1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny Threa(t/d) IV

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Sep 1, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

This would pretty much be changing Hermione's character totally, which isn't really what reboots do. They change their background, but usually, their core personality stays the same.

Maybe Hermione discovered her magic earlier than canon, and made enough of a magical mess while experimenting that the Ministry had to step in and give her an intro to the wizarding world.

So instead of being totally new to the community, she's been there for some time. Being tutored and learning things on her own ect.

2. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

Reboot!Hermione can be exposed to the magical world earlier and will still be smart/intuitive. However, she will have a greater affiliation with Quidditch and athleticism than she did in canon. Moreover, she will be intellectual and obsessive but will be less inhibited by rules. Reboot!Ron, due to Reboot!Percy's influence, is the rule-stickler and be a little bit more academic than he was in canon, although his sense of humour will still remain.

3. Anya

Hermione was never really bound by the rules in canon. Just randomly made everyone aware that there were rules before going ahead and breaking them anyway.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  4. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I'm glad to be thought of that way, as it was my intention.

Now, onto the actual response:

I like this, very much so. I agree with Anya that introducing Hermione to the magical world earlier might be a good idea.

Also, regarding Luna. While we should avoid making her a total OC, we cannot ignore that being raised by her mother instead of her father is going to make a big change to her personality. Reboot!Luna would probably not invent new creatures on the spot, I'm guessing the Quibbler does not exist in this universe. If the Lovegoods still live close to the Weasleys, then perhaps Luna sees the older Ginny as a role model in some way? Young kids often try to imitate their older friends.

While it may seem a strange choice, consider giving Draco Malfoy siblings. Not being an only spoiled child would do wonders to his worldview. Perhaps change it that Pansy is a Malfoy instead of a Parkinson? She would of course be a blonde and a miniature Narcissa, but that's only an improvement over her pug-faced canon counterpart.

With Lily being alive, but incapacitated, we cannot ignore Snape's reaction. If he still made his request to the Dark Lord regarding her life, imagine what he is going to do if he finds out that, yes, Voldemort spared her life but made her a vegetable. Reactions might be unpredictable. He might hate Harry even more than in canon, he may abandon Dumbledore and the School. He might even try to break into St. Mungo's to try and end Lily's suffering, only to be caught and placed in Azkaban (Slughorn would replace him at school).

And what about Dumbledore in this universe? In the duel, Aberforth is killed instead of Ariana. Albus spends much of his life trying to find a cure for her chaotic magic and finally succeeds, revolutionizing magical treatment at St. Mungo's. However, he still is not able to cure Harry's mother and blames himself for not knowing everything.

5. Nerox

Nerox High Inquisitor

Perhaps the ownership of the Quibbler falling into the mothers' hands could have some impact on wizard society as a whole. She could try to turn the Quibbler around making it more competitive in the wizarding economy. Two serious newspapers reporting on incidents differently. The Daily Prophet could be the rainbow press and the Quibbler the serious newspaper.

That would have further impact on Luna's character as well. She would be influential, quite wealthy and feared/respected...

I think you could spin a lot of things around in that plot.

6. Zeitgeist

Reboot!Luna would definitely be less "batshit crazy"/"imperturbable hippie", since the books heavily imply that Xenophilius fostered those attitudes in Luna. However, Reboot!Luna will still be quirkier than most people; I really can't imagine any Luna without those token "Lunarisms", although in the Reboot universe, she will be quick to anger and actually display emotional scope. As in, Reboot!Luna will be an actual person, with real feelings, instead of an idealised pixie girl.

Regarding the Quibbler, it won't be the same in the Reboot universe. I never saw Mrs Lovegood as a journalist, so I imagine that although Reboot!Luna holds the shares, Mrs Lovegood would've hired somebody else to run the actual day-to-day management of the magazine. Maybe Amos Diggory, who in the Reboot universe can be a credible journalist. Plus this way, the Diggories actually have something to do in the plot

---------- Post automerged at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

Another reason why the Quibbler falling under Reboot!Amos could galvanise the story is Reboot!Cedric. This way, Reboot!Harry actually interacts with Reboot!Cedric, forming a genuine friendship that generates some actual pathos if Cedric dies. Because even if the Tournament doesn't happen, Cedric will die because that's the type of character he is.

