 > Hex Core Upgrade: Death + Boots > Boots 2 (if ahead, if not buy later) > RoA > Deathcap > Liandry's > Rylai's. At full build with both Rylais and RoA + shield you're fairly tanky (for a non-tank mage). Liandry's and his upgraded Death Ray synergize very well, doing more damage than most anticipate even after the ability lands.

The other thing about Viktor is that due to the nature of his Hex Core upgrade, he gets his power earlier than some other champions.

A six-item Viktor's Death Ray MUST be respected if you do not have good MR.

He has very little mobility, though, so you want to make sure and play safe if they have gap-closing junglers like Udyr, Xin or Nocturne. He's good vs any Jungler who has to just walk into lane to gank, though (Nasus, for instance), since his W shuts them down flat.

Two things make or break a good Viktor. Landing his E, and using his W correctly. His W in particular is an incredibly versatile and underappreciated skill. An AOE slow-stun that persists for quite some time. It can be used to get kills, for teamfight utility, to save a teammate, or even for fantastic disengage if you're being chased by the enemy team.

tl;dr Viktor is awesome. Learn him. Love him. Lead your team to Viktory.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  14. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

Viktor? Hell no. I wouldn't recommend Viktor to anyone. He's a decent champion and he can be a lot of fun, but he's nowhere NEAR good enough to justify the amount of effort he takes to play him well.

Playing a mage like Annie or Ryze is like playing Chopsticks. Playing Viktor is like playing Flight of the Bumblebee.

15. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Viktor is actually relatively easy to play tbh, as soon as you get the hang onf his laser. To Walking Disaster's build, most of it is good, though I recommend that you try skipping Rod of Ages completely. The moment when Viktor shines the most is mid game, and rushing a Deathcap/Rylais after 2 Dorans + Death Hex Core upgrade makes him much more potent. The extra space is better used on something like Zhonyas/Abyssal, in my opinion at least.

16. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You've got a fair point, my build path is generally centered around the idea of being ahead. Since my peformance on Viktor is generally very Binary in nature. Rape or Get Raped. Building the RoA thus makes him tankier late game when his omgwtfbbq damage falls off a bit and he has to put himself in more danger to get off kills. It's certainly not the only viable path for him.

@ElDee: You are underestimating Viktor. His E is really the only difficult part of his kit to get a hold of, and it's not that hard. If you can land a rumble ult, you can land a Viktor E. On top of that, he's very powerful. I can't even recall how many times I've had teammates or enemies exclaim at a Laser chopping off half their health after being even only moderately ahead.

I will admit that his kit doesn't have the Flow that many other kits have. It's not smooth or simple like, say, Kassadin or Ryze. But the rewards from learning it are underestimated by many, many players. As ElDee himself is an Example of.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  17. Daedros

Daedros Seventh Year

Orianna, Karthus, and Morgana are my favorite midlaners. I personally think Ori is one of the strongest mids out there right now, though, because you can pick her into pretty much anything and as long as you get a reasonable amount of farm and can land your ult you're going to be a massive presence in teamfights.

18. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

The one problem I have with Or is her freaking ball, mostly her attack - her q. I just cannot seem to get a hang of it, I had Ori for 3 Aram's today and it just seems like the range on q is... lacking? The circle for the range of its ability around you just seems off in some way - it's entirely possible I don't have a feel for it but it just feels shorter than the displayed range, especially when chasing given the balls movement speed which you have to account for.

Outside that, love her as you can't go to far wrong.

19. Daedros

Daedros Seventh Year

I dunno, I've always smartcasted with Ori. Her ranges feel pretty intuitive after you play her long enough, and I can't imagine her Q range being any longer, that sounds broken OP. She already can harass like crazy with Q's low cooldown and be well out of range of most mages.

20. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

I'm not saying that Viktor is bad. I'm not underestimating him. I play Viktor, I know he can be strong if you get ahead, I know he can instaburst anything short of a tank and chunk off huge amounts of health with Death Ray. Viktor is absolutely a strong, viable champion.

I also know that Annie can do all of that with a fraction of the mental effort it takes to master the vector targeting on Death Ray.

Riot did a fantastic job with Master Yi's new kit. He still has the fun parts of his old AP build, but with all the best parts of his AD build. He's still piss-weak against crowd control and you still randomly die to AoE splash damage when building glass cannon, but he's so much fun to play. And he's still an absolute fucking beast when late game rolls around and he has six items.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
Not open for further replies.