1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a long lost story

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by lahorimoonda, Jan 30, 2014.

1. lahorimoonda

lahorimoonda Muggle

Main Characters: Snape and OC (named Melissa Von Helmen)

Site: fanfiction.net

Plot Summary: Snape is a world renowned potion brewer in addition to being potion master in Hogwarts. A 5000 year old order (I forget the name) with its own mysterious agendas is waking up and noticing the conflict between Voldemort and magical Britain. Melissa is a wealthy European aristocrat who works for the order and has invented a method of capturing magic within soul gems. The order plots to pair her with Snape so they can research on capturing the magic of potions within soul gems. Of course they end up having lots of sex! The story is set in the fourth year and follows Snape's travails as he navigates a complex web of deceit in his double-agent life. He is portrayed as rather polished and refined, with Melissa complimenting him with her beautiful grace and magical prowess. The storyline is a carefully constructed mixture of the newly introduced order's machinations, Dumbledore's crafty plans, magical research , and the personal lives of Snape and Melissa. Harry makes appearances, but is largely treated as a minor character. Also, Moody is actively involved as a stalwart of light.

How I lost it: The author posted a note saying he will remove it shortly. That should have sent alarm bells ringing through my head, but instead of saving all 43 chapters, I thought I will go through them all first. I had just finished the 19th chapter, and as I clicked the link for the chapter, the browser took forever to load the page and per chance my fingers slipped and hit the 'Delete' button. Obviously this had nothing to do with the fact that the author had chosen that exact time to pull if off the site :( To this day I am amazed at the set of coincidences that took place that night.

When I lost it: Some time between 2002 and 2004 - so yeah, it's been a while. You guys will have to dig into old memories.

The reason I am posting is maybe somebody on here has read it so we can share some notes, or knows some other site where the author has posted it. Unfortunately, I have forgotten many of the finer details, along with the title of the story.

Many thanks in advance for your kind help.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  2. bbodysplash

bbodysplash Third Year

I don't see why you'd want to read this...

Hal
  3. Hal

Hal Professor

That oc's first name certainly doesn't match her german last name.

4. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Any fic where Snape has sex violates Potter Law. I'd advice you to look elsewhere. :p

5. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Any fic where Snape is considered as attractive by the female gender, just attractive enough, thus giving even the slightest of probabilities for sex or god forbid procreation, violates all sorts of laws, and not merely those that govern fanfiction.

6. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ok, wow.

I don't think you're going to have any luck with this. I'd suggest trying HP fansites with tastes more in line with the fic you've described, or googling a key phrase you remember from the story.

7. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Tried doing a search on a couple variations, couldn't find it for you. Only fics that are plausible are in another language, so if its not English it could be on of those.

Now I need mind bleach.

8. Nerox

Nerox High Inquisitor

'Melissa' can be a German first name...

9. Burt

Burt Fourth Year

I actually remember reading this story, or at least one very much like it, a long-ass time ago. Unfortunately I have no idea what the name of it or the author was, or really any information. So... let us know if you find it?

10. Hal

Hal Professor

If the girl is actually German nobility and not an immigrant then her name should be spelled Melis. It makes little sense for a German family to use the english spelling of a name.

11. Nerox

Nerox High Inquisitor

You know that the English royal family is related to the former German royalty through Queen Victoria, right? So it should not be uncommon for that name to exist.

12. Hal

Hal Professor

Your entire argument is based on the off chance an english noble family surname change was made apart of this OC's backround. Occams's razor, anyone?

13. lahorimoonda

lahorimoonda Muggle

Many thanks for all the responses guys. The reason I posted here is because I came across the 'story search' section per chance. I've never seen anything quite like it. If somebody can provide suggestions for alternate sites where I could post this, that would be extremely helpful.

I really don't hope to actually come across the story, since the author did post a deletion message before removing it. I am just hoping the author will read my message and will reply - that's the only way I can think of.

---------- Post automerged at 04:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 AM ----------

The story title was a single word. Here are some things I remember:

Snape attends a death eater 'socialization event' organized by Malfoy. It is described in rather gristly and macabre detail, since the main 'entertainment' for the night is beautiful muggle ladies under the imperius curse.

In one of the chapters, Dumbledore gets unwittingly involved in the new order's plans and sets off red sparks into the air as a show of friendship and merry making - the sparks are actually meant to be signals.

Melissa's superior is a shady guy named Anamalech.

Melissa has, in the past, captured dementors within soul gems.

14. Nerox

Nerox High Inquisitor

And a minor German royal family with English ancestors or relations couldn't name their daughter after, say her English great grandmother?

15. Hal

Hal Professor

Occam's razor.

16. Tinder

Tinder Seventh Year

You keep saying that, but you haven't been using it.

Plenty of people in European countries these days have non-traditional first names. Not all German girls have to be called Helga; maybe her parents just fucking liked the name Melissa.

17. Hal

Hal Professor

My argument is that the author put little research into the OC they made like many people before them. If I had a dollar for every time an author used an english name in a manga fanfic I could buy my whole family McDonalds.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  18. Nerox

Nerox High Inquisitor

You should probably use a better metaphor.

By the way, 'Melissa' is derived from the Greek language and mythology. So logically, the name spread to 'Germany' earlier than to the British Isles.

19. Tinder

Tinder Seventh Year

I really wanted to leave this one alone, but I just can't help myself.

Greek culture and language was spread to northern Europe first by the Romans, and then later by post-imperial Christians. Most of Britain (modern day England and Wales, plus a bit of Scotland) was part of the Roman Empire, whereas only a relatively small part of modern-day Germany was.

In fact, even following the collapse of the Empire and the invasion of Britain by pagan Germanic tribes, the new inhabitants of what became England converted to Christianity before the Germans did - Christianity was then spread back to Germany by Anglo-Saxon missionaries.

So anyway, the exact opposite of what you just said is true.

Hal
  20. Nerox

Nerox High Inquisitor

Well, admittedly a bit of research might have spared me that one. I am from Bavaria, and it was indeed occupied by the Romans relatively early on (not quite sure if it was before Caesar's first campaign against Britain or after). Still, I concede the point to you.

But it doesn't change the fact that the name combination is still quite probable. Especially with the close ties between English and German nobility.

Also, Occam's razor: please.