Also, we never really got to witness Amos's reaction to the Prophet's libel on Harry in the aftermath of Cedric's death, so the direction that the Reboot!Quibbler, who was previously a competent newspaper staunchly in Harry's court, goes could be interesting and result in an actual subplot for Reboot!Luna, who may not agree with negative portrayals of Harry in the media.

7. Anya

Lily is alive, but her protection still stands, since she did sacrifice herself for Harry (if you have her like the Longbottoms) So that would mean that Harry would still need to live with a blood reletive.

This could be Lily. She could live at Godric's Hollow and have a carer. Harry would live with them. And maybe James' mum is still alive and also lives with them to take care of Harry.

Hmmmmmm.

Lily being alive and Harry not in isolation in the muggle world could also mean that Lupin being involved in Harry's childhood.

8. Zeitgeist

^^^

I was thinking that Harry could live at Godric's Hollow with a carer, because if the deed is still under Lily's name and she's alive, the blood protection will be extant. Of course, Reboot!Lily will mainly be like Alice Longbottom in canon and will need to spend significant periods of time at Saint Mungo's, under Mrs Lovegood's auspices.

The carer can be anybody, really. What's most important is that Harry would basically be growing up in the Wizarding World and essentially taking care of a sick parent, which is far from easy. He won't have the same issues that he had while he was living with the Dursleys, but this new background creates its own set of issues.

The carer could be James' grandmother, who is like Augusta and quite austere. Dorea Potter (née Black). Alternatively, Reboot!Remus could take care of him, but I see him more as an infrequent uncle, since the Ministry would never let a Werewolf be responsible for the BWL and a basically vegetative Lily Potter.

Maybe in this world, Reboot!Sirius was the Secret Keeper and betrayed the Potters, finally succumbing to his Black upraising. Why do you say that? Because this is a Reboot: we can change backstories. Plus if we're using Dorea as the caretaker, then the Black family will need a Reboot too.

9. Anya

Sounds very much like a AU I was writing years ago, called The Dogs of War.... or Your Possible Pasts...it was a Pink Floyd title.

Dorea Potter was James' mum though. Sirus was a Death Eater but still recced Peter, who was not a Death Eater, be the Secret Keeper so he wouldn't have to betray his friends.... more than he already had.

Consquence of that was Voldemort marking Neville, no fancy love magic, though Neville survives. But Voldemort was seriously injured so he takes a few years to recover.

James and Lily have a daughter, Jamie.

Eventually the war continues. Hogwarts shuts down for a few years until Dumbledore somehow convinces everyone to send their kids back, including Death Eaters, in an attemoted of future peace via their children.

I need to dig up my notes.

10. Zeitgeist

Another reason why giving Reboot!Harry a backstory where his mother is incapacitated but still alive is Artemis Fowl. If you read the first book of Artemis Fowl, you can see how one can write a story about a young boy who is trying so hard to help his ailing mother. Reboot!Harry would be quieter and less energetic, like canon Neville, but he will have a stalwart determination and great ambition to find a cure for his mother. His main motivation would be to find out the exact truth about what happened on Halloween, the night Voldemort tried to kill him, and how to cure Lily.

Later on, when Reboot!Harry discovers the truth about the Hallows in his first year, he will become more obsessed with avenging his father and ensuring that Voldemort is vanquished. Twelve years of living with an invalid has fuelled enough anger in Reboot!Harry to kick that hairless douchebag to the moon and back.

11. Andrela

Alright, enough sitting around. Time to do something again.

Harry lives every day twice. This happens since he defeated Voldemort as a baby.

Naturally, he at first does not notice, being a baby and all. However, as he grows, Harry eventually figures out that things are not as they should be. He at first assumes that everyone has always an extra day and is surprised that this isn't the case.

Of course, being a kid, he uses this to his advantage. He always gets perfect marks at school, knowing the questions ahead of time. He knows if something 'funny' (accidental magic) will happen, so he avoids these situations.

However, think about what this means. Everyone lives each day once, Harry lives through them twice. This means that Harry will be, at least mentally, growing up twice as fast from the point of view of others. By 11, he is going to be 21 years old.

If you thought living for 10 years under Dursleys was bad, what about 20 years?

