1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Tinder

Tinder Seventh Year

Well, ironically, if you want to get into football nuances, it kind of does.

Some of the best Northern Irish players choose to play for the Republic of Ireland instead of Northern Ireland, partly for political reasons but really mostly because being on a team that doesn't totally suck is more fun. Talent drain south is a big problem for the Northern Ireland team.

Not that that is in any way relevant.

2. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Also worth noting that in a lot of sports the North and South do actually share a team. Rugby and Cricket for example.

3. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Haha. Note to self, stay the fuck away from football (EU) in discussions. I figured that the situation that Bill stated would be the situation for all sports, which I guess doesn't make sense but I figured they both still identify as Ireland. Not sure how relevant it is to the overall discussion, but still interesting.

4. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

I suppose he technically doesn't, but to be fair he hardly had that much chance to practice. Unlike Fred and George, for example, he didn't take those extra classes or get a licence to do it. And in those two instances, side-along was involved, which is described as a lot harder than just doing it on your own.

Also, judging by how it is perfectly possible to lose limbs if you screw up, I'll say it actually can be kind of hard, especially for distances bigger than inside a single house. Remember, Hermione accidentally spliced Ron, and Ron himself lost fingernails when he did it. In all honesty, I wouldn't be sure if I could trust myself to Apparate anywhere.

5. Tinder

Tinder Seventh Year

Eh, I kind of see apparation as analogous to driving. If you mess up, you can kill or injure yourself and others, but any idiot can learn, and most people do.

Is it canon that it gets any more difficult over greater distances? I don't remember anything like that.

6. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

The points raised by me and Aekiel still stand. Evidence from canon, both from GoF and Quidditch Through The Ages, heavily suggests that Magical Ireland is an independent nation that is autonomous. It's like how we know a Magical France probably exists: if it barks like a dog, it probably is a dog.

7. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

Yes. In Chapter 23 of Deathly Hallows Voldemort was flying to Malfoy Manor to get close enough to Apparate.

Although it's not considered canon by all, Quidditch Through the Ages also says it becomes more difficult as the distance increases.

8. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Why do they need a license for Apparition? I don't think the Ministry can track it.

9. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Nothing in canon supports that iirc, but if they can track people by who say Voldemorts name with a taboo then tracking wizards by Apparition wouldn't be that much of a stretch.

10. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Could also be something quirky or incomplete, like they can tell someone Apparated, but not to or from where. Maybe they know where you left from, but not your destination. Maybe they only know a wizard or witch Apparated, and not exactly who. Could be as flexible as you need it to be, essentially.

11. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

If one was to write a fic in which the Triwizard Tournament happens during Harry's first year at Hogwarts, what would be the better choice:

- Make Fleur and Krum older and have them still be Champions.
    - Introduce just two OCs.

12. 0jordinio0

0jordinio0 Seventh Year

Remove the age restriction.

13. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

If they aren't going to have a major part in the story, then just go OCs. No point changing characters histories around if your not going to use them, that would just be pointless.

If they are going to have a major part, depending on the authors skill I'd probably go with Fleur and Krum. OCs are the way to go but they are harder for the reader to get interested in, and are generally disliked from the start until the author can flesh them out.

14. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I also thought about making Tonks one year younger and be the Hogwarts Champion instead of Cedric.

15. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

How about something completly different? Have Tonks be the same age as Harry or younger, and have the Tri-Wizard Tournament happen during Harrys 7th year. Fleur would be picked as Beauxbattons Champion, Krum as Durmstrangs, and Nymphadroa Tonks as Hogwarts Champion. And then poor Harry, would be as always the Fourth Champion. Why do this? Mostly that so we can have a somehow possible Harry/Fleur/Tonks love triangle ;)

16. CrippledGod

CrippledGod Banned

I've been thinking about writing fanfiction for a while now because I have a problem with writing consistently and prolifically, and I've been told that the only solution is to keep writing A LOT.
    So I'm planning on writing a million words of fanfiction. Of one particular story, to be exact.
    Ambitious af, I know.
    The problem I have is this; there's going to be a relatively early divergence, a radically different main character, and the story is going to be about discovery and growth so I want to write it in the first person.
    I don't really like the Dresden Files so I'm not certain, but wasn't it mostly written in the first person? And if so, was it done well?
    I'm planning on using that and Albert Camus' The Stranger as a guideline.
    Also, any tips would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

17. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

Seconded. It's the least cumbersome option.

18. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

While you can remove the age restriction, it doesnt change the fact that a 13 year old is a lot less capable than a 17 year old.

19. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

13 year old? Didn't he say Harry would be a first year?

20. KGB

KGB Headmaster

If it's happening in Harry's first year will he even be in it? Since Voldemort is going with the stone as a method of resurrection.

How will that help you with staying prolific? If you have a problem with writers block kicking in than a planned million words won't change anything.

Perhaps a good way to stay on top of your writing is writing a single story ,of sane length, and start up a plot bunny file where you go if your stuck on your main story. There are buttloads of plot bunnies in the thread that never went anywhere, so just pick a couple that intrigue you and write up as much as you can/want.

Not open for further replies.