1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

J.K. Rowling regrets Ron and Hermione’s relationship

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Georgesickle, Feb 1, 2014.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

If she has gained a new perspective on things after distancing herself, I can understand where she's coming from.

But...

Troll in the dungeons! Thought you ought to know.

2. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

Lol, this cracks me up because she said that people who shipped Harry/Hermione were delusional years ago, pissing off those shippers, now she's pissing off the Ron/Hermione fans. Just LOL.

For the record though....Hermione/Viktor and Harry/Luna FTW.

3. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I like Luna, and I like the pairing Harry/Luna in fanfiction. But never once when reading the books did it seem that Luna was anything more than a somewhat important minor character. Sort of like a Neville Longbottom.

4. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Her explanation for why she did it the way she did in the books, was Harry sought out a family, Hermione and Ron where his brother and sister. Ron and Hermione didn't have that need so developed a more intimate relationship. Also guys tend to look for girl like there mothers (If you go by Freudian physc) and Hermione is rather domineering... like Molly.

5. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I thought credible psychologists gave up on Freud long ago?

6. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

Not really. Freud didn't have any real credibility to begin with.

7. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Personally, ever since I was a young boy being read the books by my mom, I knew deep down it was always going to be Ron/Hermione. I just never liked Harry/Hermione all that much. I still don't quite know why, but there's my feelings on it.

Also, I would not be surprised if this was a Troll.

8. Sloth

Sloth Professor DLP Supporter

Yeah, that's pretty much how I saw it: Initial interest that kept growing until Luna was the person that could get Harry to overcome his inner demons and lash out a Patronus at the dementors during the Battle of Hogwarts.
    It never went anywhere, so I can only assume the in-cannon reason is that Harry somehow didn't notice his own evolving affections. Which, given who we're talking too, is depressingly possible.

(I choose to ignore Tonks/Lupin at every turn. A fic by nonjon had them as father-and-daughter, and that's pretty much what they'll always be in my head.)

Hi, counselor here.
    We didn't. His research on the stages is still considered a fair foundation, it's simply not as rigid and set in stone as he believes. His work on penis envy is another story.

I really need to figure out how to give thumbs up. XD

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  9. Rynonis

Rynonis Slug Club Member

In fact for most of his work they did. Now he is used more by sociologists and their ilk as well as interestingly enough in the field of philosophy.

10. jibrilmudo

jibrilmudo First Year

Making fun of H/H shippers as delusional while shipping H/V... isn't that a bit kettle calling the pot black? At least Ron could get her name right...

While I remain skeptical of the source, I wouldn't trust JKR to pair pants, much less characters in any case. Most of her post canon revelations always felt like stunts to remain relevant. Actually, so did the whole Galbraith thing.

11. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:

Well... H/V did actually happen in the book. So no, it isn't as delusional.

12. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

I didn't call them delusional. JKR did.

13. jibrilmudo

jibrilmudo First Year

Depends to what level you mean. If you mean the dance, yeah, if you mean the kiss, iirc that was a revelation 2 books later that felt tacked on retcon to have something to make Ron jealous.

Not that I'm really arguing for or against any pairings here, I try to mentally excise nearly all such moments of such canon from my mind since they all felt either ooc or plot contrived, main or tertiary characters.

Sorry, I tend to skip words. Mea culpa.

14. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

Meh. Now we suffer through a bunch of shitty authors attempting H/Hr. Honestly, it's not that big of a reveal.

15. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Laaame... I like Harry/Hermione even less than Harry/Ginny. Now the writers who write HG just because it's canon are going to switch over.

16. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

...I think it's a factor of how far I've drifted from the HP fandom in recent months that all this got from me was a weary sigh of resignation.

And while I never liked H/Hr to begin with (Harry/Tonks all the way!), I predict this new announcement making the remaining Harmonian shippers absolutely insufferable.

17. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Apparently I am the only person on this board hoping this isn't troll and thinks it would be awesome if true.

Also @DarkSyaoran: That's kind of funny, because I wasn't a big fan of Movie!Hermione. She wasn't how I pictured her at all. Emma Watson did a standout performance and is a beautiful woman, but she did not fit Hermione for me at all, and I was shipping H/Hr far before I saw any of the movies.

Eh, I figure what will happen from this is that H/Hr will see a surge of fics, but maybe only a couple will actually be readable, and some good ones would be a fucking miracle.

Still, I think the chance of this being pure troll is quite high.

Also, Goddamn I hate that term, Harmonian. Ugh.

18. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'll wait until the interview quotes are published in context before actually forming an opinion, but I'd just like to go ahead and make a general statement concerning this and all future potentially canon-breaking JKR factoids:

[​IMG]

19. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

If memory serves, it was a MuggleNet webmaster, Emerson Spartz, who said H/Hr shippers were delusional. JKR kind of chuckled at it, but made a (probably smart) CYA comment about H/Hr shippers still being valued readers, but it was kind of too little, too late, for the people who were offended.

It was basically the internet equivalent of throwing water on a grease fire... if the pan of burning grease was roughly the size of a regulation Olympic swimming pool, and you dumped ice water onto it from one of those smoke jumper helicopters (don't try it at home, kids, or you won't have a home, kids).

Emerson's own semi-back-peddle, that he meant the people who were certain it would be H/Hr in canon, not those who simply liked the idea of the couple, did just as little to cool the flame wars.

If this supposed quote were true (instead of troll), it would be pretty delicious payback for all the smug gloating the Hermione/Ron crowd did after that incident, though. I think that's what really caused the diehard H/Hr crowd to foam at the mouth: The relentless smugness. Back in the day, there seemed to be great joy taken in rubbing salt in the wounds, rather than an attitude of, "Well, we 'won' so let's just enjoy that fact in gracious silence."

As far as fandom blow-ups are concerned, the 'Delusional Incident' is pretty legendary.

Oddly enough, when you (I) do a Google search for "Delusional Incident" Potter, the top link is to one of my posts, here. :p

The thing both sets of shippers have been slow to realize is that they are the same... in that 99% of both groups are complete shit at writing fan fiction: And, that's the only valid measurement of a fandom 'ship, when you come right down to it. ;)

I kind of doubt this exchange happened, but if it did, it would almost certainly result in some quality entertainment, for those who enjoy schadenfreude and watching idiots fight. All it will take is offering an angry R/Hr shipper "relationship counseling" as mentioned in the supposed quote, and you can bet someone will be in the emergency room getting a trendy iPad removed from their forehead.

"I'm doctor Freud, the rock 'n' roll psychologist, and I do cocaaaaiiiine!"

20. capo327

capo327 Sixth Year

I remember being surprised it was even Emerson Spartz doing the interview since at the time he hadn't been active in the fandom for a while. It would have been much better to have one of the Mugglecast hosts do it. Better as in they would have done a better job, they "deserved" it more than some background web admin, it would have meant more to them, and JK Rowling liked Mugglecast supposedly.

Not open for further replies.