1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Song of the Trees by Tinn Tam - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Raijin, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Raijin

Raijin Slug Club Member

Title: The Song of the Trees
    Author: Tinn Tam
    Rating: M
    Genre: General/Angst/(Mystery)
    Chapters: 22
    Words: 207,503
    Updated: March 30, 2013
    Published: March 24, 2006

Pairing: minor Hr/R, H/G has been shot down
    Summary: PostHogwarts. They say he roams at night in shadowy places, under his Invisibility Cloak, speaking to the dead. They say he's barely human. The Harry I know died two years ago.I can't recognize him in that man with empty eyes.
    Link:http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2859327/1/

Not the greatest story ever but it is pretty decent.

Checked by Minion, August 20, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2013
  2. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Very intriguing...well written. I like it. It reminds me of the older stories that I so loved...interleaved with some emotion, mystery, actual downfalls. Recommended!

3. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

It's always that damn cloak. I'm so sick of that stupid thing. Learn the fucking invisibility spell damnit.

4. Element

Element Seventh Year

The cloak gets ripped apart in later chapters. Not exactly a spoiler, so I didn't think of putting it under tags.

Now, this is a remarkably good story. Very well written, especially when you consider that the author is French and has never been to an English-speaking country. The whole mystery surrounding the Forest is exactly as it should be; mysterious and intriguing. Hermione and Ron's characterisation are good enough for me not to notice anything strange while reading. The OC's that are created in the story are small enough and distinctive enough for me not to care about them, perhaps with the exception of Amy. She seems a little two-dimensional at the moment.

Most definitely recommended.

Edit: Happy birthday World Wide Web :D

5. Stalicon

Stalicon High Inquisitor

I haven't enjoyed a story this much in a long time, god I feel old.

This as stated in posts above me is very well written and it is actually mysterious and all that. Not to mention the werewolf thing made sense for once.

Very Recomended

5/5

Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  6. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Very well written. I liked it. RECOMMENDED.

7. Kyp's Avenger

Kyp's Avenger Fourth Year

This is an awesome story. There's a few extremely small typos that only I would notice, so the writer and beta do a good job making the fic presentable. Writing style is fluid, the story's mysteries actually come off as mysterious. Definitely recommended.

8. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Only read two chapters but it's looking pretty good. I'll read the rest later, for some reason my vision has blurred.

9. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Get over yourself, not every story contains the same cliched crap about the invisibility spell. Invisibility Cloaks are probably rare and valued for a reason, seeing as if there was a simple charm to do it for you they'd quickly lose any value they had.

10. madeyemoody

madeyemoody High Inquisitor

Odd, my vision blurred while reading the 2nd chapter but so far this story is excellent.

11. TheIllusiveOne

What the fuck are you talking about? In virtually every super!Harry fic i've seen, he has all these cool tricks he can do with magic, then the author gives a ten minute monologue about how the cloak is his last link to his parents he never even knew, how it got him out of tons of trouble and how fucking great it is, then he preceeds to use it anytime he walks around Hogwarts. I'm not even gonna mention the fact that Harry is virtually driven to tears in this fucking fic because the werewolves destroyed the stupid cloak.

Jesus christ.

At any rate, I'm sorry for having an opinion, jeez..

12. KateL

KateL First Year

Really interesting story, I liked it alot. Better than most out there right now, I like that it's Post-war and Post-Hogwarts, no angst about the upcoming battle with Voldie. It's good to see that Draco will follow in his daddy's footsteps by buying his freedom. Highly recommend!

13. BlueMagikMarker

BlueMagikMarker Pirate King Yarrgh's First Mate

I'm sorry for you having an opinion as well. The cloak was a rare magical artefact and was, according to the fic, the last link to Harry's father. Of course he is going to react emotionally. I'd be pretty upset if I came home to find my car totaled. If this minor clishe gets you so worked up I'd hate to see what a major one would do.

14. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

Its not even a cliche, really. FFS, the cloak is literally one of the two or three things that remind him of his dead parents. Don't be an idiot...if your parents died, you'd feel like shit if you broke a glass that belonged to your parents.

15. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

This is extremely well written, but its just not something I'm generally interested in reading (post-Hogwarts + average!Harry + angst). Still, since the plot is fairly interesting, I'll probably keep following it for the time being.

16. TheIllusiveOne

Errr... His parents that he doesn't even remember? His parents that he didn't even know? Doesn't he have full albums with pictures of his parents? Why would he care about some stupid cloak?

"But TIO, it's a rare magical object!"

Great, like I give a fuck. If you really need to turn invisible, learn the stupid spell, don't rely on a piece of clothing. That fact that it's rare and valuable doesn't matter to Harry, you idiots. He has a vault full of money, and he wore his shitty hand me down muggle clothes every summer throughout the school year, clearly he doesn't give a shit about money, so the only logical conclusion is that he's being a pussy crying over a piece of clothing from a guy he didn't even know.

17. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Haven't you ever heard of a family heirloom? I have shit from family members I've never met and I would be pissed if I ruined it. Especially if it was rare.

18. BloodLust

BloodLust Banned

Errr... His parents that he doesn't even remember? His parents that he didn't even know?

exactly, the only memories that Harry has of his parents are their deaths when he comes near Dementors which I doubt he really enjoys.

The only things he has are the cloak and the marauders map that really belonged to his parents, the only thing that reminds him of them. Yes he has the photo album but keepsakes can be just as important.

I know that if my parents had died when I was a baby and I grew up ignored by my relatives and then I suddenly got given something that had actually belonged to one of my parents, something they used I would damn well sleep with it under my pillow everynight. And then if it got wrecked? I'd be devastated.

What exactly do you think would be a better characterisation? Harry saying, 'oh well my invisibility cloaks ruined, doesn't matter i'll just learn the invisibility spell'?

He may not care about the money, mainly because it's money that he has in place of parents who love him, but he definately cares about any physical reminder of his parents.

19. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

He remembers his parents. To be exact, he remembers someone murdering them. His parents that he didn't even know? Are you stupid? They're his parents...just because he doesn't have a great deal of memories about them doesn't mean he can't love them and cherish teir memory.

Why the fuck wouldn't he care about the cloak? As someone said before me, if there was an Invisibility spell that was oh-so-easy to cast, they wouldn't make cloaks. He would care about the fucking cloak because it belonged to his parents, who are dead. Now that might not mean much to you, but the stupid comments are unneccessary. Most people happen to cherish their parents...if yours died, leaving you with nothing but terrible memories, you'd cherish a fucking tie that belonged to your father.

Again...that was a fucking idiotic thing to say. Sure, he never bought new clothes. What would happen if he walked into the Dursley household wearing new clothes? They'd take the clothes away and give him more shitty hand-me-downs. What do you mean money means nothing to him? He's guilty enough about the fact that the Weasleys have less money than him.

This is canon we're talking about. In canon, Harry Potter happens to love his parents. He happens to cherish one of the few things that is left of their belongings.

In this fic, the cloak scene is minimal. The response is entirely warranted, and its short, not stretched out like a shitty pussy!Harry story.

You make it sound as if his father is just some douchebag loser who is remotely related to him. Obviously, this is not the case, and being that he was kept in a fucking cupboard for 10 years, it is highly likely that Harry would be emotional about losing it.

He loves his parents...he might not have a great number of memories of them, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't care for them. When he looks into the Mirror of Erised, he sees his family, because that's who he wants to be with the most. That should eb clue enough for you to understand that his parents mean a lot to him.

20. Nexus

Nexus Denarii Host

TIO if invisibilty spells were so easy to learn why the fuck would an invisibilty cloak be rare and valuable at all. Even Mad eye used it.

Harry has a vault full of money but it was never said how much. The fact that he is rolling in money that can support him for the rest of his life is a fanon cliche not something determined for sure.

And i dont know if you have something against parents but people tend to be attached to their parents stuff if the said parents are dead...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006