1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How Would You Have Written HP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rhaegar I, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

I would give Voldemort actual viable reasons for wanting to kill muggles and mudbloods, as well as give Harry some drive. There'd be foreshadowing in the early books so by the end it doesn't seem like I'm pulling shit from my ass. More relationships, more student interaction, and I'd have done something with the Forbidden Forest. Snape wouldn't have been such a cunt.

2. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

You had me right up until

Snape isn't Snape if he's not a festering cunt.

3. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It depends slightly on the school. You take your GCSE's at 15ish, then move on to sixth form for A-Levels. Not every school has a sixth form though, and you don't have to stay at the same one for it. So you could either move to a different school, or move to a college, or, of course, finish education there and then. Post GCSE would be a good point to start Hogwarts if you wanted Harry a little older while still keeping the educational setting.

4. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

I'd probably keep stuff the way it was until book 5. Personally, I would've wanted to focus on two things.

* What a full scale wizarding war would look like. Including the different fighting styles, kinds of magic, the multiple magical nations and their roles. Magical creatures. Basically going onto far greater detail and far greater scale.

* Character development. Harry starts off as a goodie-goodie and that never really changes. I would've liked to see a lot more development and, in particular, dealing with the reprecussions of potentially having to do some pretty horrible things to win the war.

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Most (not all) of you guys are changing some really fundamental things about the Harry Potter series.

For changes that big I'd rather write my own story than go back in time to rewrite this one.

Me? Personally I liked the answer Pers gave, but in the spirit of the thread...

I'd add a few stipulations here and there, like Time Turners only being capable of doing a few hours at a time and perhaps having a side effect if you used them too much. I'd have the Trio grow a little closer in 6th/7th year, so that Ron didn't walk out on them again, Hermione lost a few of her edges, and Harry mellowed out a tad.

But at heart I think the story JKR wanted to tell was that of a regular kid getting caught up in events that were beyond him but going on anyway b/c of love, courage, etc. Sure I might tweak things like characterizations and rules, but If I was going to change someting that fundamental about Harry Potter I'd just write something else.

...after publishing Harry Potter as is, of course -- dat monies.

6. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, let's turn everything into A Song of Ice and Fire.

While I said I would try to make it feel more like a war, I definitely wouldn't try to make it grimderp or something.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  7. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

Quidditch.

8. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd keep it all the same except for adding a background character called simply "that weird Jewish kid" who nonetheless is surprisingly successful with the Ravenclaw ladies in his year.

9. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

I agree. It's fine to hate Snape - that's the appeal. That's what he's there for. And it's interesting to have to work with someone you hate, as a reader or as a protagonist.

Actually, I think I dislike Snape more than I do Voldemort. He should have been made into the main antagonist for a book, or something.

10. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Well he was really for PS and in HBP you do finally get Harry trying to do something against him, the frustrating thing is that we never see Harry actually win.

It's better that we never see him as the main antagonist because then there'd have to be a resolution and, personally, the reason I hate/enjoy him so much is because he's that dick teacher who's good at his job that you can never do anything about because the institution doesn't want him gone.

11. Lord Raine

Lord Raine Disappeared DLP Supporter

And they also seem to have completely forgotten that they're supposed to be noire detective stories somewhere around the current halfway point, and it's now devolved into pure action uban fantasy with a semi-predictable plot twist per book (I have, for instance, already called what I'm fairly certain will be the next plot twists/deaths, and time will tell if I'm right).*

I just feel the need to point that out, since I'm a tremendous noirefag, and take my rainy big city backdrops and cigarette smoke filled rooms seriously.

That being said, it's still a good read. I like Files more than I like Iron Druid, but Iron Druid is a bit more scatterbrained in how it works, and is more of a "fun filled entertainment" style story.

Fix dies, Elaine takes his place as the Summer Knight as part of a long-running contingency/coincidence on Titania's part, and we're either going to find out that some part of the Winter Lady's job description is screwing over Outsiders, or it will be revealed that the Blackstaff is Mother Winter's missing walking stick.

12. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

So, Dresden?

13. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I would have made wizardry itself a more active part of the story. What is magic? How and why can wizard's channel it?

I would have emphasized magic as an all-pervasive force tied into matter and existence itself, something wizards could perceive and manipulate with technical understanding (think Dumbledore at the entrance to the cave in HBP).

I would have paid more attention to subtler magicks, senses, prescience, and impressions, which Harry often had but which were written off as mere hunches or whatever. I would have used those as a chance to explore that aspect of magic and have Harry use it (building on his already-present deductive reasoning skills and investigative talent.

14. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

Well that last sentence was already confirmed by WOG.

15. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Well, after 14 books, some things get predictable, because you know, you read 14 books by the same author you kinda know how he writes and think.

Also, I like HP in UK, Merlin's old country is synonym with magic for me. That said, a canadian urban fantasy sounds awesome, by the photos and videos I saw, Canada must be one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013