1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (New Joss Whedon TV Show)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Rubicon, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I have a feeling it'll end up disappointing the people who expect way to much.

2. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

That's a bit cynical. Nothing I've seen so far has led me to believe it will be disappointing, and to be honest I haven't seen that much hype or unrealistic expectations about the show.

Marvel has shown that they're pretty careful and responsible with their movie universe, and the Marvel franchise is now insanely valuable. I imagine they'd be pretty confident about the shows quality, plus Joss Whedon is involved.

3. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

4. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

True. However we also know far too much about network executives and their ability to screw up a good thing. The first season will most likely rock, and end in a massive cliffhanger. Then the execs get involved and figure out a way to increase ratings (ie. add some inane plot twist that makes no sense, or add a carnival for no particular reason.) which will eventually make the series suck balls.

For evidence in this genre I give you NBC's Heroes.

I still cross my fingers and hope the bigwigs stay the fuck out of it and let creative genius be creative.

They'll learn sooner or later that there are more things to watch than police procedural drama's cloned off of each other, and talentless nobodies trying to sing and dance. I've virtually stopped watching TV except for a couple of show. Hopefully, this one will be one of those shows.

Nae
  5. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Please please let this be good.

6. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

It's a cable network series that needs to have a standard sized budget.

I'm not saying it's going to suck, I'm saying that if you are expecting the next best thing then you might be a little let down. The people that come in there expecting Avengers: The TV Series, are going to be disappointed.

I don't think 'I'll' be disappointed. I'm coming in with realistic expectations. In this thread I said that I'm excited for this show, but I know that some people are expecting a bit to much. The people who hype shit up to epic proportions always get let down.

I've been a fan of Whedon since Buffy like most of everyone, but even something with his touch isn't immune from cancellation (Firefly) or mediocrity (Dollhouse)

The good thing is that SHIELD has the publicity to avoid early cancellation from lack of advertisement.

Or maybe I've just been let down time after time and reserve my enthusiasm for the 2nd season after I know what I'm getting.

P.S. and what Heather said. It's a lot easier to have a great first season, but with only 13(?) episodes this year, SHIELD will have to have at least a couple great years to be considered a success.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  7. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

I don't see why Dollhouse gets as much hate as it does. Okay, it was considerably weaker than Firefly, especially because of the Echo's lack of a character... But it got pretty awesome once Alan Tudyk arrived. :p

Dude was an awesome villain.

8. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

I think Dollhouse had some lows and many highs, so I don't really consider it mediocre, but definitely not in the same league as Firefly (much higher quality average) or Buffy (much higher quantity of highs).

But, anyway, I follow Whedon's shows especially for the story, the characters and the dialogue, and budget limitations are going to affect those things very little.

The ratings should be great, considering the media coverage, the nerd-credentials and the success of the Avengers, and I firmly believe the show will be able to keep in the audience for the most part thanks to its own merits. So probably no immediate cancellation. In turn, good ratings (and Whedon's clout) should help in keeping network's meddling at bay, which is the other big concern, so... all in all I think I'll keep my expectations where they are, for now. Not that I have much of a choice in the matter. It's not like I can decide to be less excited.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes.

9. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

It was okay, but that's about all I can say for it. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. I didn't mean mediocrity to be an insult. Dollhouse was an average television show, which is actually better than some of the shit well into there 5th or 6th season.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  10. Heather_Sinclair

Can I actually quote myself? :awesome

Just to prove my point yet again.

NCIS: New Orleans

Coming soon. Fucking hell. Why? WHY! You know what we really need? Another NCIS. We just don't have enough NCIS, or Law&Order, or CSI. Let's make some more. And to counter it, let's add another reality TV show that caters to the brain dead. Let's call it Singing With the Transvestite Dancing Duck Pawn Hunters!

11. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

I think NCIS: New Orleans is an easier name to remember for that concept. They should definitely cast Kevin Kline and Mandy Patinkin for that.

12. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Duck Dynasty is the shit and I won't hear a single word against it.

All those pawn shop, junk picking, locker auction, amish mafia pieces of shit can all go burn though.

13. Heather_Sinclair

I rest my case. ;)

14. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Ep just finished, and I actually enjoyed it a lot, but it was just the pilot. Some problems need to be ironed out and it was a little raw, but I can't say it wasn't fun. I can't wait to see what really happened to Phil Coulson.

I'm just afraid that Coulson is gonna have to carry the show

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  15. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

Despite some obvious problems, enjoyable. Coulson had some pretty funny/awesome moments.

16. Heather_Sinclair

Reminded me of Fringe.

Fitz/Simmons- Accents were annoying I can barely understand them when they get rambling.

Gunn - I was hoping he'd be a regular. Can't wait for the race card to be played though. Bunch of white people saved the out of work black man... who is still out of work.

I still say Coleson (sp?) is still a LMD. Episode 15 is when he'll find out.

Asian chick- "Is that who I think it is?" Okay, who the hell is she?

Overall, a very firm 4/5. It was the first episode and they usually suck, so I give them props for making it not suck.

I liked the Thor preview!

17. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Dammit, told the wife she was on her own for this series (she already got me hooked on Blacklist last night). Now I just may have to renege on that and watch it.

18. basabbath

basabbath Second Year

Liked what I saw, I agree with Heather about accents they drove me nuts at points.

I'm not all that worried of the Network Execs messing with this since they'd be risking pissing off the guy they put in charge of one their major movie series and after "Lone Ranger" I don't really see them doing that.

19. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Generic, bland, ridiculous gadgets. The recruiting of the team couldn't be more average if they'd tried. The hacker I sort of liked but the genius brits are meh, token Asian is decent and alpha macho is poor. Caulson has his moments but he can't carry the show. I can't see him as anything other than N°2 to Fury.

It's not that bad, I think, but there's plenty of not-that-bad out there. I was expecting much more from Whedon. This fits so well into the mold that it might as well have been written by Dan Brown.

Hope it picks up in the next few episodes. As it is, I really can't see this going past the first season. And unlike Firefly, I don't think anyone will miss it when it's gone.

20. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I also agree on the accents. Not enjoyably trying to figure out what's being said. Decent job on the hacker, balancing between over-the-top smarts, a bit of sexuality, and the girl next door. Her character definitely isn't enough to carry the show and like ISWN said about Caulson, she can't carry the show either.

It somehow reminded me of a Fringe (Heather S. was right) meets Chuck meets the A-team, but without the one or two characters in any of those shows that really stick out.