1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I'm not sure thats correct. I think they are implying both, that they steal the wand and magic.

Now stealing magic is obviously BS, and they know it, but its just an excuse.

2. Joncis

Joncis Third Year

That's the problem. The characters just seem to accept it as fact and move on - I'd didn't like it.

Honestly, that was the reasoning I was following. I personally would call it stealing, even if it's inadvertent.

Makes sense. Though it bugs me that wizards are pretty much muggles without their wands in canon. There was a scene where Ron couldn't even apparate without his wand on him. Ugh.

---------- Post automerged at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

I agree that it's BS, but it rubs me the wrong way that Ron acts like what he said was simply common sense.

3. Alexx

Alexx Card Captored and buttsecksed

About Lupin's negligence of Harry... Dumbledore no doubt assured him that Harry was fine, so he stayed away. Or, possibly, he stayed away because it hurt too much. It's been stated ad nauseum that Harry is the spitting image of his father - it'd make sense if Lupin didn't want to see him. Or it could be that JKR never thought of him prior to PoA.

4. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Now contemplating a Mad Idea: there is a reason for squibs and muggleborns to show up, but it isn't genetics, exactly.

Someone is stealing magic from the children of magical families, when it looks like the magic will be wasted on their limited capacities. This agent knows about all the children from magical families as they are born;, uses a special spell to evaluate them (early IQ & test for genetic/situational damage) and if they are found wanting, uses a device he invented to capture the Gift. This agent then finds a promising muggle child (using the same assessment spell) and bestows the stolen Gift onto that child.

Since accidental magic doesn't manifest in some children until they are school age (5+), the theft goes unnoticed.

And he was motivated to do so because he would have taken the magic away from his crippled sister if he could have, if only to protect her and the neighborhood from magic that would never be anything but accidental.

5. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That would go rather fundamentally against said agent's philosophy, though. If you feel that a person's worth is decided by the choices they make, you don't judge them based on the circumstances of their birth.

6. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Fair point. I tacked on the Albus reference when I realized the agent could be more sinister if seeming to be moral. Better switch it to the Ollivander clan.

7. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Time Travel solves that, surely?

8. Shymer

Shymer Third Year

Do we actually see wizards apparate when they don't have their wand?

From what I remember, it is necessery to have it.

9. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

The only spell that I can recall at the moment that definitely does not require a wand at all, either in one's hand or in one's vicinity, is the Animagus spell that Sirius could perform at will in Azkaban.

Apparition is sort of a grey area. It's never stated that it requires a wand, and no characters who are described Apparating or learning to Apparate are mentioned using their wand, but there are a couple of places on canon where it is necessary to at least have a wand in one's possession.

For those less enthralled with the necessity of wands for basically any magic, they had to be simply thrilled when Rowling 'clarified' that potions require a wand to successfully brew.

10. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

I love that you need a wand to brew potions. Fuck Muggles being able to tap into the magical world and out strip wizards in potions just because they are able to cook or do chemistry!

11. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    And yet, Harry did plenty of magic before he ever had a wand. The glass disappearing in the zoo is pretty much the Vanishing Spell. He seems to wandlessly and accidentally cast the Reducio Charm when his Aunt was trying to make him wear a shirt (sweater? don't remember) he didn't want to wear.

An argument may be made for not being able to purposefully use magic or be specific with the spells, but it sure seems like you can accidentally cast some very specific spells when you're young and don't have a wand.

12. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

He was also able to (arguably) Apparate and regrow his hair. Along with a color-changing charm on his teacher's hair.

13. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

How was Barty Crouch successfully able to walk using one leg within one day after polyjuicing as Moody?

14. Andrela

Magic, probably.

15. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Magic, I guess? Maybe Polyjuice gives you muscle memory from the donor too? I imagine it would be pretty hard to control a whole new body even if all the limbs were intact. Harry and Ron's proportions were completely different to Crabbe and Goyle but they didn't seem to take any time to adjust.

16. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Is it weird that I'm starting to feel like situations like Lily's, Snape's, and Riddle's are more the norm than we think, at least in situations where the child is moderately well cared for, without the same parental abuses Harry endured?

17. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A quick question: I can't seem to remember but was Notice-Me-Not charm ever mentioned in canon?

18. Punt

Punt DA Member

Nope. There are muggle-repelling charms though.

19. Andrela

Nah, it is completely fanon.

Repello Muggletum only makes things 'invisible' (in the sense that they can't concieve of them) to muggles.

20. Henry Persico

Henry Persico Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

On that note, who was the first author to use a reppeling charm as "Notice-Me-Not"?

Not open for further replies.