1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter Spinoff Movie - Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celestin, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Finally something!

2. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

3. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Well one thing's for sure, you can't accuse Evanna of not being excited.

4. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

EDIT: To quickben

For one, Post-WW1 USA was where it was at. Can't go wrong with the Lost Generation.

but two, it only says it starts off ithere. I'm fully expecting this to being a Globe-trotting kind of story, unless all magical creatures can be found in New York City.

5. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

I'm imagining Newt/Rolf as similar to Wikus from Districit 9 in a documentary style attempt at infiltrating a Centaur colony or a school of mermen.

Or alternatively, get fucking Dave Attenborough and just do amazing HD wide shots of wizard nature.

I'd watch either to be honest.

6. Blood Sorcerer

Blood Sorcerer First Year

wizarding society in canon is about a hundred years behind in fashion and notably eccentric in customs and behavior, so it's safe to say American Wizards are gonna be noticebly different from British Wizards. I am guessing they will resemble either late colonial americans or americans during the roarin 20's, in other words archaic or surprisingly modern.

7. gorgonfish

gorgonfish Second Year

I wonder how much of the Roaring 20s NY will play into the story? I wouldn't mind if mobsters and Prohibition were included somehow.

8. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

The gap is even worse when people take ron's quote of "dumbledore is like 150 years old" seriously, because that would be nearly a 100 year gap.

9. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Really excited, the wildlife documentary aspect is something I really like, I'm a huge fan of Animal Planet, Steve I. Was a childhood hero. And I can't help but picture Newt like Martin Freeman in The Hobbit.

And I really liked Evanna's Luna. As much as Rupert's Ron, and a little more than Emma's Hermione. Sorry, but I never really like Hermione.

10. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for a Indiana Jones style globe trotting adventure movie.

11. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

I don't want to ruin the happy mood, but be careful with your expectations.

Just think about the quality of DH for a moment...

12. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I think part of the issue the movies had was that they, like most movies, don't translate as well from the page to the screen as fans would like. In a few rare cases it ends up better (I prefer GoT series to ASoIaF books, for example), but mostly we see inconsistencies, changes, glaring omissions, etc. that we don't like.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is more of a textbook though. There's no real story to adapt here, and JKR is writing the screenplay directly (or I think I read that somewhere). So I'd say the potential is pretty good. It's being made/written for the screen with material she originally wrote in book form, but that's different from adapting a novel to a movie.

13. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

As bad as a lot of people feel it was, cinematically speaking it wasn't that bad. Not at all.

The fact that she'll be writing it based on stuff we haven't really seen is helpful in this particular endeavor as it means that we won't have too many expectations based upon the book but instead based upon the director and actors which is totally different.

ninja'ed by Ched dammit

14. Russano

Russano Disappeared

Written by JKR? I expect to see lots of camping in the wilderness.

15. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

A movie about a respected magical naturalist? I expect to see lots of camping in the wilderness.

16. Russano

Russano Disappeared

That was indeed the joke.

17. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Can't say I won't expecting WB to try and milk HP for more cash and this must be the best way to go about it. The obvious alternatives are a compressed trilogy or a clone wars like prequel. Definitely prefer this way.

They need to stick with the "being an expansion of the universe" thing though. Because while not the entirety of the "kid" cast was horrible, most of them were.

18. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Hm? I thought Deathly Hallows Pt. 2 was fun as as shit. Thought it was the best of the films.

19. gorgonfish

gorgonfish Second Year

It takes place in the 1920s, so the only character that could viably make a cameo in the movies would be Dumbledore. He'd be young enough that they'd go for a different actor than Gambon. Unless they decide to do a frame story like Princess Bride with Luna reading Newt's field notes or journal to her sons.

20. Lyrium

Lyrium Sent Back to India

The wizarding world in the 1920s, makes me think of all those Great Gatsby trailers. Newt Scamander starting in New York and going off to the rest of the world (maybe even crossing paths with Albus, Gellert, etc.) would be amazing.

I hope they make it a more adult\mature movie and not just for kids.

This looked pretty interesting but the project hasn't really moved forward as far as I can tell:
    Auror's Tale
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnAYqP4ruKU&feature=c4-overview&list=UUYILHdz7UJKo7TFRLsJ06mw