1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Caligula

Caligula First Year

What is a definition of a half-blood? We know that Harry (Muggleborn/Pureblood) and Seamus (Muggle/Pureblood) are both Purebloods. But would Harry and Ginny's children be considered to be Purebloods? If all four of your grandparents are magical, does that mean you're a Pureblood? Or is it if all eight of your great-grandparents are magical?

2. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Realistically speaking, if the age restriction was removed and the tournament happened in 1991, then Fleur and Krum would not be chosen. They were both 13 at the time.

3. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Unless I'm wrong. No Harry is not pureblood, he's half-blood and the names explain themselves. Purebloods are people born from people who are not muggleborn(couldn't think of a way to explain that) and half-bloods are as you say muggleborn and Pure-blood. The child of two muggleborn is still a muggleborn.

I've always meant to ask, what happened to the potter family? The aunts and uncles and cousins and the rest? Was it ever explained anywhere?

4. Caligula

Caligula First Year

It was a typo. What I meant was we know that Harry and Seamus are half-bloods. However, would his children with Ginny (Pureblood) or with any Pureblood lass be considered to be half-bloods or to be purebloods?

If all four of your grandparents are magical, does that mean you're a Pureblood? Or is it if all eight of your great-grandparents are magical?

5. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Pureblood means you're blood, no? which means that once you're half-blood you're kid will still have that half-blood in them. Like I don't think any Malfoy has ever married or had a kid with a muggleborn or half-blood.

6. Andrela

To people like Voldemort or Malfoy, muggleborn = muggle.

So from their point of view, Harry is true Half-Blood, having a muggle mother and a wizard father.

Harry's children have a Half-Blood father and a Pureblood mother. They're half-blood too.

Perhaps Harry's grandchildren or grand-grandchildren would be considered purebloods.

7. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Was it stated anywhere in the series or by JK herself weather or not parseltoungue was passed through genetics?

8. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

All the Gaunts were parselmouths, and the implication was that it was a lineage gift fed down from Salazar Slytherin. One could say that hearing snakespeech whilst in the womb might be enough to transfer the gift, but why make it more complicated than 'if one parent = parselmouth, children = parselmouths'?

EDIT: Nifty corollary question- if Harry knocked up a girl before losing the horcrux in his scar, would their child be a parselmouth?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  9. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Then shouldn't the Potter line have possessed the ability as well since they were related to the Gaunts? That also doesn't explain how the ability can be passed from soul to soul in Harry and Voldemort's case.

10. wordhammer

The Potters were related to the Gaunts via the Peverells, as Harry was descended of Ignotus but Riddle was descended from Cadmus. These connections probably predate the founding of Hogwarts, meaning Slytherin was descended from Cadmus as well.

As for passing it on- I never said it was genetic, just familial. The very notion that Riddle retained the ability and granted it to Harry and Ginny via his horcruxes despite being physically annihilated sorta precludes genetics as a factor.

11. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

Harry presumably lost parseltongue ability along with losing Voldemort's sould shard. I think that parseltongue ability was never Harry's, but it belonged to Voldemort. Harry could use it only when intensely concentrating on snakes, which could mean that it was just reflexive reaction of Voldemort's sould shard in Harry's scar.

Of course not. Explanation is above. Harry's child wouldn't have Voldemort's soul shard, so it also wouldn't have parseltongue ability.

12. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Aren't all muggleborns just descendants of squibs that have been cast out from pureblood families and into the muggle world?

13. Andrela

Jesus Christ Almighty I hope you're trolling.

14. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

That is fannon not cannon. No one know what makes squibs or Mugglebornes.

15. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

No, I'm not. I don't know, and only remember reading about it on that HP wiki. I thought that was all official books lore/canon.

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Muggle-born

It mentions here that "Muggle-borns inherit magic from a distant ancestor; they are descended from Squibs who have married Muggles and whose families had lost the knowledge of their wizarding legacy. The magic resurfaces unexpectedly many generations later," but the source for that seems to have 404'd.

Is this wiki untrustworthy?

That's really odd.

16. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

While not explicit in the books, JKR stated in an interview that every Muggle-born had a wizarding ancestor, albeit possibly distantly.

It's also a deduced answer on WOMBAT.

I'm pretty sure JKR's intention is to have it tied to genetics. Here's a post that tries to make it work. Personally, I'm fine with simply saying it's hereditary and magic.

17. Andrela

Harry Potter Wiki isn't well liked around these parts, as far as I'm aware.

I mean, it incorporates elements from the video games. Even the LEGO Harry Potter games.

I'd say that this information is most likely fanon.

18. wordhammer

It used to be that the HP Lexicon was much more reliable about its data (EDIT: compared to HP Wikia), citing sources and not allowing conjecture to color their listings (or at least distinguishing the sources- movie and game spells weren't mixed with canon spells for instance). It looks like the Lexicon isn't being maintained as it used to be, and some of their info based upon the published books and JKR interviews has been Jossed by Pottermore, 'canon' toys like the Book of Spells and later interviews.

I recall reading the interview about Hermione having distant squib ancestors, but I'm getting to the point where Word of God isn't as meaningful to the discussion of what works as consistent for fanfiction.

19. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Fair enough, I wasn't aware of that.

20. 0jordinio0

0jordinio0 Seventh Year

Your math here is very wrong. The muggleborn blood in Harry's kids would be further diluted and so they'd be more like three-quarter pure blood and 1 quarter muggleborn blood.

Not open for further replies.