1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mini Mafia #4 - A Mafia Mafia

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Eidolonic, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Are we not doing RVS anymore?

I'm upset.

I like RVS. RVS is fun. We get to pick on whores like Oprah Kalas.

Unvote

Rents: What do you believe counts as participation? How should a game of mafia be played?

2. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

Don't mod-game. By that I mean don't assume that Eido included a Doctor role or Detective just because those roles are common and give people claiming those roles a free pass. Similarly, Eido usually gives the scum team fake role names to claim, so a roleclaim that only gives out the role name but not the role ability is next to worthless.

If you have powers, don't use them too late because there's a good chance you'll die early on, unless using them later on has a much greater return. Do not let us lynch you without roleclaiming. The odds of scum having a souping ability or something similar are very low.

If you are vanilla, don't give it away. The only people who should have an idea of the power role to vanilla ratio are the main scum team, and we should let them scum slip about it.

That's just off the top of my head. If I come up with anything else, I'll post it.

3. Lungs

High Score:
    To add onto Font's thing about vanilla gaming - you're playing to get killed by scum. That's the way to play.

You should be so aggressively town that you could do serious damage to scum whether or not role!powers are a Thing. Getting hit by scum at night as a vanilla is infinitely better than getting another townie hit at night by scum, because that means that any role could have been lost.

4. Fishy Justice

Fishy Justice Fourth Year

Rescind Lynch Vote

Indeed.

The last game is difficult. Lurking and modkills were the biggest factors to a town loss. If even one of those individuals had not been modkilled the ending could have been radically different. But all of that is out of our control and has no bearing on this game. (Hopefully)

So what about what we can use? We could have still won that game if we had taken the time to think things through. We were all exasperated by the end and just wanted to be done with it. We hammered when we should have waited, in my opinion.

Then there is the Menace scenario. Jon was able to see through his bluff because his behavior made no sense. It may seem trivial, but as an example it might help somebody.

And then there are the obvious lessons. Read the damn thread before you make game changing decisions. Read the rules. Try analyzing the thread. It can be time consuming and difficult, but that's how the game is played. You don't need to be batman to make an observation.

There are likely other lessons, but this will do for now.

TL;DR: Be active, use the replacements if you can't play. Even if things seem hopeless don't stop thinking critically. Try to be helpful.

And on a personal note, because I have seen this ruin mafia games before: Town is a team. Always act in the best interest of the collective.

Anyway, a question for a question, then? How do you think the omission of deadline votes and the inclusion of soft votes will alter the game?

That question is for anyone with an opinion, really.

5. fontisian

Another thing: Don't just let yourself get lynched. I don't care if you are vanilla or the best role of all time, you do what you can to not get lynched, because as a townie from your point of view a lynch on anyone else is more likely to hit scum. If it came down to no lynch or a lynch on me, I'd go for the no-lynch every time. If the situation is a little more ambiguous, use your brain.

Lynchs can be made with fewer people, which is great if someone doesn't show up one day. We'll have to be a little more careful to avoid hammering a lynch early in the day though.

6. Lungs

High Score:
    It's probably better to have soft voting in retrospect because it means that scum hardlynch commandeering would be a little more transparent - since Deadline Votes are a lot more finger-pointy than sitting down on a vote.

I'm not sure about Eido's game design tech and stuff, but to me, this is a sign that town might be gimped in ways that aren't beneficial, because of this write-in insurance vs. desperate scum.

Pretty much like how DLPhunt3 went in the end, sort of.

7. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The lessons we can take from the last game include: only play games that have at least three replacements, don't PM people to get them to vote, and be active, dammit. I'm looking at you, Rents and Riley.

8. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Rescind Lynch Vote Things seem to have calmed down now. Err I have nothing really to add as everyone has seemed pretty townie so far.

9. Lungs

High Score:
    When in doubt, discuss ways by which we could, as a whole, utilize to achieve some sort of advantage over scum.

