1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

GTA V

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Seratin, Nov 2, 2011.

1. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

I actually just picked it up. I can always find entertainment in the abuse of prostitutes.

2. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

3. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The plot lacks the direction of previous titles, but doesn't suffer overly for it. The protagonists are all pretty cool, but there will be times you get a bit shitty with each of them for their behaviour. Missions are fun, gameplay is great, and they've done well with restoring the humour after GTA IV.

Buuuy iiiiit.

4. Deplore

Deplore Seventh Year

Tell me, is there any of those "Cousin Niko, it is your cousin! Wanna go bowling?" bullshit every five minutes in GTA V?

5. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

But that's right in the title of the game; we already knew that. :colbert:

But, is it any good?

6. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

From what I hear 15 fps during high action sequences outside out missions. Personally I'm just trying to ignore GTA V until the PC version comes out (whenever that is).

7. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

So far it has actually been pretty opposite. I suppose I need to explore more of the city.

8. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Or get a PS3, that sounds like and XB360 issue do to an incorrect set of installs

9. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

I haven't played it, but I watched a friend play it for a few hours.

It's what'd you'd expect. Check-point based mission gameplay smattered admist a large busy city. Expect lots of driving around to missions, a sloppy melee combat system, marginally improved gunplay compared to IV, and a lot of minigames.

It's enjoyable enough but don't expect anything new or to be blown away.

10. Another Empty Frame

High Score:
    I love this game so much :D I love the ingame commentary on the American pop culture, it's pretty hilarious.

I'm just a few missions past the first real heist and it's great.

11. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Nope, none of that. Unless you download the app for your (real life) iPhone, which apparently gives you updates about whenever your dog takes a dump or is thirsty. Seriously. That isn't necessary though fortunately.

I've finished the game, spent plenty of hours free roaming and causing chaos. I haven't had any performance issues at all yet. From what I can tell it's an amazingly optimised game considering the hardware it's running on. That said, if and when it does come out for PC I'll switch over in a second.

In general I loved the game though. The characters were awesome, and having three of them works surprisingly well. I didn't enjoy GTA IV as much because it was a bit too serious and realistic, and GTA V was definitely much better in that regard. There's a lot more of the crazy fun like in San Andreas, but it definitely doesn't go overboard like Saints Row. They've found a nice middle ground, which is what I'd hoped for.

I didn't feel like there was any big improvements in the controls, but the new special abilities help balance the clumsiness out a bit by giving you something like bullet time with a few variations depending on your character.

To be fair, I feel like the supporting cast of characters wasn't as strong as in previous GTA games but that is balanced out by the fact that you have three main characters with some pretty funny interactions between them. There was a complete absence of compelling female characters, but let's be honest that was never really a strong point of the GTA series.

5/5.

12. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

Compared to the earlier versions well.. I always liked 3 and San Andreas the most and with my save at 45% that hasn't changed.

GTA never felt like a game geared towards comedy for me it was mostly player actions that made it funny, like fucking a hooker on the train tracks and then immediately driving off them when she gets out so the train you were holding up runs her over and causes her to go flying into the distance while her money stays right there for convenient pick up after the train has passed.
    Which happened not even an hour ago to me, I didn't even realize I was on train tracks.

As for believable female characters... theres less than 10 of them with any lines at all so far and about half of those are believable yeah. Likable is debatable though.

The quests are always a shining point for GTA in my book, well except for flying missions but flying is bullshit in every sand box game I've played yet. The main characters are pretty well done but everything I want to say involves spoilers so...

As for shortcomings, maybe its been too long since I last played GTA but its driving feels twitchy as hell. OH and before I forget. they made it a fucking cover shooter, with auto aim and allowing enemies to instant kill headshot you. And (this could be good or bad depending) they made it so you can just skip missions if you fail too many times, even main story missions you just hit a button after you die and bam 50% bronze medal pass rating, ah can't forget ratings for such things as number of headshots, not damaging a car or just finding one specific stupid thing to do during a mission like jumping in a pool. (you can at least replay the missions if you like to 100% everything)

There's more and sorry I can't do a multi paragraph review with unbiased opinions, but that's all I have for now.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  13. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

So now that GTA Online is out, I was thinking about putting a DLP crew together if there were enough people interested.

Thoughts?

14. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My friend bought it and I've been watching him play. Looks like a definite improvement over GTA IV, in terms of gameplay at least (not to say that GTA IV was bad, but it's still improved). I didn't experience enough of the characters and story to form a proper opinion on that yet though. I'll wait for a PC release before I get it myself.

Looking back in the thread, I was pretty harsh on San Andreas for some reason. I think I overstated the gangsta aspect of it. I still don't like that so much, but going by my current mindset, CJ was still a better protagonist than Claude or Tommy. Not as good as Niko in my opinion, but at least he wasn't a complete psycho like those two. GTA markedly improved I think when they started making protagonists you could sympathize with.

15. Another Empty Frame

High Score:
    Absofuckinglutely, my PSN is Spiarmf, or are you on seXbox?

16. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

Nuuuuh Ollie you are gay.

Sexbox: Crunch v3

17. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

PS3 For the win! Mine is NTDprime.
    Well the one for GTA V at least.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  18. Dr. Strange Lulz

On the Xbox. Sorry PS3 folks.

Trying to come up with appropriate rank names.

19. Another Empty Frame

High Score:
    Just use the forum ranks imo and you can call the crew [DLP]somethingorother

20. Dr. Strange Lulz

Had to go with DLPC for DLP Crew. Tags have to be 4 alphanumeric characters.

And ya, I just went muggle, first - seventh year, unspeakable, dark Lord. We can always change them later if people want.

Set it to open, since you can only invite friends, and you have to email friend requests...