1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Caligula, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Sorry to burst your bubble, but where did you get that idea? One of Obi-Wan's first lines when he get's Luke back to his place on Tatooine is.

That sounds pretty involved in the government as a peacekeeping force to me.

2. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Oh, when I talk about the original trilogy, I'm talking about their role in the universe and story rather than their history. Sure, the Jedi that were left were basically forced into that role with their purge I'm not really denying that the universe in the prequels was consistent with Obi Wan's comments at all - just that it made them pretty uninteresting as a story concept.

3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I will never understand people trying to sell the SW universe without the Jedi or Sith, or those trying to minimize their importance to it.

4. psychobob35

psychobob35 Fourth Year

I wouldn't want a SW universe with no Jedi, but you can't center a story around emotionless monks, it's just not relatable.

We need central characters who have passion, and I felt none of it in the PT ( and don't you dare try to fucking tell me that that horseshit Anakin/Padme romance had passion.).

5. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

You've painted the entire Jedi concept off the movies which were written by Lucas. He's a great vision/idea guy, but he can't write screenplays worth shit. There are plenty of stories in the EU that have Jedi who have emotions and passion. They just don't go apeshit with it. Stories can and have been written. Hopefully Abrams can show some of this with the new movies.

6. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    There would be no Star Wars without the psychic space warrior monks with laser swords. And if there was, we wouldnt know about it.

Edit:More on topic, I wish I could find fics with Luke post ROTJ with ... less Mara Jade. I really dont like her.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  7. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Actually, there are a few Star Wars EU books that didn't feature the force at all. Off the top of my head, the Han Solo Trilogy, Shadows of the Empire, X-Wing series (9 books), the Tales series, Correlian Trilogy (I don't think Luke featured much in that anyway) and probably more I'm missing. They certainly didn't feel lacking despite no Force at all. Most of the fandom before TPM seemed to put the Jedi stuff as no more or less important than other stuff in the universe.

For some reason the fanfiction community isn't interested in post-ROTJ Luke that isn't a L/M romance. But I suppose there's lots of EU books that fit that criteria. Some of them even have the quality of B-grade fanfiction too.

Anyway, I stupidly ignored everyone's warnings about the Darth Mars fic and decided to give it a go, and ended up wasting a night and sleep. His stories are like, calculated trolls. They starts off good, and descends slowly, so you don't really realize how much you've wasted your time until way later...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  8. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    My point was that no one would care about Star Wars enough to write novels about aspects of it if it werent for the psychic space warrior monks with laser swords.

Well, that is a shame. Reading the fics recced here has vividly reminded me of how much I dislike Mara Jade.

9. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

I think the pre-Mara Jade EU simply ran into the problem of coming too early, before Zahn picked things up. Most people -myself included really- just didn't latch on to that the way they did to post-Zahn stuff and by that point it was already on it's way.

Luckily for me I don't mind her that much, sucks to be Republic21 :p

10. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

I love this thread. Had to say it, because this thread is full of awesomesauce. Why haven't we had a SW thread before? It makes no sense to me.

Also, I like Mara Jade. Callista Ming was the other love interest for Luke in EU, and she's just as interesting a character as Mara if you really revile L/M that much. I don't know why you would, however. Luke/Mara is literally the only example of heterosexual Foe Yay that's been written decently, to my recollection. It's an interesting, dynamic pairing with the right amount of darkness.

11. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I found another pretty good KOTOR story. It manages to avoid rehashing canon 100%, and if it does follow canon, it does so in ways different from the game, whether from choice options or the characters that make them. Probably a borderline 4/5 story that's worth your time, especially if you're a Canderous, Zaalbar, and HK-47 fan. It's also the only story where turning Revan into a force sensitive is delayed and I'm not annoyed. Kyle the Republic commando is a badass.

Revan/Bastila for whatever it's worth.

Also handles the whole Revan thing well
    Malak using the force to awaken Revan and turn Kyle into a fun schizophrenic who actually can say the voice is real is nice and I haven't really seen it before.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9565323/1/Candle-in-the-Dark

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  12. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If I'd glanced at the summary in passing, I would have written it off as standard ff.net shit. It's actually pretty good. I'm still on the first chapter, but it drew me in when all I had originally intended was giving it a quick glance.

13. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    You know, I employed a very simple trick, and through it, thoroughly enjoy this fic. You know what the trick was?

I convinced myself that Revan really is playing Bastila and brainwashing her. If not by outright lying, then by careful omitions and editing of the truth, adding mind games into the mix and tricking her into agreeing with him, like I expect someone like Revan or Palpatine would.

Perfectly planned, perfectly constructed and executed, and worked to a tee.

14. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

If you really want a large collection of Star Wars fanfics, check out the Jedi Council Forums. It has the largest collection of Star Wars fanfic's that I know of. Although the site is currently going through a problem with many of their older stories from before 2012 being cutoff at around 1,000 words and stuff. Hopefully it'll be one day fixed.

http://boards.theforce.net/forums/fan-fiction-before-saga-and-beyond.10859/

An interesting story story that I've read there is a Star Wars reboot story called Star Wars Episode 1: The Chosen One. It's not bad, but it unnecessarily has it so that Anakin Skywalker is not the main characters real name, but rather one he later adopts, before I assume he will take on the name Darth Vader in a sequel. It's a pretty stupid idea really.

Speaking of which, we really need to create our own rebooted Prequel trilogy. BelatedMedia's version on youtube is good, but I'd like to see one that I can actually read.

15. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

I've been looking for a story from star wars that read years ago. Compassion by (sp) Morathor. Episode 4 AU Obi-wan focused along with the author's OC. It had good fight scenes, though the romance was a bit on the concerning side. It ended up being completed, but for the life of me, I can't find it.

16. stormfury

stormfury Unspeakable

http://archiveofourown.org/works/377554/chapters/616150

The Sith Who Brought Life Day is pretty amazing, and is a completed (~14k words) fic that is very well written and explores how the Empire figured out who Luke was after the Death Star.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3707292/1/In-a-Barroom-Far-Far-Away

Funny little fic where Anakin finds out that bartenders are probably wiser then jedi masters.

Also, someone mentioned Dynasty (https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2985379/1/Dynasty). Read it when you get super desperate for a Star Wars fic, you probably won't be able to handle it before then. It's about as guilty of a pleasure as you can imagine, yet somehow I still go back and read it every so often. Let's just say... I have never seen Darth Vader care about clothes as much as he does in this fic.

17. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

Except it seems that no one writes Callista fics anymore. It's like the whole Kyp/Jaina ship except I didn't see the writers try to kill it right in front of me.

Maybe in a shipping fic you'll see it, but in anything moderately "recent" (i.e. close chronologically to what has been published in the last few years)? Nope.

They also have an archive. It's good but of course, but searching through the forum helps. I think I was able to access the Jedi Council Forums with the WebArchive/WayBackMachine so that might help.

Also: did a search but couldn't find this. Lord Vader's Limpet. Hilarious, short and sweet.

18. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Haha forgot about this one. Always brings a smile to my face. "I find your lack of control disturbing".

I never even realized they were a thing. Gotta go have a look now...

Also gave the Firefly crossover - Blue Sun Down - a go, without actually having a look at who the author was. After a few hours of reading, I began to realize with absolute certainty that the other was Darth Marrs - before even going and checking. >_<

Dynasty I've read a twice before, and you're right. Gotta be pretty desperate before going down that root. Great example of a very cheesy Vader redemption fi .

19. CBH

CBH Sixth Year

Pretty funny; there's also a sequel about Vader taking Anakin to get his license.

20. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

Okay, I'm enjoying this for the most part. It has got a lot of good ideas, with a very good streamlining of canon. It has a few problems, such as dialogue formatting and the commando bullshit. Seriously, I get it. He's a commando, the biggest badass to ever grace the goddamn galaxy, you can stop reminding me every three paragraphs. So far, the side plots haven't been given any relevance or meaning (here's looking at you, Ulgo) and during his only appearance thus far, Vandar was talking like Yoda (racist, that is.) But yeah, still pretty awesome Taris so far, especially with the cut-out Upper City and minimal Under City, which were by far my least favorite parts of the game.

Man, I remember being deathly afraid of the Lower City apartments and outside the gate of the Under City. Took me a year to get over my fear of rakghouls. Hey, it was 2004, I was still a young warthog.