I cannot stress enough how important and massive this change is. Let me repeat: when Hagrid arrives with Harry's letter, Harry is already an adult, living as a child and not knowing about the magical world. Think of how Harry's Hogwarts years affected his personality growth in the series, now remove all that and replace with even more Dursley Years. You are going to have one bitter, cold and angry Harry Potter. He might even end up a manipulative bastard, playing with chances and people's lives, knowing that he always has one additional day to try things differently.

And what about the Trace? It could go either way, but it might be possible that Harry's trace will simply not work. We have evidence which shows that the Trace is only active after you get to Hogwarts, Harry had his 17th birthday when he was 9. The wizards might think that there is a Trace on Harry, when in reality there isn't.

Of course, there's also the Scarcrux to remember. While Voldemort himself is still weak, Harry is going to realize he can speak with snakes and he is going to use this. He might develop an incredible level of control over his accidental magic, using legilimency and other tricks just like young Tom Riddle did. Dudley bullying Harry? Not in this scenario.

So, we have this changed Harry. He's 11/21 years old and his Hogwarts letter arrives. Two decades with his charming relatives taught him a thing or two, so he hides the letter and doesn't tell anyone about it. He reads through it and is surprised about the existence of the magical world.

He confronts Petunia about the letter, wanting to know if his parents were wizards. She lets it slip that yes, they were freaks. She then destroys the letter. Harry of course expected it to happen, so he gets the letter again on his Repeat of the Day.

By chance, he finds out that old Figg knows a thing or two about the magical world. She contacts Albus through the Floo and tells him that Harry is unable to travel to Diagon Alley and did not know about the magical world. Naturally, Dumbledore sends Hagrid.

The Dursleys of course protest when the half-giant arrives, but who cares about they think. So Hagird meets Harry and discovers a boy that is very different from what he expected. Nonetheless, they travel to Diagon Alley. As this is a different date than in canon, they do not meet Quirell or Malfoy. They do however meet other people. Harry interacts with them twice to find out which of them would be best to be friends with (Repeats are useful, eh?).

There is no way in the seven hells that Harry would end up a Gryffindor. With his overdeveloped manipulations, he is as Slytherin as Slytherins go.

So, Snake house. Malfoy, Snape and the entire charming group of not exactly best people. But, this Harry is not some scared kid, not knowing what to say. He is able to answer all of Snape's questions, knowing them ahead of time. He is never moved by Snape's insults, being too mature for that.

Things are going to be definitely different.

12. Zeitgeist

Continuation of the Reboot Plot-Bunny. The final book, if we're following Xandrel's Reverse Bunny into this Reboot, will be the Philosopher's Stone. Maybe the book will end with Harry finally getting his hands on the Stone, which he will use to cure Lily.

"Drink, Mother."

Uncomprehending, Lily Potter shook her head and tried to move away from Harry. However, resolution steeled in Harry, like tempered iron. He placed the cup full of the Elixir closer to Lily's lips. When Lily trembled, Harry tried to hush her and whispered reassurances as she started sipping the bubbling potion. Although an impassive stare covered Harry's expression, inside him hissed a coil of doubt. There were so many variables that one had to consider. After what had happened with alchemy and Voldemort's own attempts with it, Harry had reasons to be unconvinced. What if it doesn't work? What if Flamel was wrong -

A strained but familiar voice filled the room.

"Harry?"

Stunned, Harry jolted out of his reverie, wheeling around at the person who spoke. His hands were shaking, as he touched the Resurrection Stone in his palm for placation. The smooth pebble always calmed his nerves, even at the direst of times. However, when Harry's eyes met the green of his mother's, the Stone dropped to the floor. Forgotten. A plaintive breeze wafted through the hospital window, whistling through the lilac drapes.

For the first time in seventeen years, Harry saw recognition return to his mother's eyes. Eyes just like his own. She smiled at him and opened her arms, frail but welcoming. Before another moment, Harry wondered why his cheeks were wet. Uncertain, he approached her.

"Mother, I don't know-" Harry cleared his throat, which somehow felt as harsh as parchment paper. "Do you recognise me?"

Lily smiled at him, as she placed the goblet on the tabletop beside her bed. The rim of the cup glimmered, like a mirage, with the few drops of Elixir still lingering inside it.

"Why wouldn't I? You're my son."

A dam of emotion. A memory of halcyon days of swings and laughter dredged up inside Harry. For some reason, he noted that his legs were failing him. Involuntarily, he knelt before Lily. Why do I feel so tired? noted Harry absently. Maybe Granger is right and I am a workholic. And I've been waiting for this day for so long.

