1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I didn't say any of the other girls you mentioned would be any better, that's not what I'm trying to say.

Sure, I can accept that Fleur is amazingly beautiful and that she is a competent witch (champion and all). She's also rich. She also has some additional talents besides being magica (the whole veela thing). She's also older than Harry.

Sounds kind of too good to be honest. It's like there are no flaws, besides her initial arrogance.

I guess it's just not for me, I always preferred stories that have no pairings at all, so that is perhaps the reason.

2. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Thought Hermione hated her because Ron drools in her presence?

Harry does stand up for her at least once, does he not? But when Ginny and Hermione respond negatively, he realizes it won't help.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  3. Thyestean

Thyestean Slug Club Member

I think you are selling our boy Harry short. He is the mother fucking boy-who-lived. Defeated Voldemort twice, Tri-wizarding Champion, etc. If anything she needs to step up her game.

4. Andrela

Oh, but Harry has plenty of flaws, doesn't he? He's certainly a very human character.

5. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    "Rich" seems more fanon than canon to me. Her family is not poor, at least not like the Weasleys, but not rich either. In GoF, it seems as though winning the thousand galleons was at least part of her reason for competing (she mentions it when arguing why Harry shouldn't be complaining that he's competing, the fact that she even mentions it, I think, means that it is in her mind. Someone that is as rich as the Malfoy's wouldn't really care about a mere 1000 galleons. Not the strongest argument, but there nevertheless).

She looks "haughty and unruffled" at Hogwarts, and acts with supreme arrogance. Both of those are usually associated with wealth, but there's no reason to make that assumption.

Also, her mother is rather good with household cleaning spells, like cleaning the oven. Why would she know that, and be able to do it if she had no need at home? Rich is rich in any culture, and I've yet to know a rich person cleaning their own oven when they could have someone else do it (self-cleaning ovens aside).

Fleur is also not adverse to working in the kitchen, or manual labor both at Gringotts, but also in her own home. She even seems to know how to take care of the trio and the other prisoners when they show up in DH, and does it without complaint.

So, either she's rich, but has no problem slumming it in the Burrow and Shell cottage and is not adverse to hard work (her arrogance would speak otherwise), or her family's not that rich. I think it is the latter.

Flaws - - -

She definitely has flaws in canon. She's rude, somewhat shallow at times, and obviously not competent fighting off Grindylows, amongst other things. In fact, you could surmise that she's pretty good with charms and not too much else. She dislikes the goblins...or at least Griphook when he refused to eat with them in Shell Cottage. Beyond all that, she was turning into Mrs. Weasley in the trio's stay there as well, right down to her questioning Harry and telling him they had to stay for their safety, and that, "she looked rather like Mrs. Weasley as she said it."

_____

It seems your problem isn't with Fleur Delacour the character in the HP serious, it's with the Fleur Delacour of fanon that's been written as every teenage boy's wet dream.

6. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Molly comes off as a prude and at least mildly bigoted. So, with Fleur being part veela and French, she hits Molly's prude button at least once and her bigot button twice.

Despite already being with Dean, and even though Harry wasn't affected by Fleur (any more than he would be by a gorgeous human, at least), Ginny was clearly concerned about the possibility of even some one-sided Harry/Fleur. Note her accusation that Harry probably likes it when Fleur calls him, "'Arry."

Hermione, for some godforsaken reason, had a ladyboner for Ron, and Ron turned into a mindless hormone whenever he got within a hundred yards of Fleur. That was sufficient motivation for her to blame Fleur for her would-be boyfriend's pathetically weak mind.

At the end of the day, though women seem to have an easier time showing affection for each other than men do, they also tend to treat each other like total shit when the mood strikes them... and it can do that at a moment's notice, and with much caprice and vindictiveness. Frankly, they are brutal to each other.

It may be a fan fic cliché, but I have little doubt that part of Fleur's haughty, guarded, behavior was at least partially due to being on the receiving end of other girls' bitchy, envious, bullying. The rest could possibly be down to her being a French person as written by a British person.

Another example of just how smart Harry was. He has to be around Hermione all the time, and Ginny quite often (they share a common room and she ended up on the quidditch team), while he never really had to be around Fleur.

In short, he knows damned well not to piss the two of them off while they're in catty bitch mode, lest he pay for it again and again, throughout the school year.

Although, if he'd 'agreed' with them by saying, "Yeah, it's no wonder no one can stand her; she's a nightmare, honestly." it might have done a rather efficient job of smacking the bitch right out of Hermione, by sneaking in the back door to her conscience.

There may be a bit of that going on as well. Ginny really needs to think about how many guys she's entitled to feel jealous about at once, particularly with one being her brother.

