1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

J.K. Rowling regrets Ron and Hermione’s relationship

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Georgesickle, Feb 1, 2014.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Heard that before but never understood why. Isn't that more-or-less what Dumbledore said? Or is because of who's saying it?

2. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

Molly is J.K.Rowling's self-insert and as such has the power of God to get what she wants. :nyan:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  3. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Nonsense. Hermione's the Self-Insert, and she wrote Ron/Hermione while she was in a Redhead phase she now regrets.

4. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Dumbledore knows Harry won't be able to live with himself until he's had his revenge.

Ginny thinks Harry is some kind of adrenaline junkie who likes to live on the edge by testing his skills against the greatest Dark wizard anyone living has ever seen.

5. 0jordinio0

0jordinio0 Seventh Year

....Now now guys. We all know that JKR really ships Harry/Daphne. The few times she appeared in the books there was tons more chemistry between Harry and her than there ever was between Harry and Ginny or Hermione. Haphne all the way, cuz it totally sounds like a drug and JkR's romance writing skills read off as if she was stoned out of her nut.

6. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  7. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

The "I know you won't be happy unless you're fighting him" thing is so overblown. Yes it's a gaffe, but Ginny just chose the wrong word. I do it sometimes, my close friends slip up when they talk to me too. I even like it since it's kind of realistic.

8. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Agree with most of what you said here.

Ron pretty much has no respect for any aspect of Hermione - he's bigoted towards muggles and he looks down on her drive for learning. They make a terrible pair - at least, from Hermione's side. I could see Ron being happy with it and I could even see her going along with it due to some fear of causing issues with their group.

As for Harry, one way you could explain his interest in Ginny is more his infatuation with the Weasley family. He always regards them as the family he wished he had and Ginny is his way into making that official. He wouldn't be thinking that consciously of course, but would be a good explanation for why he goes after her.

Perhaps if he was put into Slytherin, he wouldn't be able to lean on Hermione to do all the groundwork for him and wouldn't have the Weasleys to make him feel like "all I want is to be normal with a loving family like you Ron!". So yeah, he'd probably have done better in Slytherin than Gryffindor.

As for pairings like D/Hr, I don't think anyone is doing it because they genuinely think it makes sense, but more because those sorts of pairings can be a bit more interesting than ones that seem too obvious/easy. There's a lot more potential for interesting drama. When I first got into fanfiction, I went through a phase where I was into those shippings, so I can understand it a bit.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  9. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Someone should write a fic where Harry ends up in Slytherin and doesn't become a manipulative badass, but a talented loner. Or maybe simply a hardworking one because he has nothing else to do after Draco make sure that even his own House ostracized him.

10. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

They did and it's from a DLPer, and he is paired with Fem! tom Riddle, and it's a glorious fic with the most awesome pairing in history. It's called Thunderstorm by T3t.

T3t
  11. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

If he's paired with Tomi then it's already not what I was talking about. :p

12. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

It's nearly seven years since DH came out. People change. JK's changed enough to change who she ships. Who here can say they haven't done the same?

And yeah, movie portrayals have changed people's feelings. The actors of the main three have turned into sexy beasts (search your feelings, you know it to be true) while Bonnie Wright, while not unattractive by conventional standards, isn't nearly in the same league. So the natural reaction is to ship the protagonist with the female main character and poor Ron's left in the cold.

All that said, I don't mind Hermione/Ron as much as I did back in the days of the Delusional Incident. I've made peace with Ron's fuck-ups - he's out of his element in a grim fantasy (as HP was towards the end) and if he was in a stoner comedy or a sitcom, or if he had a chance to grow up a bit, I think he could really shine as a genuinely likable and mostly loyal guy.

Besides, who cares about any of this? From what I've seen the Harry Potter that most of us enjoy reading about isn't the same Harry Potter that appears in Deathly Hallows and the epilogue, so his shipping can go hang for all I care.

13. jibrilmudo

jibrilmudo First Year

An author could have more than 1 SI or even spread it among several characters...

14. Lord Raine

Lord Raine Disappeared DLP Supporter

Cool, I guess. People still care about this?

I thought we'd already established that the epilogue was fever dream by Molly Weasley, and Harry was a bachelor doing consultant work for the Aurors?

15. Sloth

Sloth Professor DLP Supporter

Better yet, perhaps he was the new Bachelor on the Wizarding Wireless' The Bachelor, where he gets to choose 1 among 25 witches to be his wife after a string of doomed relationships.
    ...I'd watch/listen to that show.

16. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

I shipped H/Hr all the way - or at least as far as I got into DH. So this is redemption at last. :D Or not. :facepalm

P.S. @JKR Really? Why don't you start with that new book/movie project you spouted off about a few months ago and let fanon discussions be "resolved" by those actually involved?

17. Georgesickle

Georgesickle Banned DLP Supporter

Just saw this on tumblr. It doesn't seem to be much more detailed than the original article but it has a couple of extra quotes. Also the reastion on tumblrs cracking me up:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  18. someone010101

someone010101 High Inquisitor

Uh, they both said Harry woudn't be happy while a dark wizard he felt responsible for kept killing people. I don't think revenge fits Dumbledores MO.

While funny, I don't really care. H/G and Hr/R stays canon to me. (H/G might have been a good couple - offscreen. I was introduced to fanfiction by a good Harry/Ginny friendship, so I might be biased.) Pairings seem to be a matter of execution* anyway, except stuff like Hr/SS or H/LV, which is disgusting.

*And there's a good amount of cheap wishfullfillment there.

19. Sloth

Sloth Professor DLP Supporter

The level of attention this thing is getting is actually hilarious. Entire blogs are celebrating.
    ...And it's probably weird to say this when this is or started as a Potter forum, but it's a smidgen pathetic. I can't say it's TOO pathetic, 'cause I'm a Potter Kid too.

(The Shakespeare one went right over my head.)

20. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Uh, neither of them said that.

Dumbledore said Harry would be unable to rest until he had killed Voldemort, and that deep down it was his own desire to do so that would make him the Chosen One. He mentions the people who have already been taken from him, his parents, Sirius, and Cedric, and makes Harry realize that he wants to be the one to kill Voldemort. Hence . . . revenge. Dumbledore even goes so far as to tell Harry that he's the Chosen One not because he is somehow cosmically responsible for killing Riddle, but because he has a personal score to settle. Dumbledore knows that Harry wants it to end, and that he won't be happy until it's over, until he's finished it himself.

Ginny said Harry wouldn't be happy unless he were actually in the process of hunting and killing Voldemort, which is entirely different. Her words imply that she thinks he enjoys the fighting itself. She mentions nothing about an eventual demise, or a life after that. She doesn't say he won't be happy until Voldemort stops killing people, or anything of the sort. In fact, she says the opposite. By saying Harry won't be happy unless he's hunting Riddle, she implies that he doesn't really want it to end . . . because what really makes him happy is hunting the Dark Lord. So long as he's hunting or trying to kill him, his defeat would be irrelevant to Harry's happiness. She completely misunderstands him in that moment. Gaffe or not. She seems to think that shit is fun for him.

If you want to pretend they said the same thing by reducing their words to the point of absurdity, be my guest.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
Not open for further replies.