1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Plus Harry and Ron being closer is probably not a good thing in this situation - that just means more reminders of the fact that his mate scored a solid 10/10 he had no chance with. Bill on the other hand is kind of peripheral to Ron a lot of the time, what with him not living at home and Ron being at school most of the year.

2. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

A Weasley finally winning something?

The family's on the poor side due to having too many school-age children in the house on one man's salary, but the Weasley family is generally depicted as being very successful in their endeavors. Bill was a Prefect and Head Boy. Charlie was a Prefect and Quidditch Captain and a very skilled Seeker. Percy was a Prefect and Head Boy. All of them basically wound up in careers of their choice, following their passions. That's the definition of success. The twins don't have much credit to their name at the time of GoF, but they've obviously got the skills and brains to create and run a highly successful business within the next two years. This is completely ignoring the part where Arthur Weasley won 700 galleons from the Daily Prophet and they all went to Egypt. That's nearly as much as the Tri-Wizard prize.

So, yeah, the Weasleys pretty much always land on their feet. Except for Percy, and he has to actively sabotage himself.

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You forgot to mention Ron being instrumental in the defeat of an extremely powerful Dark wizard.

4. Punt

Punt DA Member

Logically, Weasleys shouldn't even be in that state they live in. But alas, JKR wanted them to be poor so they forgot how to use reparo.

5. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

And Fred. He never got back to his feet, if I recall correctly.

6. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

This. Add to that the fact that Bill is the 'cool' one, and a lot older, and it's not so hard for Ron to dismiss because he figures, 'hey, she was always firmly out my [our] range anyway,' because we have to remember that he's always measuring himself against others. But Harry? Someone his own age, and a peer with whom he considers himself to be in at least friendly competition with at that, as opposed to an older, favored family member being with someone only a much older, 'cool'er wizard should be with? Issues, folks.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  7. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

Harry getting together with Fleur would need also a lot of other changes on Harry's part, and at that point I could easily see Ron and Harry drifting apart even without any issues with jealousy. Ron probably wouldn't be all that interested in hanging around with Fleur's friends (and Harry would probably be even more annoyed with Ron's flaws), and would find someone else to play chess and discuss quidditch with. It's not like there's a lack of ordinary guys in Hogwarts.

Friends drift apart all the time when they are teenagers, I see no reason why Harry and Ron should be a special case in that. I'd say it's only in the later part of DH where they reach some sort of mature "friends forever" status, up until that they are pals whose parents just happen to also be connected through the Order.

8. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Normal friends don't usually go through near death experiences with each other on a yearly basis though. That's why Harry and Ron (Hermione too) are a "special case" and it would take quite a bit to completely annihilate their friendship.

I mean, think about when Ron sacrificed himself in the chess match in first year so Harry could stop Voldemort, or when Harry and Ron went into the chamber together and Harry saved Ron's sister. Those are some pretty strong bonding moments, and that's why I find it hard to believe that they'd just sort of drift apart or let something inconsequential implode their friendship.

9. Alexx

Alexx Card Captored and buttsecksed

What would have changed if Harry had been sorted into Slytherin?

What if Malfoy had died in the bathroom duel in HBP? What would happen to Harry then?

10. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Maybe everything, maybe nothing. It's possible that being surrounded by people like Malfoy would result in him being indoctrinated into the pureblood/anti-Dumbledore values. He might even end up siding with Voldemort as a result.

It's also possible that the story would remain exactly the same he just wears green sometimes instead of red. Most likely it would end up somewhere in between, it's too big a change to be able to predict what the results would be. So make up whatever you want.

11. Punt

Punt DA Member

Since Harry already pissed off Malfoy on the train, its unlikely they would suddenly become friends. Ron would probably stop talking to him and Hermione might even get killed by the troll. The rest of the changes depend on how much his personality is changed by being sorted into Slytherin.

12. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

And Horcrux in his scar would get much more nourishing environment if Harry would dabble in Dark Magic.

13. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I lol'd.

/tenchar

EDIT: OT --

Some elder Malfoys die, Harry does a lot of detention, Dumbledore lives to plan to die another day.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  14. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fanon, there's nothing that shows the Horcrux is at all involved with Harry other than giving him parseltongue and the connection.

15. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

So this is a question I've always wanted to ask but I've kind of been embarassed to ask, how do you tell the difference between a two dimensional and three dimensional character? because there have been characters I thought were 3D but were apparently 2D..is there a sure fire way of knowing who is who?

16. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

A good three-dimensional character is the hero of his or her own story. They have their own motivations, their own quirks, their own personalities. They do not serve just to fill a role in someone else's story.

Sometimes people disagree about which characters are which.

I'd consider professor Sprout to be fairly 2D. She is in the story to be the Herbology Teacher and the Head of Hufflepuff. We don't know why she loves herbology, or why she wanted to teach, or really anything else about her. We don't know if she has any goals in life, what she does on the weekends, etc.

Snape is 3D. We know why he acts the way he does, he has complex goals that are tied up in his past -- and we know about it. Lily, the Death Eaters, Dumbledore, James Potter, and so on. We can understand how Snape ticks, at least to a point, and it makes him interesting.

Characters like Susan Bones tend to be fairly 2D. They exist to fill out the roster of people-Harry-is-aware-of in other houses. Oliver Wood exists to be the Sports-Captain-Fanatic. Colin Creevey is the starstruck younger student.

Could you argue that the above characters are 3D? Probably, but compared to characters like Neville I don't think they are. With Neville we know why he acts how he does (overbearing grandmother, comatose parents) and we can understand his motivations.

Does that help answer the question?

If you are trying to write a three-dimensional character, it's usually suggested that you put yourself in their shoes. Make sure they have a backstory and reasons for acting how they act, and keep in mind that their choices will be based on their own story (not whatever is conveniently needed to happen for the main characters story to progress).

17. CBH

CBH Sixth Year

[​IMG]

Versus

[​IMG]

In all seriousness, Cheddar said it pretty well. Just wanted to add that I think Voldemort is a pretty 2D character despite being the main antagonist of the series. He has a long, complicated backstory, but it all pretty much boils down to he's evil. He wants power since he's evil and wants to control others, killed Harry's parents because he's evil and afraid to die, pretty much everything he does is based on this.

We never see him show any real human emotion, he never acts contrary to being completely and irredeemably evil, and we never see any true motivations or goals besides power itself. This was somewhat addressed and waved away by JKR later as him being born to a parent under a love potion.

18. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

Exactly, because:

And if Harry's soul isn't this pure, what happens then? Maybe nothing...

I think we haven't seen in the books how far their connection could go potentially. But this is just my opinion.

19. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

On the Way to Greatness » by mira mirth reviews
    As per the Hat's decision, Harry gets Sorted into Slytherin upon his arrival in Hogwarts - and suddenly, the future isn't what it used to be.

20. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Do you ever get to a point in your story where you're basically arguing with your character over how a seen is going to play out? I have a scene I'm writing and the conversation between two characters is supposed to go one way, but everytime I try to write it, it doesn't, and the character ends up very different than how I envisioned him (this is the first scene with this character).

I've had it happen before with characters, and usually it seems to turn out decently well, but I worry that at times it ends up being a lot of unnecessary character development.

Not open for further replies.