1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Erandil, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So... if I get this game we can have a DLP Pirate fleet, right?

2. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yarrrrrrgh.

3. FreakLord

FreakLord Professor DLP Supporter

If you announce yourself as a pirate, bounty hunters will target you. So, become a privateer.

Join my fleet linked above, we can be a DLP battlegroup which offer privateer services. :p

4. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

This sounds amazing. Never liked MMOs but this is the kind of game I could play a lot.

5. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't like the idea of hiding behind fancy words, I'd rather we just fly around and bring death to all who see us

6. meev

meev Groundskeeper

That's the entire point ya goddamn casual.

7. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

SC has reached the phenomenal number of 26 million dollar and still shows no sign of stopping or even slowing down.
    It seem that Sci-Fi fans really have quite a lot of money (probably because they tend to be older).

And while that alone deserves some respect I have to say I am a big fan of how they handle the public/PR part of this game. Their presentation of their work is great(Aurora Trailer) and happens fairly often and some articles offer real insight in the development process. You get a lot of information and have quite a few possibilities of real participation (like writing contests for background information or even The Next Starship.)

This is how you do Crowdfunding.. not only collecting the money and presenting a game 1-2 years later but informing and showcasing throughout the whole process.

8. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

Wow, I'm surprised that this thread has been on DLP for over a year and I missed it.

Given my love of Freelancer, I'm really excited for this game. I haven't read up too much on it because it keeps slipping my mind, but from what I've seen of it it seems like it'll be a kickass game. Hopefully, it'll also breath some life back into the Freelancer community, which has been dwindling as of late due to the game being over a decade old. I can't wait to see what Roberts can do with this game.

9. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The biggest thing for me, will be Occulus rift integration. Never played any of his earlier games, but I've always loved sci fi, and it also seems to be the perfect medium to try VR in.

10. FreakLord

Anniversary sale starts tomorrow. All Limited ships available with Life Time Insurance.

This is the last chance people have to get LTI. After Nov 26, there will be no advantages to newcomers.

11. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

It feels like a bloody hype machine. QUICK EVERYONE PAY HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS TO GET SOME SHIPS FOR THIS GAME THAT WILL BE SUPER AWESOME!

I know that Kickstarter and the like does have this same behavior, but I've never seen a game so self confident and obvious about the bloody give us money part.

12. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Its marketing is damn good. It's been hard to resist jumping aboard. I don't even like MMOs and I've sworn off pre-orders after being burned on others.

I'll wait until the game has been released for a while and see what the gaming community there is like before jumping in. But some of those trailers... goddam. I hope the game can live up to the awesome that is in my head.

13. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's my view as well. I haven't pre ordered, but I think I will buy this + the Occulus rift, just to experience how awesome it will be. (I hope)

I really hope they do this game justice though, if they can make compelling space based MMO, I think the dreams of my childhood will finally be answered.

14. FreakLord

I never do pre-orders. For this game though, I did. Because you can see the passion when Chris Roberts talks about this. It's just that simple.

The more money people spend on pre-ordering the more they have to make the game more awesome.

Big companies like EA spend $100 mil on a game out of which $75 mill goes to marketing. The developers have only $25 mil to develop the game. In this case, the whole money goes to developing.

Now imagine, a space sim game carefully designed and detailed, with complete immersion, in a budget of $50 mil.

Tell me you are not excited about it.

@yak, they never marketed. It's all about the community. They provide some deals and release a few videos, the community spreads them. Except the first press release I think all other press releases were started by the media themselves.

15. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Among the many Star Citizen articles I've seen on my gaming news feeds I'm sure that I've seen mention of various marketing/PR/community management types mentioned. Wasn't some kid who made a shiny video showing off a spaceship recently hired by RSI? That comes under the umbrella of marketing - both the good PR the "story" generates and presumably the job the kid was hired for at RSI. Unless I'm thinking of some other space sim.

Just because you aren't seeing a massive advertising blitz doesn't mean there's not good marketing being employed. Roberts knows his audience [Older gamers in their mid-20s-late-30s who loved his past space sims and now have disposable income to burn... and maybe have a chip on their shoulder about being ignored by the console gaming world] and markets straight to them. It works for him; he's got their loyalty. He's one of them. So am I, really.

This doesn't seem super up to date, but:
    http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Developer_team

...you can see people in Community Management, Media/Public Relations, even a Vice President of Marketing. Unless they're all volunteers, then there's money going to marketing. A game doesn't succeed without it nowadays.

16. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I can't express how hard it was to not drop a few hundred bucks on this game when it was in kickstarter. It was really, really fucking hard.

17. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

I threw down $40 for a copy of the game, because I've been jonesing for a good Wing Commander type game for a long, long time.

The hangar module lets you dick around in your pre-ordered ship (should you have one) and god damn it's detailed. If you haven't already, go take a look at your ship.

18. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

I thought the LTI cut off date was Nov 26 last year?

Source:

Nevermind, I've done further research and discovered the way the anniversary sale works.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  19. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Anyone else following the Next great Starship thing? (Obviously) I do and I am impressed at the level of competence the teams are showing, because if this is what "amateurs" developed I can´t wait to see what RSI is doing.

I am not too happy with some of the actual decisions (The whole bulky encased back idea seems a lot more reasonable to me than to the judges) but it still very entertaining to watch and I can´t wait too see them get started on the ship.

Link for those too lazy to use google:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13546-The-Next-Great-Starship-Episode-1

20. FreakLord

Good stuff all over. Eager to watch the next episodes.