1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommendable Worm Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by NoxedSalvation, Nov 12, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

There were so many things in Silent irrevelant to the plot. The whole thing sounds like a big mashup of things the author liked. Mute Taylor, gay Danny, copying powers, etc etc. In the end it was all irrevelant.

2. Hello

Hello Professor

Considering it appeared to have been written over 4 days I didn't expect much reading it. And while it was better than I had thought it would be it still wasn't A material. But I can't fault the author for that, she seems to have just decided "oh this sounds cool" and wrote some 50k words on the rule of cool alone.

So in all, I have to say that Silent is much better than it has any right to be and I would recommend it to anyone looking to waste some time.

3. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

The annoying part about the Jacob thing is that there was a really obvious awesome direction for it to go ("Jack" can be a nickname for Jacob...), but instead it was just an utterly pointless scene.

4. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Jack Slash's real name is canonically Jacob, you don't need to try and be coy about it.

I haven't read Silence, and probably am never going to, but if there really was a Jacob running around, it's kinda disappointing to hear it wasn't Jack Slash in "disguise".

5. andy50

andy50 Groundskeeper

I don't really like the ending of absorbing the end brings, it kinda left an empty feeling in me.

6. chaosfire999

chaosfire999 Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I very possibly was Jack Slash in disguise and Cherish is still a good explanation for Danny suddenly being all over him. I just means the author deliberately cut that story thread short like all others, perhaps to try and show how outside of all of that Taylor is now. Like everyone has said, it doesn't really work.

7. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yeah, the Jack Slash plot thread was unexpected, cool, and unfortunately left unresolved by the author. Despite its flaws I really enjoyed Silent.

8. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

I disagree.

The notion that Jack Slash can show his face anywhere in public incognito is absurd. They probably renamed "America's Most Wanted" to "Where in America is Jack Slash" ages ago.

Also the Danny being gay thing was pretty damn stupid in my opinion.

9. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Or bisexual you bi-erasing faggot. [noparse]>:|[/noparse]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  10. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Danny falling in love with a man and Jacob's face not being recognised are both unusual, but certainly not inexplicable. Between the talents of Cherish, Bonesaw, and Jack himself, all of that is easily done.

He'd go to great lengths to recruit a new member and Silent could have been his greatest. The Endbringer fight beat him to the punch though.

11. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Seventh Year DLP Supporter

As has been said, it was nothing spectacular, but for what it was (and how quickly it updated) it was quite enjoyable. Are there problems? Very much so. But all in all it was a pretty decent time waster considering it was written in 4 days and tops out around 50 000 words. The fact that it's actually finished marks it apart from almost the entirety of Worm fanfic and this doesn't hurt either.

12. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

I liked the story, even or maybe especially its ending. It was bitter sweet and solved the whole "Taylor is a god" problem a bit better than even the original Worm did (Yeah I am not a big fan of getting shot and dumped on another earth (Even if this overs some great openings for a Crossover)). It is easy to start an OP Taylor story but very hard to finish it and that he did so is impressing in my opinion.

13. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

This would be a good name for a fanfic featuring Jack Slash as the main character.

14. bakkasama

bakkasama Seventh Year

One More Trigger, by Ack

http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/one-more-trigger-worm-au.284428/

Another fic that is barely starting (only 3 chapters in) so we still have to see if it turns out good. Emma triggers the night she meet Sophia, told her to fuck off for not helping and remained friends with Taylor.

The author is the same from Hope comes to Brocton Bay but I haven't read that one so I don't know if it is actually a recommendation.

15. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

Hope Comes to Brockton Bay is a story about how everyone loves Mary Sue, but I suppose the writing is at least technically proficient and the author updates regularly, so if OMT has actual characters and a plot it could be good.

16. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I think we should stop posting every goddamn Worm fic that spacebattles comes up with. They have negative quality control. Wait to see if a fic will be at all decent then put it up here

17. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

It's not bad, I will keep an eye on it. Thx for the rec.

Don't be ridiculous, most of the fics and snippets from the SB forums never make it into this thread. That's what DLP is for: Sieve most of the shit out and post what's good or at least readable.

What I would like is a list of the ten best worm fics recced in this thread edited into the OP, so that everyone new has instant access to the most interesting and entertaining stuff.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  18. Golgar

Golgar Second Year DLP Supporter

One More Trigger wants to use the word "fuck" constantly, but censors it. Twelve times in total counting every instance of "f**". It breaks immersion for me, and I think it is stupid. Either swear or don't. Everybody knows what you want to say anyway. This looks like the author wants to be edgy, but does not really dare to. Unless it is some sort of feature of Spacebattles, but it never stood out to me before.

19. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

It's not, I swear all the time over there. I'm pretty sure the author's either a) trying to be cute, or b) honestly feels that they should censor swearing.

Both of which are several different flavors of idiotic, but some people are just weird like that.

20. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That One More Trigger one has a nice concept with Emma getting powers and remaining friends with Taylor, but it feels shaky. They jumped around events for some reason and I can't really get into Emma. The point of divergence in her character feels weak. Her power's weird too. Electric hair manipulation? Worm powers are kind of weird as a rule, since the author seemed to go out of his way to avoid more traditional power-sets, but that's one I can't really take seriously.

Also I think they overstated the locker thing a bit, as some people in this thread were complaining before. Not that the incident itself is overstated, but referring to the crap they put in there as "toxic biological waste" or something along those lines seems a bit much.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
Not open for further replies.