1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

... aaand that was the end of crowd-sourcing for magical terminology, lol.

I also vow to somehow work that phrase into LST.

2. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Has anyone ever stopped to wonder what the 'Martin Miggs: The Mad Muggle' comics are like? The entire premise seems to be a comic that stars this crazy muggle doing crazy muggle things, in order to prove just how crazy all muggles are, leaving wizards amused and smugly secure in their superiority.

What do you suppose one would be like? I referred to it in another thread as "The Minstrel Show of wizarding comics."

Imagine one comic... A wizard is watching a muggle. Said muggle is built and dressed like a caveman, as they are probably seen as wearing less than a be-robed wizard and due to their reliance on brute strength to accomplish what can be done with a wave of the wand.

He has a hammer in hand and is waving it around dangerously - a black eye and swollen thumb indicators he's already run afoul of the primitive implement. Of course, he's waving the hammer because he's trying to use it like a magic wand; why? Because of course all muggles -if they knew of wizards- would, themselves, want to BE wizards.

The wizard asks the muggle what he's doing, and the troglodyte responds, "Duh... this is my wand. Gonna make me a house." We're only on panel two.

The next panel shows the muggle, wild-eyed, flailing about with the hammer, swinging at the wood and nails more than striking with any kind of measured precision, while the wizard elegantly raises his wand and describes a pattern in the air.

In the last panel, we see the wizard has effortlessly raised a Taj Mahal-like edifice from the trash in which the muggle was wallowing, while the muggle is currently on his back, under a two-by-four, having accidentally (though utterly predictably) buried the claw end of his hammer in his own forehead.

Heck, the wizard didn't even violate the Statute of Secrecy, since the muggle had rendered himself unconscious before the magic even happened.

There's your first taste of Martin Miggs. Funny... if you're a wizard who thinks muggles are moronic lower lifeforms, or even if you're an Arthur Weasley who, one gets the impression, bears muggles no ill will, but beneficently/benignly views them as harmless and interesting, in much the same way humans coo over an Otter 'using its hands,' while not seeing the inherent 'soft racism' in such a mindset.

Of course, this is a wizarding comic, so many of the drawings move: The wizards in the comics do so with fluidity, elegance, and (often) realism, while the muggles tend to be cartoonish or sketchy, as if unfinished, and move as jerkily as an early Harryhausen monster.

Hell, it may not even be a 'comic' as we know it. Each comic may be a single, full-page, picture that is entirely animated from start to finish, so there's no need for panels.

I also imagine the comics as being old. They're just as current as most wizards' ideas of the muggle world. Part of this would be because the comic was run in wizard newspapers for a few decades, many decades ago, and the publishers found that people seemed to prefer the old ones to the new ones. Thus, it was cheaper to simply reuse the old comics than get an artist to do new ones (the publishers owned the character rather than the original artist, because sad stories like those of Siegel & Shuster and, especially, Bill Finger aren't exclusive to muggles).

Rather than make new comics, they just run the old ones in the paper and sell books of the collected strips. I also imagine that the magic that animates it eventually fades, even with a carefully preserved copy, so there's always a market for a new copy of the re-used strips.

Any other takes on this, out there?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  3. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

I prefer not to think too much of the Benevolent Racism the Weasleys have with muggles.

BTW, did Rowling ever establish if an AK could destroy ordinary Horcruxes, or just ones in a living host?

4. afrojack

For the sake of good fiction, let's assume it only works on living hosts, as the "Killing" curse should. Anything else makes for shitty reading, with Harry managing to destroy horcruxes by flinging an AK.

5. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fiendfyre for horcruxes or GTFO, because fire makes everything better.

6. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

I'd imagine it might also be about more historical times. So we could have Martin Miggs as a witch hunter who is repeatedly outsmarted by wizards and witches he tries to capture.

I find it difficult to believe wizards would want to read about anything that wouldn't have wizards as the thing everything turns around. There's only so many people who find muggles on their own interesting enough.

7. Nocturnesthesia

Nocturnesthesia Fourth Year

Is it a kids' comic, or young adult? Do we know? I pictured it like a cross between Amelia Bedelia and Mr. Magoo, just a muggle who fucks everything up in the dumbest possible way. But if it was YA I'd think it was a little more Beavis and Butthead.

8. pidl

pidl Groundskeeper

Is there any indication that there is a different way of teaching Occlumency than the one Snape used?

9. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

No, there is not.

10. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    It's implied (which is part of the origin of the whole "mindrape" fanon thing) in that Harry appears to have taught himself Occlumency by the last book. It's doubtful that he found someone else to use Snape's method on him.

11. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I was under the impression that Harry learned exactly what Snape kept telling him. By the last book Harry learned to clear his mind of the thoughts that he did not want Volde to see. The difference is that Snape told him and then immediately cast the spell where as in book 7 it miraculously dawned on him " Oh if I'm not thinking these thoughts they can't be read."

12. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    On that note, don't think of the horcruxes.

13. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Telling someone not to think of something, makes them to immediately think about it.

"Don't think of an elephant!"

"You just lost The Game"

etc.

14. meev

meev Groundskeeper

Which is how occlumency is both exactly as simple as Snape was telling him and also incredibly difficult.

15. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

As I understand it, the key isn't clearing your mind, it's focusing on something so completely, everything else is protected by it. In Harry's case, his mind was guarded by a wall of grief for Dobby.

16. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

^that is fanon. Key is clearing your mind so other side can't use connection you associate with that image to go deeper.

17. afrojack

That isn't fanon. Harry actually says it's his grief for Dobby that allows him to resist Voldemort's thoughts in DH.

Snape was either an incredibly shitty teacher, or concerned only with making Harry suffer. Well, I guess that just makes him an incredibly shitty teacher too...just malicious as opposed to incompetent.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  18. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Indeed Snape was a crappy teacher and he made all his students suffer for it. However there is no doubt that he understood his crafts.

19. afrojack

Well, grief for Dobby definitely played a role. I don't think it was a 'wall,' but it definitely helped him stay out of Riddle's mind.

20. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

I have perhaps a silly question, but I was wondering if it was possible to wield two wands at the same time? I was wondering if it was possible for someone like Voldemort to be able to do such a thing with the right second wand.

Not open for further replies.