1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Cyclops, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Something like that.

edit: HF was a little too upsetting for me. and I couldn't help but think of creepy japanese dudes masturbating to it.

2. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

They will never animate HF. I mean, first of all, Saber is... well, she's not Shirou's lover in it. And Saber is 83.5% of the reason anyone even liked the original FSN anime (it's certainly not for Shirou, though to be fair, I think Shirou has a leg up over most shounen protagonists). That alone is enough to make it a tough sell probably to some studio.

Secondly, Sakura is not even 5% as magnetic as Rin or Saber. She's just not popular. HF is sure to not fix that, considering she's not exactly 'girlfriend material' towards the end of it (unless you like crazy people with tentacles). Again, a tough sell.

I mean, HF is probably the best story telling of all three arcs, and there's very little wish fulfillment, so it gets points for maintaining a dark and desperate atmosphere for a lot of it. But... it's just not something that can become a one season anime. The current prevailing attitude is, what? It's got to have moe. If it doesn't have moe, it must have lots of action and lots of happy fun romance sequences? Something like that.

I don't get the point of doing Saber's route all over again, but that's what they're going to do because Saber sells. I think you guys may not be aware how 'famous' Saber is as a character. She ranks #1 on a lot of cross-series polls.

UBW has a lot of awesome moments too, but that's not enough to propel even that into a proper season format. The only reason they're probably even doing this is because they think they can milk Saber a little more...

As someone who's pretty tired of FSN as a whole, I would enjoy a new arc over a rerun of Fate or UBW, but Nasu seems pretty disinterested in his universe at this point, so it is unlikely we will see new stories concerning these characters.

3. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

If they want to get as much money from the audience as possible they will do all of the routes eventually, then move on to adapting the other Fate visual novels.

On a related note, I recently discovered the existence of Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Ilya and just finished the first episode. I have no idea why this exists, but it was... cute?

4. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

All I know is that the show feels like a cheap cash grab and goes with the stupid fanon portrayal of Ilya. Due to that, I have no interest in watching it or even learning facts about it.

5. Punt

Punt DA Member

Fuck Saber. I'll take HF Shirou's manliness over her any day. I highly doubt the fans of FZ who haven't played FSN where too impressed by her anyway.

6. Brukel

Brukel Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

What exactly is the appeal of Saber? Out of all of them I liked Rin the most, but it seems like I'm in a small minority considering the popularity Saber seems to have.

Honestly I'd be surprised if they do do HF, it just seems like too much effort setting the ground work when the Fate route is reasonably straightforward. And again there is that issue of Sakura not being that popular.

7. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

I liked her well enough. She was overshadowed by Kiritsugu, Kirei, Irisviel, Gilgamesh, and Rider though. I did enjoy her friendship with Irisviel.

I enjoyed the way her ideals differed from Kiritsugu's and the conflict that caused. In another show she would have been the heroine, but the way the show was framed, the atmosphere, and the debates between Kiritsugu/Saber/Rider/Gilgamesh made it purposefully difficult to tell who was the hero and who was the villain, who was right and who was wrong.

I was more on Kiritsugu's side though. Saber's morality just didn't mesh with the present time she found herself in.

I really liked this scene with Saber and Kiritsugu's clashing ideologies.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  8. Punt

Punt DA Member

Nasu himself said the he wanted to make Fate Zero just to see Rider and Gilgamesh verbally bitchslap Saber.

9. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

You know what I think I'll be okay if it's HF. :3

10. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Never enough, right Lungs?

11. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

I like Saber well enough, but not to the extent she ranks in Japan. It's something about the ideal Japanese woman or some such, that propels her to her place at the top of the charts. I don't want to psychoanalyze a culture, but the fact remains that FSN probably only got an anime in the first place is because of Saber.

12. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

If it was the ideal japanese woman, Yamato Nadeshiko, then wouldn't they prefer Sakura?

13. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Continuing the HF spoiler fest. If one has not played the VN, one should do so anyways.

Can't have a waifu that is not a virgin and raped. No wish fulfillment to be had there.

14. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

I dunno, plenty of japanese seem to be into that sort of kink.

15. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It's one of the things I really liked as well, although I have to say, I was quite disappointed with the one-sidedness over all, by which I mainly mean the Grail Dialogue between Rider, Archer and Saber. It really felt too much like a one-sided lecture that really could have been extended to a longer conversation. It felt a bit forced that Saber just didn't come up with a solid reply and was more or less just there to make Rider look better, and his ideal of kingship ultimately was just as flawed as hers, if not more so.

But outside of that, quite liked the different ideologies. Those things work at their best when both parties raise valid points, which, I think, was the reason why the scene you linked resonates so strongly with people, because you can see where both are right and wrong.

Kiritsugu, despite what he claims, is taking out a lot on Saber and his goal (you can't tell me that keeping your most powerful weapon openly hostile towards yourself is a smart strategy), eternal peace, is retarded and naive, even if you consider a working wish granting device. What would that even mean? Mind control of some sorts? Permanently altering human nature? What would no conflict even mean, everyone agrees on everything, no individuality and what not?

At the same time, he is also right that there is no such thing as nobility in war, and heroes did glamorize combat way too much and chivalry itself is an unrealistic, broken and inherently unjust concept to begin with.

One of those personal decisions, whether one tries to stop wars altogether or whether one accepts their inevitability and tries to force a certain standard upon them to ensure they do not cross a certain threshold.

So, personally, this concept of a character who such flawed ideals and self-perception, but not entirely wrong ones, yet who strives for the goal as she does is why it makes her character so interesting, to me, at least. Am quite a fan of the Arthur mythology and stuff and seeing this different take on it and chivalry in general, is quite fascinating. Actually wish we would get a series where we see Saber actually acting like a king and leader instead of the servant role she has lowered herself into, as the price for her shot towards her goal.

16. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

I concur, though I was mollified by the thought that it could have been partly leading in to the character development she would undergo during the Fate Route (and UBW Route to an extent) in FSN.

17. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I don't know. While removing all conflict would be too much of change to human nature, removing desire to physically hurt people people you disagree with is rather reasonable alternation. I would basically made the real life a lot like the Internet. Everybody would disagree about everything, but nobody would kill because of that.

Of course some would say that even that small change would equal with taking away human free will altogether.

18. Pieman

Pieman Seventh Year

The biggest problem I can see with a HF adaptation is that the best parts of it won't be animated. The shining moments in HF are all "Bad Ends." Unless they troll Sakura fans by going Mind of Steel, or become the best damned studio to exist and canonize and continue on from Sparks Liner High, half the magic is gone.

19. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

You could probably get away with both. Shirou could imagine the Mind of Steel scenario before making his choice, and they could take some liberties and have him carry on from Spark Liner High to finish the fight.

Not that it would bother me if they were missed out.

20. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Would that work like, you get the desire and are unable to act on it because some force holds you back or you never get that desire to begin with? Because the latter seems to be fundamentally altering human nature in a significant way and not necessarily in a good way. The former would be just bizarre. Seems to be a difficult line to draw, if you know what I mean.