1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

J.K. Rowling regrets Ron and Hermione’s relationship

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Georgesickle, Feb 1, 2014.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Sloth

Sloth Professor DLP Supporter

Not sure what was confusing about that, but let me know and I'll clarify.

2. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Why would JKR need to justify writing her epilogue? Seems like a strange thing to expect--she wrote what she wrote. Question pairings, hanging plot points, whatever, but expecting or wanting her to justify writing an epilogue is just... odd.

3. Caligula

Caligula First Year

She perhaps wrote an epilogue to stop EU stuff happening to her work after her death. Not every author likes other authors playing around with their sandbox and actually making money off it. Putting in an epilogue brings a lot of potential EU stories to a grinding stop.

4. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

IIRC, that's actually the reason she gave.

5. Sloth

Ironic considering she was apparently dissatisfied with her own ending then.

She doesn't need to justify it--what I meant is that she's often asked these questions on official interviews.
    She was asked the Hermione/Harry question that lead to this thread in one, so I wondered if other answers to some things that made me curious were also out there.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  6. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Does JKR not own the rights to Harry Potter? Why can't she just veto any potential EU stories?

7. Oz

That and she's always tacitly approved of fanfiction. I can't see that being the reason she wrote the epilogue.

8. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Hmm, if she's reconsidering this relationship, does that mean she's reconsidering Lily and James too? I mean, they did butt heads more than once during their years at Hogwarts. They only suddenly became a couple in the seventh year, and I can't remember exactly how that even came about.

9. Oz

10. Sloth

Thank you, sir, for taking back your wut.
    Also Lilly and James are a lot harder to believe, since Rowling claimed she stuck with R/Hr out of stubborn daydreams or however she worded it.
    Lilly and James have been eternal to the story and kinda give birth to the main character. I doubt she regreted them.
    ...But Snape did.
    [​IMG]

11. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Guess I might have been misunderstood. What I was trying to point out if Lily, had she and James lived, would have been happy in marriage to James?

I don't care one bit about Snape's abloobloo feelings, he's completely irrelevant and his own fate was made with his own choices. Yeah, James and the crowd possibly were cunts to him, more than regularly so to others due to his friendship with Lily, but no one really forced him to be a Death Eater. It wasn't just his calling Lily a 'mudblood' that ended the friendship.

It's just strange to me that after six years of positively loathing the guy, she just up and goes becomes his wife straight out of Hogwarts. How does that work? They all just wave it off with "Oh he grew up." Splendid, truly splendid. Why not say the same about Ron then? He grew up.

That's the bit that irritates me the most I suppose.

12. redshell

redshell Order Member

Just going to argue that the success of the Uncharted series begs to differ. Nathan Drake is, at heart, just an ordinary guy in extraordinary circumstances.

...The difference is, Nate is well-written, and not a teenager going through adolescence, or dealing with teenage shit. The reason why average!Harry is unlikable as a hero is because he's a kid. He does kid things, and basically doesn't have a clue what he's going to do.

Like a kid.

13. Oz

I would not classify Nathan Drake as "just an ordinary guy". He's an exceptionally talented acrobat, gunman and fighter.

14. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

Fuck that Canon Harry is best Harry.

15. afrojack

Doesn't that apply to Harry as well, to some extent? Excellent flyer, gifted fighter, detective's mind, etc.

16. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

What? Aren't you exaggerating a bit?

17. afrojack

lol, okay, you guys can keep shitting on Harry all you want. Sorry I said anything.

He worked his way through some mystery in each book. There. I don't know how much more non-complimentary I can make it. I meant to indicate the way he used deductive reasoning and intuition as a young man, which presumably led to success as an Auror.

18. pidl

pidl Groundskeeper

Especially now that Snape is dead so he might actually suspect the real culprit.

19. afrojack

Yeah, because the Dark Horse isn't a part of most mystery/detective novels . . . oh wait. Grown men get it wrong the same way all the time. And, oh yes, he was all of eleven.

Sounds like what you want to read about is a guy named Gary Stu. Harry Potter actually has flaws, and is wrong sometimes.

EDIT: Would you have even liked Voldemort if he couldn't slip past the investigation of an eleven year-old? Since he, you know, intended for Snape to draw suspicion exactly the way he did.

And if you ask many of the people on the forum, that reveal was easily one of the best parts of the book, if not the best. So, I don't know what point you're trying to make. Guess you're happy you stopped reading such trash after the first book right?

20. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

He's also a serial murderer, thief, vandal and destroyer of precious artifacts and historical sites, all done in pursuit of wealth.

Not open for further replies.