Fishy is 100% right when he says that Town, too, is a team, even if the members are ambiguous.

10. guljons

guljons Squib

Lots of random voting. Not really sure, if there is anything to really read into that. I guess it would actually make more sense for a scum player to participate in the voting, just to blend in.

But now that is over, so time for more serious things.
    Lets just be active. And with the reduced number of players, it should be so.

11. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:

I think there are levels of participation, with fun labels because numbers are boring! :D

[Pingas Monkey] The absolute minimum being just lurking and performing night actions (if any) and checking in.

[Lurker] The next is coming in with needed lynch votes and directly acting in town's interest with a supportive vote/action.

[Derp] Where acceptable participation comes in is occasionally throwing in thoughts with votes, it's acceptable but on the other hand it's not ... good, or making the game particularly fun. This is where I usually land because I often find that other people have said what I was thinking.

[FillerBot]The fourth level would be posting mostly empty things, but often, fueling discussion, responding actively to general statements or questions.

[Scholar] The fifth is readwalling, or using a comprehensive and intuitive feel for game mechanics to make educated guesses that further both the discussion and progress towards endgame

[Prophet] Sixth we have the most involved kind, players who actively try to engage lurkers and actives alike in discussion that will either show scum tells or cause direct confrontations, they forward the game in a very influential manner, forcing players into actual thought on things they may not have considered instead of allowing things to be more languid.

[Leader] These players are just as involved as the previous type, but they're more detached and tend to steer the actions of Town instead of individually forcing others into action.

Scum can fit all of these ranks too I suppose, it's just that they mix in quite a bit of misinformation with facts, and misdirection into their statements/questions.

12. Lungs

High Score:
    Petitioning mods to change Ollie's usertitle to Pingas Monkey plz.

---------- Post automerged at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

Also, smh what the hell was the point of that post T__T

13. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Until day one passes I don't were going to get an accurate read on anything tbh.

14. fontisian

Rents: Rank everyone in this game according to your levels. (You don't actually have to do this. I'm just curious. If you do it though, the effort would convince me that you actually intend to be active for this game) What you should really do is re-read Lung's question and actually answer it.

Unvote
    Vote guljons

Guljons: You summarized the random voting, gave yourself a ton of room to backtrack and then repeated a previous message. It looks like you're just trying to appear to add content.

---------- Post automerged at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

Wetnurse: Penny for your thoughts?

15. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I believe reading with a critical mind counts as participation, as well as sharing thoughts and acting on them.

I honestly am unsure on how a game should be played, my immediate answer though is carefully and without being too forward or noticeable, I always worry about being an NK target and end up getting lynched instead D8 (probably something to learn there).

Font: as far as ranking people it'd be more accurate after Night One and 24 hours of Day Two at least, and it's sorta fluid, people move around that a lot.

Guljons: What do you think is the likelihood of a third faction, and what would you think their Wincon is?

16. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Or a quarter for a post xP

17. Lungs

High Score:
    For me, guljons is too close to call - looks to me like a skimjob. Whatever it'll be apparent in a bit when he defends himself or something.

People to watch:

Luckylee - not really contributing much, with an itchy post finger. Not a psych major, but that seems like a nervous response.

Townreads:

Fishy and Fontisian - both are playing like DLPhunt3, but again, too close to call for now.

Null:

Everyone else - post you fuckers.

18. Koalas

High Score:
    Well fuck you too Lungs. I'm people.

19. Lungs

High Score:
    Faction3: Is not game ending according to non!bastardmod, and usually swings town/scum at critical junctures if they don't have a not-Town/not-Scum win con. So discussing it at the moment might not be the best decision - in a closed setups, scumhunting is probably infinitely preferable to rolefishing for hypothetical roles.

Recommended reading: Battle School.

---------- Post automerged at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

Kalas I hate your avatar 100x worse than I hated TMNTurtwig's spider. I really do.

Fuck you.

20. Koalas

High Score:
    Love you too Lungs.