1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Xbox One v Playstation 4

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Relic, Nov 16, 2013.

1. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

I liked 13 as well, but EVERYTHING I've heard about 13-3's ending has people raging and grieving and just overall outcry against it. The only problem, I wont watch it on youtube or read the full synopsis because I Hate spoilers (and I haven't finished 13-2)

Currently trying to speed through 13-2 right now so I can pepare myself for this.

2. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I'm just pointing out that there are JRPGs other than Final Fantasy. If a guy doesn't like the direction Final Fantasy has gone - as I don't - they can try other games. I suggested some. There's nothing wrong with liking modern Final Fantasy, really.

Incidentally, Ni no Kuni is pretty bad.

3. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Aye the hate is ridiculous. I've played every single FF save for the mmos, and I have to say that while 13 was lackluster, 13-2 was actually a really great game (apart from that annoying fucking moogle). SE actually listened to criticism of 13, and improved all the aspects that needed improving. More than can be said for most game companies.

13-3 looks like an absolutely amazing RPG. The active CSB/ATB system is just a really neat mutation of its predecessor.

15 is being made by the KH team and I laugh in the face of anyone who thinks Tetsuya Nomura can't make a quality product.

4. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Omg, so, so moist for that.

I'm surprised Sony didn't try get exclusivity on it or KH3 given the popularity of both franchises, a la MS and Titanfall (trying desperately to tie it back to topic before mods get angry :p).

I'm thinking EA made that deal before E3 and preorder numbers / popularity of their game came to light.

I bet MS paid something like $40m for exclusivity because of that. New IPs generally don't sell as well as sequels, so EA would have gobbled up the guaranteed money and figured they were being super savvy. That money will be peanuts if it sells over a million consoles, all of which need xbox gold to play it (as it's online only).

It's all supposition atm and it could still sell avg# copies (destiny is the big one next year imo).

5. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I suspect Sony did make offers, but because porting between various systems is a relatively simple task now compared to 6th/7th gen, SE stands to make far more releasing 15 and KH3 on multiple platforms than they would from an exclusivity deal with Sony or Microsoft.

6. Gengar

High Score:
    Ditto could be said for respawn and titanfall.

Odd they weren't as confident in their title. That, or they thought the ps4 would tank anyway.

7. Solomon

Solomon Heir

EA and Titanfall, really. And the full exclusivity reveal wasn't until after it became apparent that the PS4 was going to do very well, so if potential PS4 sales factored in at all, it factored in MS's decision to go to EA about exclusivity.

8. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If I can't put the controller down in the middle of a battle to make a cup of tea -- without pausing -- I don't want to play it XD

9. Gengar

High Score:
    That deal was put in place long before the reveal.

10. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

I doubt Sony has a lot money to spend on 3rd party exclusives.

Why EA? They are afaik only the distributor. Since the ugly divorce from Activision I doubt the Respawn founders will give away the control over the franchise again.

11. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

Sony doesn't really need 3rd party exclusives that much. With people like naughty dog, sucker punch and guerilla working for you, you have all the quality exclusives you can ever need.

EDIT: My bad, thanks Solomon.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  12. Solomon

Solomon Heir

They probably didn't give away control over the franchise, but EA, as the publisher, likely does have the right to make decisions like that. The difference is, they may have signed over distribution rights for that single title, which could mean Titanfall Sigma in 2015 for PS4, or Titanfall 2 for both major platforms (and PC of course.)

And I'm not convinced full exclusivity was signed before E3. Timed exclusivity absolutely, but I still get the impression that Microsoft went over to EA and handed them more money to make that one title fully exclusive.

FEDIT: Guerrilla, not Gorilla, Meerkats.

13. Gengar

High Score:
    This is a tweet from Vince Zampella from respawn in October:

" Always MS exclusive at launch, great partner and focus is good for a startup. EA made a deal for the rest, we only found out recently =("

So respawn knew it was at least a timed exclusive. EA did the rest.

Say what you want about EA, they're not stupid. Had they known about ps4's popularity, they'd never have gone through with making TF a 'lifetime' exclusive.

Luckily they didn't completely sign over the brand - for them anyway. I couldn't give a toss about TF. Destiny all the way!

14. Lord Raine

Lord Raine Disappeared DLP Supporter

You'd think they would have said something about it then, instead of having everyone asking incessantly about what it would release on for a month and a half.

That's Microsoft and Apple-tier obfuscation, i.e. "we're not talking, and we're not doing it for any particular reason." That's not what EA needs to be doing right now.

It also doesn't bode well for the future.

Good think we know for a fact it's coming out on PC. Seriously fuck that noise.

15. Gengar

High Score:
    It was likely only pushed through by Microsoft because they have no upcoming exclusives next year - that i know of.

AFAIK, they only have halo 5 supposedly in q4. That's it. Sony has Infamous, the order, driveclub and a slew of Indy games (helldivers!).

Microsoft seriously needed TF to give them that draw factor.

With both these consoles out now and, by the looks of things, the ps4 outselling the xbone more than 2 to 1, i seriously doubt we'll see much of these third party exclusives again.

Unless Microsoft pay pubs enough to cover the loss of not porting to PS, which gets more expensive the longer we're in the gen.

16. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Quick question, other than been the guy who has a the new generation console, why would you buy a PS4/Xbone on release day? Whats the advantage to that especially considering there are no worthwhile games.

17. Gengar

High Score:
    That's a matter of opinion mate, and people seem to not count third party games in these questions for some reason.

Me? I bought my ps4 for resogun, nba 2k14 and ac4.

I also have sound shapes, flower, escape plan, trine 2, contrast, killzone and knack...

I don't remember a launch line-up that's been so robust since the vita, and that is very much the exception.

As for xbone, all the same third parties, dead rising, forza and ryze...

Xbox fitness is also really, really good. So good i might even buy one in a few years to have a cheap personal trainer.

If you look at all these games and still say 'meh', then that's on you, and you shouldn't buy either.

To make a sweeping statement that they have no worthwhile games though? Utter horseshit. Totally personal opinion.

18. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Honestly? I bought it on launch because I already had a preorder (which I could have cancelled at any time, keep in mind) and I knew the price wouldn't drop before inFamous comes out in March.

19. Amoral Philosopher

Amoral Philosopher Seventh Year

I personally bought the Xbox One at launch because the majority of my friends on xbox live did and I wanted to continue to be able to play with them online. Hell, the only reason I chose the Xbox One over the PS4 was because all the people I play online with chose the Xbox. Maybe someday down the line I will buy a PS4 for any exclusive solo player games.

20. Solomon

Solomon Heir