Molly's had quite enough of those, I should think. lol.

Heh, I do know someone who is one of fourteen siblings, though, so I suppose either Molly isn't as prodigiously reproductive as she's made out to be... or JKR couldn't come up with names/personalities for double the amount of Weasley children; and, thank fucking Christ for that, or they'd have absorbed even more otherwise decent characters into their brood. They're like the Borg of the Wizarding World.

"We are the Weasley. Your biological and magical distinctiveness will be added to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance to our Gingerness is futile."

Sound reasoning, though it is "averse," not "adverse," Mr. President.

Yup, they're the Ginger Borg.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  7. Zampanó

Zampanó Third Year

I just got linked to a wiki-stub about a fanfic called "The Sacrifices Arc" which seems to be older than most of the things I've read. Does anyone know enough to say if it would be worth my time to investigate it? The person referring it gave it high praise, but it is several million words long...

http://fanlore.org/wiki/The_Sacrifices_Arc

8. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

It is slash, Harry is a total emo pussy, constantly trying to heal/overcome various angst problems and traumas, only to rinse/repeat the same in the next book. Again. And again. But it got some excellent magical scenes and great world building. So..

9. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    So you're averse to using adverse or worse, obverse in non-terse-verse works unless averse works by definition?

(And thank you for the promotion :p)

10. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

It's worth investigating if you are willing and able to ignore the slash (assuming that you don't want to read slash, if you do then you're in luck!).

The whole "Vates" concept from that series was quite good I thought. The slash, Lily, James, Dumbledore, and most everything else wasn't that great. But I skimmed through most of it because there were one or two plot threads that I found interesting.

So try it, but expect not to like large chunks of it going in. Whether the good bits make up for the bad ones or not will depend on you.

Here's the DLP thread for it.

11. Alexx

Alexx Card Captored and buttsecksed

Why does Dumbledore lets Maloy get away with nearly murdering Ron, Katie? I know he wanted to save Malfoy and all but hell two of his students almost died.

Why didn't the DA just kill Carrows and Snape? Yeah they are Death Eaters but they out number them 10 to 1.

Harry not even caring about Hermione confunding Mclaggen. Yeah he is a douche but Harry has strong morals.

Many say Hermione deserves better than Ron. What exactly is wrong with Ron?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  12. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

It's Dumbledore's saving people thing... and you can't save people who are already more or less good and decent people.

So fuck them.

Snape? Because plot. Because if they'd killed Snape, who would deliver his creepy message of undying, obsessive pseudo-love for Lily, thereby giving the mouth breathing one-hand-typers the keys to the fan fic city?

The Carrows? Because they'd be punished by the death eaters for killing them, and the replacements might be even worse.

Better the devil you know...

And, wizards are pussies.

Hermione gets a pass for pretty much every shitty or morally questionable thing she does in the books. Why pick one instance?

I love Hermione, in theory, but between the last two books and the way the movies turned her into Super Hermione by handing her every other cool thing that either Harry or Ron did in the books... guh.

Well, you see,

---------- Error: Post truncated due to exceeded wordcount ----------

13. gorgonfish

gorgonfish Second Year

Can Squibs pass through the barrier at Kings Cross or use Floo Powder?

14. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

As much as I love Ron, this literally made me laugh out loud.

15. Immet

Immet Seventh Year

Admittedly, every single person in the world hates the goblins, including Hagrid who loves giant spiders and dragons. And Griphook is a shit.

Maybe Fleur dislikes the goblins because she's had to work with them and knows just how much of a backstabbing fucktard Griphook is?

16. Andrela

Squibs = Muggles.

So, no.

17. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

That's not true. >< Filch lived in the castle that no muggle could see.

18. thebrute7

thebrute7 High Inquisitor

Yeah, no. Squibs are different than Muggles. That's why they're called Squibs and not Muggles. Honestly.

19. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    Except that, the statement was

It's written in canon as a flaw in her character, the same flaw that comes out in a slightly different way at the Burrow.

And where exactly do you get that Hagrid hates goblins? He says "Yeh'd be mad ter try and rob it, I'll tell yeh that. Never mess with goblins." And that's the worst thing he ever says about goblins. That's not hate.

20. Thyestean

Thyestean Slug Club Member

I doubt Hagrid has the ability to truly hate anything. It is the fact that Hagrid believes goblins are dangerous that really sells it. Hagrid would bear hug a dragon and smile as it tries to eat him. All while saying it's a docile creature that is sorely misunderstood. If there is any wisdom to be learned from Hagrid, it would to be terrified of anything he is wary/scared of.

Not open for further replies.