1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

No those are just her being a bitch.

My example is her being a shitty friend.

She could have still delt with it, but she could and should have spoken to Harry first, and not acted like a uppity bitch when confronted about it.

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Which is a perfectly good reason to be annoyed with her during PoA when that shit was going on. Which we all were, I believe.

Not sure why you would still be holding it against her by the end of the series.

3. The Sorting Cat

The Sorting Cat Second Year

Winky the house-elf.

4. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Umbridge, but that's kinda the point. Barty Crouch Sr. pissed me off in almost every scene he was in too.

5. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

Let it not be forgotten her dumbass broke Harry's wand

6. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

What is it she actually says? I'm trying to remember this but striking a blank, and I don't have HBP on hand. It sounds pretty brutal and I think I'd remember something like that, but obviously not.

7. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

Seems she wasn't rubbing it in so much as disclosing the explanation for a perceived discrepancy in what is the least tactful way possible. And, yeah, okay, maybe rubbing it in a bit.

8. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

I dislike Hermione, but not because she can be a major bitch at times. I don't like her character because she is such a transparent plot device that I can't stand it when, yet again, she has all the answers Harry needs at the precise moment that he needs them. There were few inventive instances where Harry or another character had split second info crucial to the moment. It was always Hermione, which made her more of a driving force in the plot than the main protagonist/main character. I just feel that it's bad writing, as in my opinion no secondary character should have such power and drive in a story over the MC, who people should be reading the series for.

9. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

The books would be much better if Harry got some of Hermione's character development, of that I am sure. Perhaps even removing her from the story entirely would have worked well.

10. Joncis

Joncis Third Year

Perhaps not the most, but Molly Weasley really pissed me off with her overbearing mothering of Harry. I get where she's coming from and how she's supposed to be a parent figure, but it still really irked me to the point where I could hardly stand her.

And in my opinion, it was total bullshit that she killed Bellatrix. Make the Death Eaters more incompetent, will you JK?

11. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

I dunno. Harry really values Molly's mothering. It satisfies that part of him that craves family. And Molly's not exactly being unreasonable at trying to shield Harry from participating in the war while he's too young.

She lost two brothers in the last war, both members of the Order of the Phoenix. She winds up with two sons disfigured, one estranged, and one dead over the course of this one. Remember her boggart. That is her worst fear, and it's going to come true, and she knows it. She loves Harry as one of her sons, and fears for him just as much as she does Ron.

Also, who says that Molly defeating Bellatrix means that Bellatrix is incompetent (ignoring that Bellatrix is actually pretty incompetent for many, many other reasons)? Maybe it means that Molly is a lot more competent and badass than anyone gave her credit for. She's a housewife, sure, but she had the same magical education as anyone who attended Hogwarts and had two brothers who were in the Order in the last war.

Sometimes, I think people are overly influenced by negative fanon depictions of characters.

12. Alexx

Alexx Card Captored and buttsecksed

If you were a muggle born attending Hogwarts, what would you do when Voldemort came back? Would you fight for the light side or run away?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  13. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Move to Australia.

yak
  14. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Learn the Fidelias Charm.

15. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

If it's not too late to join the discussion on how we feel about Hermione...

I remain divided on her. On one hand, she can be a know-it-all hypocrite at times, especially with house elves and a good chunk of HBP. On the other hand, she does show some character development.

But at the end of the day, her biggest problem is that she is Rowling's Self-Insert. And that is never a good thing for any story.

Having said that, it bothers me like crazy when Fanon alternates between making her an obsessive bitch to Harry's literal soulmate.

Still, it's not like she's the worst major character in the series. That would be Voldemort, who really is a lousy villain when you think about it. He is nothing more than an insane bigot, with some hypocrisy thrown in when you remember he's a Half-blood, his Magical side had nothing but pitiful and pathetic people (and he knows that), and yet he still becomes the leader of the various other insane bigots.

16. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

17. Alexx

Alexx Card Captored and buttsecksed

What about Snape? I mostly hate him because how much of an asshole he was to Harry.

Did it disappoint you that Dumbledore died to save Malfoy of all people?

How skilled would you liked Harry to be in canon?

Edit: Oops didn't see that post. I will stop.

18. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Uh yeah I'd be gone. Somewhere far away.

19. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not as good as Dumbledore and Voldemort, for sure. Harry should never have been able to beat Voldemort on his own terms aka conventional magic.

But I would have liked him to be somewhat more proactive, and a bit better at taking on Death Eaters. Not so useless at occlumency, nor silent magic. Capable of magical initiative and some level of creativity.

I think a good model would have been the same level as James Potter and Sirius Black. Not terribly hard working, but sufficiently talented to coast through, especially when it comes to the more practical subjects involving magic use rather than history, astronomy etc. Able to duel well, and all normal magic comes to him easily. Able to take on a couple of creative projects and use magic in novel ways. But at the same time, not sufficiently powerful to sail through opponents.

20. Joncis

Joncis Third Year

Oh, I know the part she plays and the reasoning behind her actions. Her intent is fine and Harry likes her, even if she's frustrating at times. I however, don't care for her; it's just a personal preference. Yes, it could have been influenced by fanon, but there were moments in canon where I wished someone would just punch her in the face.

Yes, Molly could have the skills to defeat Bellatrix, but I find it unlikely. There was nothing that alluded to any combat training for Molly, while Bellatrix has trained under Voldemort. I realize her stay in Azkaban didn't do her any good, but at least we know she has a history as a duelist. I think it's more like JK wanted to show the "Power of Love" triumphing when Molly went to protect her daughter. And, like a bunch of school kids defeating hardened killers, it didn't really make a lot of sense to me.

And I like what Taure said would be a reasonable skill level for Harry. I'd have enjoyed the books much more if Harry was actually that capable.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
Not open for further replies.