1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dresden Casefiles #2

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Riley, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wait. Was Fonti was tutoring CITRUS?

2. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

No, Prophylaxis was.

Fonti tutored Sloth

3. Sloth

Sloth Professor DLP Supporter

4. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I WOULD IF SHE EVER MADE OBS ;_;

Er, Citrus played really well, Aekiel did well when it counted, everyone else....

5. Titus

Titus Squib

Bill, I was pretty damn good. I was wrong on Aekiel but I played my role to a T, well at lest what I thought it was. I could not take an nk, bc that would fuck up the analysis and give scum a safeclaim. Of course, I also had to be as impossible of an nk target w/out getting lynched. BC getting lynched does 0 to protect Merlin.

I had Citrus scum pegged and didn't back down.

Would we like me to be more active? Sure, but it was anti-win con to do so.

Who were the scums for kicks? Zennith, Citrus and....

6. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Be more impressed with yourself, please.

7. Lexicat

Lexicat Second Year

Reason why the thread was locked: Riley's ruling had the potential to compromise the game state for one alignment over the other, but as a player in the game I could not make an impartial choice. The thread was locked while I expressed my concern to the mods (to prevent any damages from happening) and then a third party mediator who was not in the game (Rubicon) decided how things should be handled.

Firstly, I was never given obs, so I could never comment on it there. Secondly, given the worst thing that can happen to a game is for the mod to inadvertently compromise the gamestate by implementing a ruling that favors one alignment over the other, actions were immediately taken to put the game-state on a freeze while it was addressed. Thirdly, I had no hand in making the choice. I told both Rubicon and Riley at the time of the incident I would not be making any decisions, and that if no third party mediation could be found, and/or no one wanted to deal with this shit, I would default to unlocking the thread leaving it as was.

So, to the people who are saying I abused power to bully the mod into making a choice because I had stake in the game? Fuck. You. I made a call that had minimal impact on the game (the freeze lasted about an hour or two tops) which had a necessary effect of ensuring that the gamestate was kept in a place of balance for both remaining factions, not favoring one over the other. Given it explicitly did not change the outcome of the game, and that I did not insert my own bias into the choices, I would make this call 100% of the time. Given we have a single mafia game running at any given time, that lasts generally up to 2 weeks, I feel it's important to monitor and maintain integrity.

I won't comment on the setup, since that's more of a personal opinion, and didn't play a factor in my choice to lock the thread.

8. Bill Door

Posts 349 to 381, explain how exactly that was good play. Lyrium was the third.

9. Lexicat

Lexicat Second Year

For shits and gigs, WERE you counterclaiming Zennith when you said you didn't buy his claim?

10. Bill Door

No, I had a positive check on him as scum. I doubt I'd have believed his claim anyway.

11. Lexicat

Lexicat Second Year

What role were you again?

12. Zennith

High Score:
    Dude. You're just wrong, sorry. You're just wrong.

When you're participating in a game, that's all you are. You're ONLY a participant. You have no other authority. If you have an issue, PM RILEY. If I had an issue I had no ability to lock the thread until my concerns were heard. Nor did any other player. You have no right to lock a thread when you're participating. NONE. You're concerned about integrity? You ruined the integrity of RILEY'S game more than if the rule had stood. Get off your high horse.

13. Bill Door

Harry Dresden/Cop

14. Sloth

Sloth Professor DLP Supporter

I won't comment on the rest cause...well, honestly, I don't really care now that the game's over.
    However, how does the Co-Moderator count as an uninvolved third-party mediator?
    You should have probably gone with...basically anyone else. And you should have probably asked that third person if they thought you had a point before locking the thread.

15. Zennith

High Score:

Yeah. I'm really sad I didn't shroud myself the first night. I was originally planning to.

16. Lexicat

Lexicat Second Year

Mmmm, no I have every right. This has nothing to do with my position as a player. A moderator introduced a new element of gamestate in a MyLo situation that had the potential to shift the balance of the game in the favor of one alignment. You're telling me that PMing him is the optimal solution but what happens if a lynch occurs before this can be settled within that gamestate? what happens if people post 10 pages of content within that gamestate? By that point, it's already too late to have the conversation at ALL. By freezing the thread, you a) do not interfere with any of the living players reads or actions b) ensure that the moderator acts in a capacity that is fair to all factions and c) preserve the integrity of gamestate.

What you're telling me is that if Riley came out in LyLo and announced that "because today was Day 5, Scum are immune to lynches", it should be treated as a fair moderator decision and be left unchecked. That's simply not the case. The game of mafia has rules, and altering gamestates is a big one.

17. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

I love discussion but can we leave out the Lexi issue please? It's been dealt with in regards to this game as of now. I've already let it go. The issue was resolved in the best manner it could have been.

LEAVE IT BE.

She's more than welcome to take up any criticisms or whatnot with how the set up works with me personally but the game itself is done. At this point, both sides are beating a dead dog. Stop. Please.

Additionally, if anyone wants to start a thread in the Little Italy subforum about Forum Moderators and their usage in games against Game Moderator's discretion, please do. This isn't the thread to do that and I won't let this evolve into a shit show. Thanks and good night.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  18. Zennith

High Score:

Sorry Riley. I just think it's bullshit. I don't care about whether or not it would have changed things and whether or not we would have won (we didn't deserve to).

I truly, truly believe that (and I'm saying this because it has ramifications for the site in general) if you are participating in a game, you should have NO MODERATOR POWERS over that game. NONE. Anything else leads to problems like we're experiencing in this game.

19. Lexicat

Lexicat Second Year

He counts because he's not attached to any alignment? We're not looking for jesus himself here, just someone who a) didn't make the original decision and b) isn't a player in the game.

Originally, I was going to have Zeit do it, given he was the other mod, but he was also a player in the game so.... /me shrugs.

And on the point of asking them first, I'll direct you to the "posting being made in a gamestate" point, and how crucial that really is.

20. Zennith

High Score:

Bullshit. Bullshit bullshit.

If you trust Riley enough to create a game and to let him mod a game, let him do it his way. it ISN'T your game and Riley wouldn't have just randomly done what you describe. Without any pressure from mods, the game could easily just have dragged on for days with nothing actually happening. Why is that preferable?

It's bullshit.