1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    I'm not saying that, it was just a metaphor. I'm saying that it goes for anyone, you use too much magic, there should be some form of consequence.

2. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I don't agree with "magical cores," but I see people in here saying that magic isn't physical in HP. It definitely could be.

It is something that "leaves traces" (Dumbledore), something parents pass down genetically, something that is said to be contained, perhaps physically, in a number of substances (blood, plants, hair, parts of animals, etc.). It can be sensed; felt (Dumbledore), tasted or smelt (werewolves), and so forth.

And it is apparently quantifiable. One thing in HP can be more or less "magical" than another. Bartemius Crouch was "powerfully magical" (paraphrasing), and Harry would not register compared to Dumbledore.

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I think canon left plenty of things unanswered, and for fanfic that's not always a bad thing. It leaves authors plenty of room to tweak the magic system to fit in with the story they are trying to tell.

So if you want magic to tire wizards out because of "magical exhaustion" then go for it -- just be sure it isn't stupid in context. Same of the reverse.

4. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

When I said magic isn't physical, I meant relative to the magic a wizard possess in that it has no anatomical equivalence. There is no magical organ that supplies a wizard with their magic, like a magical heart or liver or kidney. It is not physical in that sense.

Is it something tangible? Most definitely.

Although, I disagree with it being quantifiable, at least not with a precise scale or measurement. Like someone said either, wizards aren't walking around with some sort of number labeling how magical they are.

5. afrojack

Well there are genes for magic, so it is anatomical in at least some respects. I don't think they can "run out" of magic or anything like that, but magic seems to be an anatomical capacity of some sort. Something about their physical body allows them to perform magic. The spells they perform may not have any organic origin or component, but the ability to perform magic itself seems to originate from the wizard's physical body. It's not like they have extra body parts, but something about their bodies, about how their bodies work, makes them magical (most likely something to do with brain function, going by what Dumbledore says). He says that although Voldemort's body and soul have been twisted, his mind (and therefore his magic) are still intact, and so he remains incredibly dangerous despite the metaphysical "injuries" to his soul.

6. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

I've never understood the whole 'magical exhaustion' thing. I get the idea behind it, I do. It adds a level of urgency to a duel or whatever. 'I gotta finish this before I run out of magic.' But the thing is, this isn't Final Fantasy. There doesn't need to be a set amount of magic each person has before they're exhausted.

This has always been my take on it. Say you're in a fight. You're running around, dodging, whatever. On top of that, you're thinking as fast as you can, mind on high alert for every little detail. Thoughts are constantly running through your head as you try to identify each curse and what counter curse you need to use, or would it be better to dodge or shield, or where he's going to be in the next second so you know where to aim your next curse.

You're focused, completely and utterly, on one thing. Hell, I'm exhausted after doing calculus for a while. It doesn't have to be some contrived 'magical exhaustion' thing to give them limits. It can easily be, after a long day of studying or fighting or whatever, Harry struggles to cast a spell because he can't focus on it, because he's tired.

And that doesn't even include the physical aspect of a duel, which is typically where you see that whole exhaustion thing come in.

7. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Damn did I ever find that funny. And thanks for the info, but I guess what I was really wondering is if they are called the same thing in the UK that they are in the states.

So what would a 7' x 9' piece of material be called? Area rug? That's what they are around here.

8. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Exactly. The "magical exhaustion" should stem from growing too tired to concentrate properly and consequently spells become less focused, less accurate, and less effective.

No magical cores tripe, kthx.

9. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Just a rug. I've never heard of an 'area rug'. It's probably a US or Ikea thing. It sounds like their kind of marketing.

It goes: mat, rug, carpet - pretty much as Deplore described them. That's how it is in Australia, so there's a pretty good chance that it's the same in the UK and other Commonwealth nations.

10. InfernoCannon

InfernoCannon Seventh Year

Would have been Bagman, since he commentated (though maybe not in the film). And, of course, 'Quietus', which was used to reverse the spell's effect.

Of course, now I have to wonder if the spell's effect is "make any target sound create louder", or if it is "makes target's voice louder". There seems to be enough leeway for either description.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  11. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

What would happen if a Dementor kissed Voldemort? Because the way I see it, instead of a whole nation just sitting around waiting for a boy to come save them, they should have just sent thousands of Dementors after him and there problem solved.

Dumbledore can then take his time looking for the Hocruxes(is that the correct plural?) and destroy them and then if they really want to be rid of Tom Riddle, explain to Harry the situation and have him kill him.

What would be the reason this wasn't done?

12. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Probably because Voldemort was, you know, the one in control of the Dementors. Also, even if the Ministry did control them for the duration of the war, I doubt they would have posed a threat to him in any case.

13. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Not a threat? How do you figure that. Also I don't think Voldemort controlled the Dementors he probably made a deal with them to feed them with as much souls as they wanted . So the ministry could have just used whatever method they use to keep them in check, to send them after Voldemort and the death eaters.

14. afrojack

I always thought he would have had a kind of affinity with them, in addition to a better offer. A sort of influence by similarity of nature, or kinship.

15. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Or he was very good at the Patronus Charm. You know, that spell that lets you drive off Dementors.

16. Russano

Russano Disappeared

Yeah, rocking those "hey remember when I killed that kid and became immortal" memories to power that patronus.

17. Photon

Photon Order Member

<please ignore><is there any way to delete recent post that is the last one in thread?>

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  18. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

He's motherfuckin' Voldemort. That's how I figure that.

We don't know what method the Ministry uses to keep them in check, or even how sapient they truly are. It's possible that Voldemort simply got them away from Azkaban without the Ministry rounding them up again, and then let them do their own thing. I think it likely that the Ministry forcibly confined the Dementors to the island (through whatever method) and kept them somewhat docile by providing living beings for them to feed upon.

It's possible they really are 'employed' by the Ministry to guard Azkaban, given that we've been told they're also in charge of burying inmates that die on the island, an activity that demonstrates a certain level of intelligence, but even so, the Ministry has nothing that can match Voldemort's offer of open season on the British Isles.

Long story short, even if the Dementors had remained with the Ministry, they're not going to be able to do shit against a wizard of Voldemort's calibre unless he's already somewhat incapacitated.

19. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Or the time he killed his father and framed his uncle for it. Powerful memory, that one.

20. afrojack

Happiness is relative, so Voldemort shouldn't really have to struggle to cast a Patronus. Even going by the standards of having to use positive or nonviolent memories, he should still have some of his initial successes with magic, or even his happiness with the end results of his murder, if indeed he took no pleasure in the murders themselves.

Not open for further replies.