1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (New Joss Whedon TV Show)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Rubicon, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

I don't know About predictable since you know
    since joss has killed character in the first season before in Angel when Doyle died. So I honestly tought she was going to die for a moment.

2. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I remember reading an interview with Joss where he said the main reason he killed Doyle so early was to establish that even central characters could die at any time in his shows.

I'm personally hoping Ward kicks it.

3. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Is it just me or id they imply the Melinda May has died and was brought back like Coulson?

4. basabbath

basabbath Second Year

Liked the last episode even though as other people have commented it was fairly predictable. That being said I have a feeling that we will be seeing more of Fury, both from Coulson's actions and the teaser for the next episode.

5. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

Okay, I'll admit it; I'm enjoying this show. I think it might be because I went in with no expectations. I mean, I figured it'd be in the same vein as the Avengers, at least in terms of mixing humour with action and some serious moments, and that's what I'm getting. No, Joss isn't involved as showrunner, and if he was, it might be going a little more smoothly.

But all I want out of this show is some action and some humour in a familiar setting, and that's what it delivers.

The character development is slow, I'll grant you... but it is starting to pick up. I remember watching the first episode of Dollhouse, and the second, and thinking to myself, "I don't care." I seriously did not give a flying fuck about Echo. And the stories she was living weren't interesting enough to hold me. And so I gave up.

And people haven't shut the fuck up about how great it became later on for years.

I found the pilot of Firefly entertaining, but despite having had the complete DVDs since April, I still haven't watched another episode. My loss, probably... and I will get to it, and I will love it, I'm sure. But I understand why there was never a huge audience.

And I understand why this show isn't holding too much interest. As much as people talk about action, and humour, and intrigue and romance and twists, it's ultimately the characters that make us want to pay attention.

And what characters do we have? The young hacker with a mysterious past, the amalga-geeks, an ass-kicking lady who hates kickin' ass, Captain Generica, and Phil Coulson.

Coulson is, I think it's safe to say, the main reason anybody who watched the movies tuned in in the first place. Because he was an awesome character, and we wanted to see what happened to him.

But the rest of them were just tropes and sketches for the first three episodes or so, as the show tried to force on the action and UST - what the networks notes probably insisted upon.

Now, however, we know more. Skye actually had a life before this show, and now we know a few things about it - bounced around the system, wants to know her parents, got herself inside because SHIELD knows something about the dead parents, enjoys movies like "The Big Leibowski". She's getting interesting, and I'd actually like to see more scenes of just Coulson and her.

Ward developed his insecurities and protective instincts as a kid, caught between his brothers. He prefers to work alone because he has a deep-rooted fear of not being able to protect others.

Fitz and Simmons have been joined at the hip for years because they work so darn well together, plus she obviously has a massive crush on him, and he's completely oblivious - though maybe less so after the latest episode.

Coulson's a different man from what he was in the Phase One movies... but hey, getting stabbed through the heart will do that to a guy. he's more talkative and a little less cocksure, and that vulnerability make shim more human and more relatable.

So far, May's the only one we really don't know much about - she's stubborn and can be impatient, taciturn and has a soft spot for Phil, possibly due to a past relationship, though that is left vague - that's pretty much it, and those are more character traits than actual information. But she's also growing, like the others, more so in the last two episodes than the first three.

The humour is feeling more natural, the references to the movies are just enough to make me and the other fanboys smirk, they've stopped hitting us in the face with pairings, and the special effects are so much better than the Blacklist it's laughable. (Did anybody see the trainwreck in the second episode of that show? JFC it was awful.)

So, bottom line, yeah, I'm enjoying it, though I get why people aren't. I'm going to stick it out for the year. Even my wife, who browses Pinterest while I'm watching agrees it's getting better.

6. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

7. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    About Coulson, I still want to know what's the deal with the phrase "It's a magical place" whenever anyone asks about/mentions Tahiti. It's so automatic for him and he's said it so many times I think there's no possible way it won't become a plot point soon.

8. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

The one thing I honestly can't get over is the Hacker girl. They just pick her up and she's an agent in a government agency that deals with E.T threats, and they send her to do fieldwork. I don't know the whole situation just makes Shield seem incompetent and I can't take any of the stories seriously after that(hell I wouldn't even have minded a montage).

To have just punch a bag a couple of times and suddenly she's fighting mercenaries and other agents? Then they should just recruit anyone and they became an unstoppable force. Its part of the reason why I like the soldier character better because he's the only one questioning why they're ferrying around an untrained civilian to handle delicate world matters and he just gets brushed off and because she's pretty he'll also let go of it and begin a romantic relationship with her.

I just really don't like the Hacker girl.

9. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm approaching this show much like Chuck. Mindless entertainment, a guilty pleasure. But I have to admit, the show's growing on me.

10. syed

syed Supermod

THe thing is the next episode is a tie in to the thor 2 movie, so unless you want to be messed up, you need to see the movie first.

11. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

This show is alot like Torchwood to me.

One character is from a popular franchise who I liked to see more of, a team that I slowly start to like and a "main character" that I would enjoy to see die in a fire.

12. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

I saw Thor 2 but I didn't really see a tie in, did I miss something?

13. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

It's next week's episode that ties in, according to the promo. Some Berserker or Elf artifact/weapon got left behind in London that grants superhuman strength but also causes severe rage issues - think the 'Item 47' one-shot, but longer.

14. syed

syed Supermod

Am i the only one thinking that skye may be the secret daughter of of a villain?

15. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    The writers have left her background well and truly open to do something that bland and stupid, yes.

16. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I wish book editors say enough is enough and infiltrate Hollywood during two glorious years of espionage...and assassinations and explosions. But their operation to bring peace to a troubled industry might be more dangerous than they imagine when unexpected factions begin to conspire against them and betrayal strikes from within their own ranks.

Oh, wai- Shit.

17. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I could not care less about her or her tragic back-story. Here's hoping for an epic major character death.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  18. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

She's gonna be Fury's daughter. Duh. :)

19. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

More likely she's Coulson's.

20. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Soooo May and Ward? Not some shit I expected, ever. Loved the hell out of the episode.