1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Photon

Photon Order Member

Note that Hermione's parents are not affected by magic hiding Diagon Alley, once inside.

2. Marcus Livius Drusus

Marcus Livius Drusus Banned DLP Supporter

Removed, wrong thread.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  3. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Wrong thread, wrong subforum.

---------- Post automerged at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

It's why I tend to take what is in the books as canon, and nothing else. Blame it on the little bit of Barthes that has affected my reading.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  4. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Penelope (is that her name?) Flamel could probably hold her own, if you apply enough bending of the rules. We don't know what kind of physical state the Flamels are in.

5. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

6. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    Augusta Longbottom.

They're hated here, but both Mrs. Weasley and Ginny (an older one, however for your parameters) are written as very strong witches (though it might be hard to work them in to whatever story you're writing). Ginny is also the seventh child if you wanted to play that up.

Narcissa Malfoy (Black line - it'd be an assumption that she's strong, but a viable one).

7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Augusta is a great suggestion.

I don't consider Mrs. Weasley or Ginny to be anything special though, regardless of Molly beating Bellatrix, but thank you for reminding me of the seventh child bit!

That can actually be worked in nicely. I wanted a way to get rid of Ginny. Maybe it makes her a good sacrifice or something so someone kills/maims her. Yay!

8. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:

EDIT: Thanks.
    ___

Like I said, I know they're hated here. :D

Again, I don't know your story, but I wonder if an "almost; not quite" idea would work with Ginny here. If you look at the rest of the family, it would seem that they are a pretty powerful set of wizards/witches with a Curse Breaker and the Spells the twins use, not to mention all the DA stuff and the like. All of that on top of the Bellatrix battle.

I could see that putting Ginny "almost" in the category that you were thinking about, and as a result, making her the strongest of the rest and therefore the best one to sacrifice, etc.

Just a thought, don't know if it helps, but figured it never hurts to type it out.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  9. Nocturnesthesia

Nocturnesthesia Fourth Year

Selene Lovegood, maybe? Is there even any canon proof she was an oddball like Xenophilius, or was she just an avid researcher/boundary-pusher? If nothing else, above-average strength coupled with unorthodox magical research could make her fun to write. She's one of the few characters who you could see dabbling in arcane Oriental ritual magic or Afro-Caribbean voodoo without getting off-the-rails ridiculous.

How good is Andromeda Tonks? Not close to Bellatrix's level but I don't recall Narcissa doing anything magically impressive either. I'm also not sure if being a Healer is a respected profession requiring a high degree of competency in all the core fields (potions, charms, transfiguration, herbology, probably muggle studies and magical creatures also) analogous to being a good doctor. We do see Madam Pomfrey fix some seriously bizarre/unique magical accidents, presumably that requires a degree of magical proficiency? I kind of think Andromeda might be a particularly good healer because she not only can do all this, but her familiarity with dark magic and raw power make her able to identify and treat dark wounds and curse damage better than most (sort of like how Snape was Dumbledore's first choice in helping him combat the ring's curse) ...What do you guys think?

10. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Hey, isn't that name fanon?

11. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yes.

We only have Luna's word that her mother was powerful.

12. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

So clearly she was goddess. Or fae. Or elf. Or 'insert random mythical being here'.

13. Platypus

Platypus Groundskeeper

Why exactly did Dobby stop Harry's mail?

The diary was still with the Malfoys. Unless Dobby was reacting to Quirrel-mort, there seems to be no possible explanation given for Dobby stalking Harry at the beginning of the summer. Unless I'm missing something?

14. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

He over heard Malfoy Sr talking about his plans.

15. Alexx

Alexx Card Captored and buttsecksed

How would you have felt if Harry had actually died and stayed dead in the end?

16. Ched

Because he overheard Lucius discussing his plans regarding the diary and Hogwarts. Dobby understood that it would be dangerous at Hogwarts that year and wanted to protect Harry, who was somewhat his hero. Or such was my understanding. Dobby is weird.

I was pulling for this starting around book 5, and very much hoping for it during Books 6 & 7.

17. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Let down really, I was hoping one of the other two, Hermione or Ron would die, give a real sense of loss. While I was surprised she killed so many, the biggest person to die in book 7 was Snape (or Voldemort but he can hardly count).

18. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

I still think that her killing off Ron in the fourth book like she was considering would have been the most interesting character death she could have done. Not out of any misplaced hatred for Ron, but because it would probably have given Harry a lot more drive and maturity.

That's somewhat off topic though in relation to the question. I think Harry dying would definitely be a better ending than the 19 years later debacle was, but I don't think his death would necessarily have made the ending good by itself. I kind of like the idea of Voldemort getting another rebounded killing curse courtesy of Harry's protective magic though - it sort of rounds things out, and would be somewhat ironic.

19. Nocturnesthesia

Nocturnesthesia Fourth Year

Well goddamn. I'd never heard her referred to as anything else and assumed JKR stated it in Pottermore or an interview or something. It does fit, though :sherlock:

Yes, but she was creative enough to be experimenting with magic dangerous enough to kill her. Even if her magical power wasn't anything overly spectacular, I'd argue that creativity is enough to set someone apart in the wizarding world. (Wasn't that one of Taure's points in the power level discussion?) Either way we know pretty much nothing else about her but I think it'd be more fun to read her as a mad scientist/Marie Curie type than a female Xenophilius.

Speaking of which, does it bother anyone else that so many married couples are described as looking like brother and sister? Unless it's a wizard thing to dramatically alter your appearance to look like your husband. But Narcissa is pale and blonde in contrast to her brunette sisters to match Lucius, Molly is a ginger despite it being described as a distinctive Weasley trait, Xeno and his wife both have blue eyes and silvery blond hair. I'm not sure but I think the Longbottoms were both described as round-faced brunets and the Snapes were both thin and sallow with stringy black hair (and maybe big noses, can't remember).

Somewhat justified due to rampant inbreeding, but it is kind of funny to picture wizards all running around with opposite gendered versions of themselves (or their mothers, in certain cases).

--

As for Harry staying dead, I always assumed that was to be the ending. Reuniting with his parents and all that. And taking sequels off the table. :awesome

20. Ched

Er, wait, what?

Creativity is a great thing, sure, but generally for it to count in terms of power/intellect you need to create something.

Preferably something that doesn't kill you. You'd think that if Luna's mom died creating something useful Luna would mention that.

This is like saying that a kid being creative with a bunch of bottles labelled with a skull and crossbones is a genius for drinking it afterwards. For all we know Mrs. Lovegood was doing something stupid for her experimentation.

Or maybe she was absolutely brilliant and onto something.

We don't know. But I don't think "she died experimenting with something dangerous" means that she was smart and/or powerful. It might, but that's not enough by itself.

Not open for further replies.