1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Tablet Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Thaumologist, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    With my current job, I've got about two to three hours a day spent waiting on train platforms or the staff canteen a day, so I'm buying a tablet to fill the time.

I'm looking for a 3G tablet, and I won't be doing anything too intensive on it - watching films, reading, and writing - so it doesn't need to be excessively powerful.

Currently, I'm looking at either a Samsung Galaxy Note 8, or a Google Nexus 7, but I'm not desperate for either.

I'd rather not use an iPad, as iTunes is awful. My mum's got one, and I think she's given up trying to get things on to it without just grabbing them from the internet instead.

So does anyone have a tablet they'd recommend or one they'd recommend avoiding?

Also, tablet discussion general.

2. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

I got a Nexus 7 (2012), and its good to read, watch films on, and etc, but writing is a bit cumbersome. You can write, but it will be slow, feel weird, and ideas might not flow as well because you will be exceedingly conscious of the way that you are typing. For writing, I'd suggest a pen and paper (and I'm not trying to be snarky here - I tried using a tablet for that very purpose and found myself reverting less than week later.) However, if you can get a bluetooth keyboard, that's another matter entirety.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  3. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I know there is a lot of Apple hate around here. But I brought a 3 year old second hand iPad 1st gen. It had some superficial scratches on the back but the face was fine.

It is still super fast, plays most apps I want to use, only the lattest apps designed for the lattest iPad sometimes dont work on it, but I dont really use them, or there are old editions to use.

I got it for $95 (USD) since it is several generations old, but it is still brilliant. Lots of apps, very fast, and simple to use.

Check out online second hadn sites or local retailers, especially second hand shops and pawns shops, I was amazed when I went into one and they had 300 different tablets, some current gen.

4. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I've tried iPad's with several different cheapish blutooth keyboards [the kind which is part of a protective leather iPad case] and they were rubbish to type on. They were soft and rubbery so that they wouldn't damage the iPad's screen. They weren't tactile enough, it was like using a keyboard made of play-doh. Mush.

If you're really keen to write on your tablet then I strongly suggest that you try a keyboard for a while before you buy it if at all possible. Or find something with stellar reviews.

I'm not remotely fussy when it comes to keyboards, but I'm very disappointed with the selections available for tablets.

Also, a blutooth keyboard means activating blutooth on your tablet and a corresponding drop in battery life. It's just something to keep in mind.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  5. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

I have a first gen ASUS Transformer, a keyboard is a must if you plan to type a lot so why not add one with an extra battery? It's good to read and watch movies on. Just add a custom ROM and the battery (with the keyboard) is super long.

6. Thaumologist

High Score:
    I got the Samsung Galaxy, and so far it's been great for reading and browsing. It didn't come with a cover or anything, so I haven't taken it out that often, but I'm planning on grabbing one before work tomorrow.

I've been using a kindle, I think, and the backlighting makes an incredible difference - I only really used the ebook when I had nothing else.

7. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I'd recommend the iPad. What issues exactly does your mom have with uploading files on it? Music files should be easy as hell, and VLC will play almost every video type out there, especially the more prominent types.

I've been using a Galaxy Tab 10.1 since a few months after it came out -- got it as a present. It was... acceptable. But it only reinforced my idea that while Android is a good counter to iOS, it's still not as fluid as it. It was meant to be Android's answer to the iPad 2, but hell, I don't even think it worked as well as my cousin's first gen iPad. It's glitchy as fuck a lot of the time, apps don't work nearly as well on it as they do on iPad's (any generation).

The iPad mini w/ retina display will blow any current Android tablet out of the water (especially if you only look at those in it's size range). Once devs start coming out with 64 bit apps it'll be even better.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  8. The Fine Balance

Personally, doing anything with Music, movies, writing, reading (books and comics), browsing, listening to youtube in the background, syncing tabs/data across PC & tab feels pretty streamlined on my Nexus 7. The only drawback is the space - and that is not a small drawback - but it all seems workable. I don't mind a bit of lag for the significant amount of money saved, both in terms of upfront device cost as well as lifetime app purchases and etc. (Apps with similar functionality, though usually less polish, are mostly cheaper on the Play store).

Also, while looking up the iPad mini I ran across this gem:

9. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

You can background YouTube in android? How? By rooting it? I just tried, didn't work for me.

The retina display mini is not retardedly expensive, especially considering how much better it is than the competition.

10. Thaumologist

High Score:
    Her only real issues were that she had to use itunes for everything, converting files for itunes, and figuring out where things ended up going - you don't have a huge amount of control over your directories.

I've had problems with itunes deciding my music is bad, and deleting all of it. Or deleting some of them. Or making them only work for forty seconds. Or only allowing audiobooks OR music OR podcasts on the ipod.

I just decided I didn't want that hassle.

11. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think she's trying to do it wrong. Or she's trying to use a tablet in a way it's not meant to be. There are no directories on iOS, just apps. Also, I don't think iTunes is any where near as bad as it used to be.

For a good new tablet, I think you only really have two choices as far as I can see.

iPad Mini with Retina Display Or Nexus 7

Both have their upsides and downsides, and the reviews I linked to above do a better job of explaining it than I could.

12. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Yeah, it seems to me like you actually haven't used iTunes in a while. It's an extremely streamlined process, not difficult at all to do. Each individual app has their own directory which you access in itunes -- that's how you add video files to VLC, for example. I mean, go for Android if you want, bro, but don't dismiss the iPad out of hand just because of a couple bad experiences you had back in the past.

I've had an iPod since high school and an iPhone for the past three years, I've never had any trouble at all getting music and video files onto them.

13. The Fine Balance

You can root, but Viral provides you the ability to listen to youtube in the background. (It's silly that that functionality is missing from the official app.)

In India, the iPad Mini with retina is appox. three times as expensive as the Nexus(2012) that I just purchased. (12k vs 36k). So, yeah, the retarded-ly expensive applies.

14. dhulli

dhulli The Reborn

I've tried the Kindle Fire HDX and I was impressed by how slick and snappy it was compared to regular android tablets. I haven't tried an ipad but I assume that's how it feels like.

15. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

India doesn't count. India never counts.

16. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Luckily OP is from England then. :p

17. Peace

Peace High Inquisitor

I'm looking for some advice on what tablet to buy. I'd use it to:

- take notes during lectures
    - surf the internet
    - watch videos
    - other general tasks

I'm currently looking at either a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 or an iPad 2 but I'm not sure what would be the better device app-wise, especially with the writing apps.

Does anyone with one of those devices have a problem with them? If so, what?

Anyone have an opinion? Or a different recommendation?

18. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Ugh. I've looked into taking notes on my iPad, and all I got is that Steve Jobs hated styluses. I haven't found one good note taking stylus for the iPad yet. There are good styluses for drawing, though. Notetaking, not so much.

I'd go for galaxy tab if you're looking for notetaking. I know I read somewhere about a fine point stylus that works really well with the tab, but for the life of me I can't remember what the name was or the manufacturer.

19. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

My cousin had an awesome stylus for his ipad. It was all metal and had the tiniest of contacts. I can't remember the name, but I know there is a good stylus if you're searching. He got his at Target.

I have a Nexus 7 (first gen) and have to say I'm happy with it. Once you get used to swipe typing it's really not that big of a chore. Or like others said, you could go for a bt keyboard.

The tablet I'd recommend to you is the Asus Transformer. I had a first gen of those for a while and it was excellent to use. It also has an optional dock with extended battery and keyboard. Basically transforms the tablet to a netbook when needed. And the keys don't feel anything like mush. They are a bit close together though. But tactile response is great.