1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

I think Liam Neeson is a great actor, but the problem is he's far too young to play the role. A shame the old Dumbledore and Ser Ian hated each other, otherwise he would have done an excellent job.

2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    How about Richard Armitage for Sirius?

3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Johnny Depp for Sirius, though I think Gary Oldman pulled off the haunted Azkaban escapee character quite well. Remus was all right too, since I kind of expect living with lycanthropy would prematurely age you. He played the wise teacher with a mischievous streak fairly well too.

Dumbledore... Tom Baker. Give him a beard and I think he'd have been perfect.

4. ScottPress

High Score:
    Sorry, I just can't see him in that role.

5. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    He's a well rounded actor, handsome, does the insane-but-fun-loving thing as well as the slightly psychotic angle really fucking well.

Maybe it's because I built up my mental picture of him from his early Tim Burton roles, but he really fits the image I have of Sirius in my head because of it.

6. ScottPress

High Score:
    I agree that he is a very good actor. It's just that when I think Johnny Depp I see a pirate with dreadlocks. And not to be racist or anything, but he looks too much Native American to play Sirius in my opinion.

EDIT: when, in fact, there's no evidence of him having NA ancestry, as far as I know. He just looks that way.

7. Georgesickle

Georgesickle Banned DLP Supporter

Natalia Tena is more believable as Tonks in About a Boy than she was in Harry Potter. Probably because I always imagined Tonks with shorter hair than she has in the film.

8. ScottPress

High Score:
    I approve of this ^

9. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

To be honest I always felt that getting Fleur 'right' would probably take performance capture and some funky VFX. It's one of those situations where the slightly not quite right look of performance capture humans might work out well. Take an actress with classically beautiful features then go over it removing all blemishes and perhaps do some other stuff.

Supernormal stimuli, that's the ticket. Make her eyes just slightly larger and brighter than in real life, without looking out of place. Try and make her face perfectly symmetrical. That combined with the subtle wrongness caused by the VFX would make her look otherworldly.

I imagine Fleur as creating some kind of field that makes physics stop working like in the real world and instead looks like someone out of an advert. Floaty hair, perfect grace, flawless skin, almost glowing eyes, all that stuff.

Also. Johnny Depp as Sirius? No. He's a good enough actor, certainly, but since the whole Captain Jack thing he seems to ruin movies by being in them because he has to have extra screen time to be wierd and bonkers.

10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eh, I think you're getting a bit caught up in the fanon idea of Fleur.

1. She's not a Veela, her grandmother is. There's no indication that she has any of the powers of Veela. She's just really really beautiful.

2. In canon, the Veela's ability to make men lose rationality is something that happens when they dance. It's not some kind of "aura" they constantly emit.

Yes, there was that scene of those guys making ridiculous boasts to impress a pair of Veela. But I dare you to take any teenage male, put him in a room with a woman more beautiful than the most beautiful woman on Earth, and not see the same. The power of extreme beauty is more than enough to befuddle.

11. D-Sloopo

D-Sloopo Second Year

I don't know man. The wiki says she's a quarter veela and has the attraction ability. If you can't trust the wiki then who can you trust?

12. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I assume that's sarcasm.

13. D-Sloopo

D-Sloopo Second Year

Maybe just a little bit. :y

14. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

He actually is of NA descent, I think.

15. ScottPress

High Score:
    Well, there you go. Even if he wasn't though, I'd still stand by my decision. I can't see him as Sirius.

16. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

I'm not saying she's Aphrodite incarnate or anything, I'm just saying that finding the modern day Helen of Troy to play her in a movie is unrealistic. It has to be faked.

Especially when you consider that most beautiful people in movies are already touched up, you're going to have to take it really overboard to drive home the difference.

17. pidl

pidl Groundskeeper

But there's only so much you can do before the fakeness starts to show and it becomes nightmare fuel.

18. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Random Dumbledore casting idea I had: Ken Stott, probably best known as Balin in The Hobbit.

[​IMG]

They'd have to do some Middle-Earth style work for his height, since he's not tall even when he's not playing a dwarf, but Balin shows he can do twinkly and beardy, and anyone who's seen him in Rebus or Messiah knows that he can pull off the requisite steel.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  19. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Christher Fucking Lee. Well, if he was Dumbledore there would be no Voldemort, and no not-killing nonsense but it would reach new heights of epic.

20. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

He would make a good Voldemort.

If we can use time travel, a young Kevin Costner or Sam Neil would make a good Remus.

Not open for further replies.