1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DayZ Standalone Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Sn0rkack, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

Anyone out there playing this as well? Buggy as hell and currently being DDOS'd (I believe) but it can be fun as shit at times. Never played the mod so I'm pretty new as it goes. Looking for more people to play with.

2. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm going to probably pick it up when it hits Beta phase. I'm definitely watching this though as it's probably going to be amazing.

3. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Did they fix the absolute horseshit UI? I tried Arma 2 a few times, and the inventory and control systems was just so shit I couldnt have been bothered to finish the mod download.

4. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Yeah, that's one of the biggest things they fixed. I just picked it up a few hours ago and it's a lot of fun. It still feels like Arma 2, graphically and your character handles like Arma 2.

But there are more buildings to explore, inventory is MUCH easier to do. There are probably tons of changes I am not aware of.

However, it is still in alpha (version 0.31), so there will be many many bugs and a lack of features.

I just got an axe and I'm laughing now, killed a few Zombies without taking a hit and im free to explore. One guy who was unarmed ran away from me saying "don't kill me". It was hilarious.

5. Böhser Onkel

Böhser Onkel Second Year DLP Supporter

To me it's fun even though it's an Alpha.

Right now there are to few Zombies for my taste, also I think only three weapons. One of them a Pistol, aside from that a Mosin Nagant and a M4. I think the Magnum that was implemented in the latest patch doesn't spawn or something like that.
    On another note some items seem to be useless because the mechanics to use them (or items to combine them with) aren't implemented yet. The respawn is also flawed and there is nothing implemented against Combatlogging.

Dispite all of this I have much fun with this game and it is much more than I expected from this alpha

6. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Are you kidding? The only thing I can find is magnums. Me and my buddy found 6 today, I'd logged around 13 hours before I finally found a gun that wasn't a magnum.

...Did not find a single bullet for the magnums though.

Anyway right before we logged off we found a couple non-magnum pistols and 3 M4s.

I can't tell you how rewarding it felt to log off tonight with full backpacks and guns with ammo. Especially after multiple life-ending incidents involving falls from high places and hostile assholes.

I also got lost. So lost that I have to illustrate how fucking dumb I am with a MSpaint recreation. My friend and I were on our first journey to the airfield. After a break, we resumed our journey at Gvozdno. As we explored the castle my friend, our assigned navigator, decided to get himself killed by plummeting off the castle walls. As you do.

"Go ahead to the airfield, we were almost there." He says. I check the map, realize I'm really not too far off, and set off to the airfield. It did not go as planned.

The red line is a creative recreation of the path I took. It took hours for me to escape the woods. Hours of enduring ridicule over skype. The other lines are accurate.

Great game. 10/10.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  7. andy50

andy50 Groundskeeper

I keep starving to death, i have no idea what i'm doing. Found a m4 and some bullets once then when i loggged back in i was under a house >_>

8. Skykes

I'm certain there are more weapons in the game. I saw a guy today with some kind of light machine gun, which had a scope. Other than I have personally seen the FN pistol and the rifle.

9. Böhser Onkel

Böhser Onkel Second Year DLP Supporter

Sorry, I might have got that wrong it was just something I had in the back of my head...

Weapon attachments are found and then fitted to certain weapons. Is it possible that there is a drum magazine(right wording?) for an M4? If not I might have overlooked a weapon.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  10. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

If you're finding M4s and ammo you're probably near somewhere military or maybe even a school. To find food your best bet is houses in any of the towns, try checking the houses with the doors still closed (meaning you're probably the first one there on that server; if a door is open and you're really desperate, don't even bother). If thirst is also a problem some towns have wells which you can use to drink / fill up your own canteens, so keep a lookout for canteens and water bottles (they're reusable).

11. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Can't stand it.

I get the appeal, and can understand why a lot of people are into it. But there are just too many factors at work in DayZ that make me think twice every time I contemplate logging on.

Zombies don't really matter, they are at most an annoyance. Player encounters are the very core of DayZ. What's going to happen? Is he going to shoot you? Should you shoot him? The Tension!

But it takes gear to get to the point where you can go out and stalk/hunt players. Getting that gear takes time. That time is monotonous and just downright shitty.

Let's face it, this is a fairly accurate description of an average gameplay session of DayZ.

GG.

Sorry, but no. I'm not going to spend hours not having fun (AKA, running from house to house looking for items) just so I can maybe have fun in the future (Player Encounters) when I could have been having fun all along playing another game.

DayZ got a massive boost in popularity due to Youtube and Twitch, but the truth is that most of it is pure hype. When it was an ARMA mod, it was clunky, had an atrocious UI, was riddled with bugs/hacks, and had a ridiculous learning curve. It was expected that Dean would fix most of that by the time Standalone rolled out. Standalone is exactly the same (Only with a slightly better UI thanks to ARMA III)

tldr;

Popular =/= Fun

I'd rather play something fun than something popular.

12. Skykes

To be fair it is still early early alpha. And I do agree with you on a lot of your points but a lot of those things are being worked on.

Future updates will have a shit ton more zombies, including roaming hoards. More loot in number and variety(which will come with the increased risk of zombies).

Less buggy, annoying shit. Zombies clipping through walls, random rubberbanding-sometimes to death, character being reset et al.

I played 7 hours so far and I am a little bored of it now, I'v gotten a ton of great shit and once I get some more ammo all I want to do is go out and be a bandit.

13. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Oh no need to be sorry haha, just terrible luck on spawns. I just thought it was funny because of how many I've found. It's not an unlikely assumption either, considering all the other things that aren't in the game yet.

14. Calz

Calz Oh, I Got the Mic Now!

I haven't played it, but I found these interesting.

http://games.on.net/2012/07/stockholm-syndrome-how-six-men-kidnapped-me-in-dayz/

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/...r-wasteland-brings-hope-to-day-zs-grim-world/

Don't remember how I ended up finding them, but it made the game seem interesting. Granted, I wouldn't play it, but if the community can become something more living and thriving than 'gear up > live > grief-kill n00bz > get sniped > bitch about it > rinse/repeat' then mayhaps down the line it'd seem interesting. Least it'll let people play out their zombie-apocalypse fantasies and see how well that goes for them.

15. Skykes

Is anybody else still playing / following this?