1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mass Effect 4

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Lyrium, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Lyrium

Lyrium Sent Back to India

2. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh boy.

Better not be a fucking sequel.

3. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I'm not sure if I should feel hopeful or just skip straight to despair.

4. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

I'm really underwhelmed by the news to be honest. I mean somehow it just doesn't feel like they're doing something new.

Ah well I just hope that they give us an option of playing a character thats not human and use that character to fully explore different alien cultures.

5. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    One thing that's sure that it will not be a sequel to the original trilogy and it will not feature Shepard.

6. Red Aviary

High Score:
    Well that's good, if that's really the case.

I've always thought a game set during the Krogan Rebellions or the Rachni Wars would be cool, especially if they could let you play as different races with different backgrounds. That time period would discount humans, but you'd get Asari, Salarians, Turians (for the Krogan Rebellions scenario anyway), Krogan (for the Rachni Wars) and Quarians. Hell they've already let us play as each of those in the ME3 multiplayer.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  7. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

It would be really interesting to see the Krogans in their glory days when they were a threat for an entire galaxy.

Plus we could play as different races each trying to establish themselves among the citadel council and stuff like that. Actually they could show us the formation of the council and all the politics that went with it.

8. TSN

TSN Auror

Or they could turn it into a sandbox MMO

9. Red Aviary

High Score:
    Yeah, because we really need another TOR.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  10. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I always thought a First-Contact War scenario would be cool, but I don't see how you could make an entire game out of that unless you retconned the conflict to be waaaaaaaaaay bigger than what it was.

I'll just go ahead and say that I'm glad they're done with Shepard. I'll miss him/her but, for better or worse, that tale is closed and it doesn't need to be opened again. I could seriously dig a Rachni War scenario, or maybe they could expand on the Protheans. Show us the Metacon war or something.

Something to do with Batarians would be fun too, but that's just because I like shooting those fuckers

11. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

While I know that Mass Effect 4 won't feature Shepard, what I'd like to see if s/he shows up again would be Shep in the "Psychological Profile" moments: the Thresher Maw on Akuze, the Skyllian Blitz, the slaughter on Torfan. The middle one in particular seems like it would be a really fun mini-game, be something along the lines of the Pinnacle Station DLC, but with story as well as combat.

12. Lyrium

I"m also wondering if they're going to make this a stand-alone or try to stretch out another trilogy.

13. TSN

TSN Auror

I'd play something a lot more like EveO than TOR.

14. Lord Raine

Lord Raine Disappeared DLP Supporter

Good. Good. You're learning.

Just like how our choices were totally going to matter in 3? And Halo 3 was totally the end of the Halo franchise and Chief's story? Because I can break out those articles and interviews if you want. I've saved all of them.

Devs lie. They break promises. They tell you what they think will happen, and then they do something else because of time constraints, budget, laziness, or because they think something else will sell.

They told us all about Bioshock Infinite a year before it came out. Columbia was essentially split between two powerful political factions, one conservative and one liberal, and Elizabeth, being the daughter of one of the old money heads of the factions, was the center of a massive power struggle and political web of intrigue that would, over the course of the game, erupt into all-out war in the streets. Booker wasn't an ex-Pinkerton, but a full-on one, and was hired by a mysterious benefactor to track Elizabeth down and protect her as part of a political plot. This would culminate in everything going completely to hell, with Booker and Elizabeth being caught in the crossfire as dogmatic political extremism causes Columbia to tear itself apart at the seams.

You'll notice something extremely important here. Namely, that has literally fuck-nothing-all to do with the Bioshock Infinite that we got. Literally the entire plot of the game was scrapped and rewritten over the course of the final few months leading up to the release, completely out of the blue, because Levine didn't like it, and instead they smashed together about four different plots from other proposed scenarios they had considered for the game, essentially making the Bioshock Infinite story a Frankenstein's monster of three and a half completely separate and unrelated games.

Ever wonder why the whole Religious Americana theme seems to completely vanish about a third of the way through the game, only to come up again at the very end? Ever wonder why it seemed as though there was going to be this huge parallel plot with Fink and Fink Industries, except you just hop-skipped away to another dimension and the whole thread was just kind of left hanging unresolved? Did it ever confuse you how the plot went from petty cruelties hidden in plain sight behind the workings of society, to the perils of revolutionaries, to the virtues and vices of religion, to suddenly having a theme of redemption?

