1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other Fandoms Almost Recommendable: Barely Readable to Almost Good [Volume the First]

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Rhys, May 11, 2010.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I haven't really gotten into Lovelace 1/2, especially compared to Worm. So far it's just been boring.

This story has a girl going to school and developing super intelligence. Worm had Lung. One of these two is how you hook readers. The other is not.

2. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Considering the title, I thought it was going to involve the Lovelace kid from Black Lagoon somehow ending up in China and falling into one of the Jusenkyo springs from Ranma 1/2. Too bad it isn't.

3. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I dunno, could you imagine having to deal with a Black Lagoon fic with Garcia Lovelace of all people as the main character? But I will admit the "1/2" in the title instantly makes me think it was some sort of Ranma 1/2 crossover.

I honestly don't get your love for this fic. In Flight has lots of issues yeah, but if you ignore the last 3 chapters of In Flight and replace them with Steadfast, I think it's even worse.

I hate what In Flight did with Saber and Rin, but I think watching them play house with Shirou and the Sekirei is just as bad. As we've all discussed quite significantly, the very basis of a harem is terrible enough and adding two more doesn't really make it any better. Saber and Rin are basically taking over, and all the Sekirei are easy to please.

I felt Steadfast's attempt to explain away Shirou's "Path of Shura" as being brainwashing was a cop out too, and if you consider it a continuity of In Flight, a bad way to structure plot. You can't really accept some parts of GB's Shirou and then completely deny other parts. If they want a different Shirou, they should just rewrite the fic from the start. It just makes it very jarring.

Read this and got up to date in its sequel. It was interesting enough for me to smash through all 400,000 words but I wouldn't really say anything more than a time waster.

Broken Tool was a lot better than Kirigakure's Shore (the sequel). It felt a lot more directed and focused around Haku's development - concluding quite well.

4. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

As long as he brings the Murder Maids along for the ride, I could care less,

5. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

I'm not going to put it up for review mind, I know that much. What I enjoy about quite a few things you have said. The harem aspect in In Flight is stupid as the birds are just super generic harem characters, and having Rin/Saber take control of them amuses me. It makes sense with people with a soul will take over them.

Path of Shura is stupid. The first time I read it, I hated it. Steadfast has a reason for the stupidity of it besides, gaberial can't create an interesting character worth a damn. It is a cop-out, but a cop-out to fix bad writing.

Like, I know myself and quite a few others did love In Flight in the start, but it turned out the characters and WORDS WORDS WORDS showed that it was instead of the biggest disappointment in a while. My only hope at that point was Rin and Saber would appear and even gaberial couldn't screw up there character that badly. He did. Odds are that is exactly what the authors of Steadfast experienced and they wanted to finish the story in a way that is not filled with stupidity.

6. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Professor

7. Callagan

Callagan Fourth Year

Steadfast is a Fix-It fanfic of a fanfic. It kind of amazes me that In Flight has reached this point. The main problem is it also doesn't want to get rid of the 600k words that came before it. Maybe it works for other people, but I just can't buy into a story that's just Saber and Rin showing up and fixing all the problems of In Flight... after 600k words where all the problems are established in the first place. I'd rather read a rewrite from the start like Shattered Blade or Soul of Fire (even though I don't like it very much) than something that jumps off from the story. Maybe if they took a much earlier divergence point (say around chapter 5) I could accept it, but by chapter 38 there's no way to turn this boat around.

8. chaosfire999

chaosfire999 Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I don't remember if I've seen this here before, Bleach fanfic: Kill the Moonlight

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9237520/1/Kill-the-Moonlight

I'm honestly not too sure what to say. It's huge and very up to date with the current manga. Essentially, it's an alternate timeline where (we deduce) something happens to Ichigo in Karakura early on in the series and the story starts 30 years later, with him being a 3rd Seat Shinigami to Aizen in the 5th Division and having no knowledge of his past.

The sotry takes us through the gradual discovery of his past and the unfolding of the Bleach main plot- Except it's not Bleach's main plot. Elements are recognisable but there are enormous differences that become evident relatively soon.

May have started getting a bit odd in the very latest chapters with something non-canon relating to the Quincy.

I wouldn't recommend this for the library since I found myself skipping over some substantial few paragraphs every now and again - they were related to characters I honestly didn't care about. Rejoice, though, there is an incredible scarcity of OCs.

9. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

So, I'm fairly sure this hasn't been rec'd yet.

Fate/Reach Out
    is a Persona 4/FSN X-over. I read it awhile ago, but it didn't occur to me until now to recommend it. I'd actually put it up for review, if it was further along in the plot.

Anyway, Basis of the story is that Shirou finds out he's Yu Narukami and his only living family is Ryotaro Dojima, and Nanako. Taiga had decided Shirou was being mopey after Kiritsugu's death and decided to find if he had any family, using her grandfather's connections.

From there, Shirou and the Dojima's start conversing on the phone, and eventually Ryotaro invites Shirou to spend some time over in Inaba.

So yeah, TL;DR, Pre-Grail War Shirou takes the place of the Persona 4 protagonist. It's actually been fairly good, if not much deviation from canon so far. I think the biggest change is that Shirou took up the gas station assistant's offer of working there.

Still, seeing Shirou's thoughts about it all, and relating it magecraft and trying to keep it secret as possible makes it worth reading in my opinion. It's also hinted that the P4 is only one "Act," of the story, and the Grail War will be another.

10. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

The Price of Peace Author: Boranbolt Six years after the Fourth Ninja War the world still isn't peaceful. Naruto is tired of the constant fighting. Tired of Konoha's hypocrisy. Tired of being taken for an idiot. So what will Konoha do against an unknown enemy with strange powers and a familiar enemy that is still after revenge? Naruto X Hanabi, but will have slight hints of other Naruto pairings. Godly Naruto.
    Rated: Fiction M - English - Adventure/Romance - Naruto U. & Hanabi H. - Chapters: 16 - Words: 131,686 - Reviews: 294 - Favs: 282 - Follows: 317 - Updated: 08-15-13 - Published: 05-19-13 - id: 9309848

Well first of all this is a guilty pleasure. It does have a number of cliches and mistakes(like; middle of the chapter AN ) Also a god like Naruto but the good part is there is good amount conflict despite Narutos power infact Sasuke seems to be aiming to be strong enough to challenge Naruto and I can't wait for that fight. There are parallels between Naruto and Pein that I liked. Not the mention good portrayal of the Konoha.

Naruto is a bit ooc but it can be explained away since it is far after the 4th ninja war.

If you are looking for a Naruto story to kill time this may be the story for you if you are looking for a good story move along.

On one more thing it is Naruto/Hanabi which a plus for me since I like it. Hanabi is 18 in the story so there isn't much problem either all in all not bad story.

Not open for further replies.