1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Lyrium, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Lyrium

Lyrium Sent Back to India

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Why not put this here? Though granted there's plenty of other single story threads in here, so this works fine.

To answer your question, yes.

Mistborn by Sanderson is good. It's not perfect by any means but it's worth a read. A few parts of it dragged but I liked how he managed the POVs.

I read the first book in his Alcatraz series. I did not like it. It's aimed at Middle Grade (I.e. Grades 4-8 or so).

Rithmatist is his YA series and it's on my to-read list. I've heard it's good but haven't gotten around to it yet.

The Stormlight Archive is apparently fantastic. I'm waiting to read it until he finishes it (probably) as my reading list is long enough as it is without adding more incomplete series to it.

He also finished off the Wheel of Time series after Jordan died and wrote a standalone novel called Elantris -- I have no intentions to read either at the moment.

My favorite thing of Sanderson's is by far The Emperor's Soul. It's a novella complete at 33k words and very well done. Worth a read for anyone who likes Fantasy and wants something reasonably short to sink their teeth into.

I was more or less neutral towards Warbreaker. The only POV I really enjoyed was Vasher's -- as you said, Nightblood is pretty awesome. The others were average for the Fantasy genre (in my opinion) and therefore nothing special.

This is my favorite Warbreaker-related thing: Sanderson's drafts of the novel, including a comparison of his first/rough draft to his final/published draft. As an aspiring author I found that interesting and useful.

3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Stormlight Archive is going to be 10 books long, so if you're waiting for him to finish, you're going to be waiting a long time.

4. Ched

^ I know. I'm in no rush. It's possible I'll pick it up before he finishes, just no plans to do so.

5. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Seems weird to wait 2 decades to start a series.

6. Ched

It would be if I actively wanted to read it -- I don't care much about it either way. It's just another thing on my to-read list, which is populated by 200+ books at this point.

If was excited for it and wanted to read it, I'd start reading it. I'm just not. That might change before the series is finished, in which case I'll pick it up. Otherwise why bump it to the top of the list?

7. Thyestean

Thyestean Slug Club Member

How so? There are plenty of completed series to read without the need to pick up an uncompleted one.

8. MonkeyEpoxy

I'm probably just biased since Sanderson is my favorite author and The Way of Kings is in my top 3 books of all time. God I can't wait until Words of Radiance.

Drunk, so can't provide in depth reviews, but here's my sanderson ratings, which is at least quasi relevant to the OP.

Elantris: 5/10. easily shows that it's his first novel. good storytelling and world building, but poor writing. i mean it's technically proficient, but you can tell that he's still working on the nuances of foreshadowing, and the prose gets too purple at times
    Warbreaker: 8/10. fun. above average writing, good storytelling and world building
    Mistborn saga: 9/10. mondo-fun. great world building, great storytelling, good writing. The alloy of law was aight.
    The Way of Kings: 10/10. great fun. STELLAR worldbuilding, fantastic storytelling.

I haven't read the Alcatraz series, nor The Rithmatist.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  9. Ched

(1) The OP is probably interested in hearing your thoughts in that case, lol.

(2) Question about Way of Kings -- is it like Mistborn in that in many ways it's one big story rather than a series of individual stories like Dresden with an overarching plot? That's what I'd heard, but curious.

10. MonkeyEpoxy

All evidence points to one big plot. There's only one book with lots of exposition so far since it's book 1, but the foreshadowing is rampant. I definitely don't see it being like dresden in that there's the hinting of an overarching plot, but it doesn't act that way in the way it presents the single mystery settings or whatever. Sure, The Way of Kings sets up a lot of subplots (as you'd expect from a 10 book series being plotted since 1998), but the overarching theme is easily recognizable, even this early, without question.

It doesn't hurt that all of his "main books" ie, not his young adult fiction, tie into the same universe/galaxy, The Cosmere. Like, Elantris and The Emperor's Soul take place on Sel, which is/was "governed" by the Shards (of Adonalsium, the apparent true being of creation whose power was "splintered.") Devotion/Dominion, Mistborn/The Alloy of Law takes place on Scadrial, which is/was governed by Preservation/Ruin/Harmony, Warbreaker which takes place on Nalthis "governed" by Endowment, and The Stormlight Archive on Roshar "goverened" by Honor/Cultivation. The magic systems inherent in The Stormlight Archive, all 24 of them, seem set to tie them all together. Word of God has already revealed that travel between the planets is possible without spaceships and what not through Shadesmar.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  11. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Warbreaker and Elantris are probably his least successful adult books. Elantris is a fun story, competently written, and in some respects its my favourite of his magic systems - pending more of The Stormlight Archive - but it is obviously a first novel. Warbreaker is better in terms of writing, but the magic system is far too complicated for my tastes, and honestly a little ridiculous. It's been a while since I read it, but the only character I remember being particularly interested in was Lightsong.

The Alcatraz series was underwhelming; the key problem was that he's trying to write a character in the mold of Flashman, or Ciaphas Cain, but the worst you can really say of Alcatraz is that he's a teenager, so the whole joke falls flat. Other than that, it's really silly - nothing wrong with that, but it feels like he decided that it had to be silly because it's YA fiction.

The Mistborn series (including the Alloy of Law, although that's a seperate story for the most part) is his best work so far (that I've read, at least). Fantastic story, good writing - I wouldn't say that Sanderson has a particularly notable style or quality of technique, but he writes consistently and solidly - interesting and engaging characters, and although I'd argue that Allomancy is more a system of superpowers than a magic system, it is undoubtedly awesome.

The Way of Kings is fantastic, but at this stage a little bloated. I don't mind reading doorstoppers, but there are entire sections about characters and situations that have no importance to anything other than world building; fair enough, but when the main book is approaching eight or nine hundred pages you might want the world building to be a little more relevant. Given that it's only one book though, all of those bits that come across as padding might turn out to be important later on.

12. Lyrium

Lyrium Sent Back to India

Actually, what struck me was that Vasher has a more interesting story then all the other characters particularly his back story which would have been a intriguing place to set another novel.

How did I miss that archive of his drafts. That's an awesome thing to put up so writers can see that revision is integral to writing.

Mistborn as several recommended is next on my list.