This would be why. It's because the current story is about three and a half completely unrelated ones taken from storyboard builds of possible Bioshock Infinite plots, then smashed together in a vaguely coherent manner to create an emergency Plan C at the last minute. This is also why the ending was nonsensical and Neon Genesis Evangelion/10. They basically pulled it clear out their asses, because none of the existing endings they had come up with would have made any sense. Did you know in one of them, you had a choice to either finish the fight in Columbia, or try to leave with Elizabeth and just go to Paris? And that would have had an actual, severe effect on the ending?

Nope. Gone. Because Levine doesn't like the moral choice aspect of Bioshock that was in the first two games, and it wouldn't have made sense with the emergency story he slapped together over the weekend.

Developers lie. They make promises they can't keep. They are subject to the whim of what they think will sell, above and beyond anything like producing a product of artistic merit or storytelling acumen.

Master Chief's story was supposed to end in three. That was the promise. Finish the fight. Close the final chapter of the story. I can pull out pictures of the promotional material, and even the material in the Legendary Edition box and the game itself, that say this. And lo, this E3, we got to see him standing around in a huge-fucking cloak talking to a giant glowing bird machine thing, like some asshole Final Fantasy protagonist figuring out his necklace was the secret conduit for the Old Gods all along.

They say this won't involve Shepard in the slightest, and will be a completely new story that has absolutely nothing to do with anything from the previous Mass Effect games?

Yeah. That's cute. And I bet Timmy will grow up to be an astronaut firefighter.

Don't believe anything they tell you until the game is released and you hear it from normal, non-corporate-sponsored people who played it. I've got a whole pile of shit I can start throwing out to prove exactly why you should never pre-order, never listen to hype, and never, ever believe anything a developer says. I don't care if they have pictures. We had pictures of the original Columbia, too.

15. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

Is it bad that I knew Rayne wrote that without looking at the name/avatar?

16. Lord Raine

No, but it's pretty bad that you couldn't spell my name right. I don't wear nearly enough pleather for that.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  17. Lyrium

Lord Raine, it's funny how I agree with some of what you're saying but end up with a totally different perspective.

I like to build up hope, let it snowball into a fantasy of perfection. ME4 will be that game, the one that changes everything and is so good I actually replay it ten times in a row.

Then some time in the future, with my hopes building and building, I'll actually play the game.

There's something to be said about the pure thrill of a free fall.

The only way to know if a gaming thread is legit is when Lord Raine posts. That's when you know you're not playing in the little leagues anymore.

18. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

It just proves that I still hadn't checked your name while writing that post. ;) You have a special, and recognizable, brand of cynicism.

19. Lord Raine

Then you'll only ever be disappointed in everything, because there's never been any game that's lived up to the hype. I'm sure Destiny will be a pretty cool game, but it's not going to be some kind of next gen big budget indy bukkake in your face that will show the entire industry how it's done, which is what quite a few people are making it out to be. A lot of people will be disappointed because of that, because they've allowed themselves to believe in a fairy tale.

And you're just perpetuating the cycle of letting them get away with making crap games, so there's that as well. If we held developers to their word, Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3, Borderlands 2, and Bioshock Infinite wouldn't be as shitty as they are. Do you even know how much shit Bethesda cut out of Skyrim? I don't ever recommend any of Apollodown's mods, because they're buggy as all hell and he's a mediocre modder and programmer at best that believes himself to be far better than he actually is, but that being said, the (long-winded, rambling, unhinged) chronicles in the mod description of his attempt to reinstate the cut content from the Civil War questline is an instructive history in how developers can and will go "shit, just cut 90% of the content and slap something together with what we already have, they'll never know."

---------- Post automerged at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

I'm not cynical in the slightest. It's not my fault you never make threads about Sanctum 2 or Double Fine or Platinum Studios. It's always "Bethesda this" and "BioWare that" and "which console do you like best guys, because I don't think there's been enough people shitting themselves over this question on the internet yet."

The hell were you expecting? You aren't exactly making openings for a discussion about Vanquish or Brutal Legend.

20. Lyrium

1. What do you want us to do? Start rioting in the streets or throw games on the ground?

Lol, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ

2. Please do start threads about your favorite games especially RPGs as I'm dying for something good to play.