1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    HOnestly, I usually just cut and paste. Almost never have a problem from Word 07, except for an occasional space before/after an italicized word dropping out. Maybe save it .rtf. Haven't tried it myself though.

---------- Post automerged at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

There's an interesting twist. Since a wand has a type of personality, what would happen with a wand Horcrux that was being used?

2. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

It might actually turn out to be something not unlike the Elder Wand, perhaps a wand that made its user dependent upon it by offering up powerful, if particularly malicious or frightening, spells, changing and ensnaring the user with each successive incantation.

3. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

This reminds me of that scene in Forging the Sword where Harry, Ron and Hermione find the Diadem. The Horcrux within begins offering them knowledge when they put it on.

4. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Not really sure if this is the right place to post this question so let me know if it isn't. The question though is; Does any one know of fanfics that consist of Naruto characters reading Harry Potter specifically or other fandoms reading HP? I came across one on FF.net but I think it was deleted.
    Thanks

5. Andrela

I don't know things like that.

I'm also very happy that I don't know things like that.

Nobody should know things like that.

6. Andrela

Sorry for the doublepost, but enough time has passed and I have a question that I want answered.

We have a fire for making water (Aquagumenti) and fire (Incendio). I want to know if is reasonable to assume that there is a spell which creates electricity and/or lightning bolts.

I asked this before, but nobody seemed to know.

7. meev

meev Groundskeeper

The issue there is you have to work out the circumstances that would cause someone to bother making a spell for lightning. What would wizards need that for?

8. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Combat mostly. I got the feeling that wizards never used electricity for anything? Did they even know anything as basic as what caused lightning. As for earth I could see a herbologist using those kinds of spells.

9. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Not that it's canon, but you could use ecfundo fulmen (release lightning), possibly making a lame portmanteau like 'ecfulmendo'.

As to why someone would make it- it'd probably have a detrimental effect on electronics, so the purebloods might really enjoy such a spell. Probably developed by a muggleborn trying to make inroads into magical society, if that's how it came about. Also potentially good as a prank effect.

10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Depicting Incendio as the fire spell is a bit much:

- Incendio, which seems more like an ignition spell, causing the object it hits to ignite.
    - Bluebell flames, blue flames without heat or combustion.
    - Gubraithian fire, never-ending flame
    - Fiendfyre, extremely destructive cursed flames capable of destroying enchantments
    - Dumbledore's fire conjuration - the fire whip in OotP, the firestorm to kill the Inferi in HBP.
    - Confringo - blasting curse that makes things explode with both heat and kinetic force

There seems to be very little relation between Harry Potter magic and the classical four elements. There are spells that use them, but these are just spells like any other, not special "elemental magic". At most they have a symbolic role in HP - for example in the House system.

So, if you want to consider "lightning" an element - it's not one of the traditional ones - I imagine it will just be like fire. There will be spells that involve it in various ways, but no definitive "lighting spell". If we did want to identify such things, Dumbledore's conjuration of fire seems to be the closest thing to a general fire spell. I suspect it's a rather advanced form of transfiguration.

11. meev

meev Groundskeeper

How would it be remotely helpful in combat? Is this that thing where people think spells travel really slowly and they're blocked or shielded against after they're cast rather than while they're being cast again?

There are spells that act upon the target instantly upon being cast, but we rarely see them in combat in the books. Speed of the effect upon casting is not why spells are cast in duels. Lightning in that case would just be pointlessly destructive for no real gain.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  12. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

My first thought when using a lightning spell was watching storm from the xmen. Besides lightning burns really bad and no I don't think it would be a slow spell.

13. meev

meev Groundskeeper

You seem to have missed the entire point of that paragraph. Actually scrap that, the entire point of that post.

14. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    To be fair, meev, it's a fairly DLP-specific idea you referenced without explanation.

Pete91888: most fanfiction depicts incantations as a kind of announcement for a spell, the spell occurring (e.g. leaving the wand) after the incantation is finished. In the books and movies, however, most spells seem to form and leave the wand during the incantation, and the end of the incantation marks the time when the spell hits the target, not when it leaves the wand. Dodging, blocking, or shielding, therefore, occurs during the opponent's incantation, not after - meaning duels are pretty fast paced afairs.

15. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I'm sorry I missed the finer points of previous posts. I was looking at this from the canon universe. And I was under the impression from seeing Dumbledore, Voldemort, and even Snape. That spells traveled from the magical possessors to the wand and towards the opponent only as fast as they could visualize and cast spells. And that announcing a spell was the sign of an amateur. With notable exceptions like the killing curse.

16. meev

meev Groundskeeper

That stuff doesn't actually matter for the discussion, I was just mentioning it because I figured that's where you got the idea lightning would be remotely useful. Like I said, there are spells that act instantly upon the target. We know these still work just fine on wizards because of Levicorpus (and I think we see people banished or summoned at some point too). These are never used in duels between adult wizards. So speed of effect upon casting is not why spells are cast. It's a non factor.

It's the effect that would actually result if they were hit that matters, or their ability to stop a wizard from just blocking or shielding against it somehow, in which case a stunner is just as effective as lightning (as lightning has nothing that would make it particularly hard to shield against), but less pointlessly destructive.

Also the Killing Curse can be cast nonverbally just fine.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  17. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm pretty sure high Speed of Effect spells aren't used in combat because Rowling wouldn't know consistency if it clubbed her over head at 8 am every morning, not because every spell is practically instantaneous. That would make ambush even more overpowered than with muggle weaponry.

18. Andrela

Holy shit guys, I left for a moment and look at what my questions have caused. Awesome.

Anyway, the reason I asked about electricity is because I demand to have an access to a sufficient amount of volts from a wand wherever I go.

19. meev

meev Groundskeeper

I love how you act like it's all illogical and doesn't work based upon stuff that totally works just fine. Spells in the movies are practically instantaneous once cast, and in the books there's every indication they are too. They're really fast. Nobody dodges spells, they block them somehow or they miss. At one point Harry fires a spell and it bounces around and blows up half a room before he's able to take another action. It's only in fanfiction that this isn't the case.

Ambushes are incredibly effective. We see them in DH and they work just fine. There's a reason Voldemort doesn't just walk down the street like he owns it even after Dumbledore's death, and also why his terrorism tactics are so frightening. Because they're effective. They work.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  20. mandanlullu

mandanlullu First Year

What about spells like 'wingardium leviosa'? They seem to be instantaneous if I remember correctly.

Not open for further replies.