His mother grasped his hand, as though she knew what he was thinking.

"I missed you," said Harry, quietly.

"I know."

They spoke throughout the rest of the night, for there was much to be discussed. Dawn spiralled through the ward, like spun gossamer, when the pair continued to share faded stories of days and years. Their dinners, cold and wrapped in foil, lay untouched. Laughter warmed the room, as though brightness broke the pallid shroud. Harry's scar had hurt not even once throughout the evening. For the first time in seventeen years, all was well.

13. Anya

These are dated 2011, so forgive the badness of them.

I'm assuming here I was just trying to get a feel for Harry and Jamie.

I remember I was gonna have her be Snape's sort of sidekick, or student. She would be a spy. Sirius was a high level Ministry employee during Voldemort's reign, and he was very fond of her, so that helped her get an in.

Ron was gonna be some sort of insider too, following in Percy's footsteps. He and Harry had a close friendship, except they planned some sort of falling out- using Ron's previously established jealously and inferiority complex to strengthen the story. I can't remember much more, except Ron wasn't in the same department as Jamie.

I think I was planning a small side story, showcasing bits of Jamie's life and how people perceive her.

This I remember. Dumbledore and Remus show up at the Potters, who have been in hiding for around ~8 years, planning to convince then to let their children attend a recently reopened Hogwarts.

Harry and Jamie have never met Remus or Dumbledore before.

14. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

a) I think you ignore what huge part biology plays in growing mature so I don´t think that the impact of repeating everything would be that huge.

b) I think you overestimate how much Harry would profit from this effect... Such a power would mean that Harry doesn´t really have to do much to achieve things. He doesn't have to learn because he can cheat, he can spend every second day how he wants because it does not change anything etc. For example look at Contessa and her "Path to Victory" in Worm to see how such "superpowers" can affect the mental growth of people and how depended to grew on it.

c) Not sure how having that power would result in Harry learning all the cool things you see him learning. Where would come his motivation/knowledge to study those things come from

d) How would he use a single repeat to find out which people would be "useful" friends?

e) I also see no connection between having repeats and him knowing Figg... in the books he never found out there he had a few more years and the knowledge that other people like him(wizards) exist.

f) Most importantly... what is you goal, what do you want to show us? Simply having an overpowered, mature and of course manipulative Harry attend Hogwarts does not make a good story, in fact the opposite is much more likely.
    Plus you may think about skipping most of the early stuff and start the story in 3/4th year and explain the necessary stuff with flashbacks, that would make reading an mature ... Harry less jarring to read.

15. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

A lot similarities to Knowledge is Power by Fettucini. Lily is alive but comatose like the Longbottoms in canon. Remus raises Harry in the wizarding world, Harry is two years older then canon and it has a Harry/Fleur pairing. The driving force behind the story was Harry trying to find a cure for Lily, while also being an international quidditch star like Krum at a young age.

Still a decent read, and considering how old it is now it was pretty awesome back in the day. Long since abandoned, but a re-post can be found here.

16. Zeitgeist

I guess the primary differences is that this is a universe Reboot. Harry is still the BWL, he's not two years older or a Quidditch star, and no way would Remus be allowed to raise Harry. The only similarity is that Lily is alive and Harry's motivation. The similarities are there, but they seem more coincidental to me.

17. cheeseasaurus

cheeseasaurus Muggle

The only problem is unless you change the protections, Harry wouldn't be able to get the stone out of the mirror. Wouldn't that be terrible Harry sees himself using the stone to cure his mother, but since he plans on using it the mirror won't spit it out.

18. Andrela

If you go by the Reversed idea, then Dumbledore dies in Year 2, which means that the protections are obviously different.

19. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

Totally thought this too. I was going to make a snarky comment about how Harry should learn the guitar and play Hotel California to Lily..

20. Dr_Orpheus

Dr_Orpheus First Year

If he is that old, he should have figured out how to get the Dursleys in trouble for their treatment of him. It wouldn't require an actual arrest to get them to back down. Credible threats to splash mud on their pretty little reputations would do wonders for his living conditions.

Overcoming the indifference of the neighbors and teachers would be the hard part. Threatening their jobs and/or reputations might do the trick.

Not open for further replies.