1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

It appears that Nos Tres Reges has chosen to erase themselves from the world of fanfiction. Their account has been renamed Deleted00000001 and the related Twitter page is no longer extant.

I'm not sure how I feel about that- on one hand, a person should have the right to a clean slate and control of their intellectual property, in as much as they can claim any ownership for a derivative work. On the other, the stories, having been shared, are now a part of the life and experiences of many others along with the author(s), so removing them seems selfish, especially since it costs them nothing for the stories to continue existing.

Thoughts?

(crossposted on Reddit, by the way)

2. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Who?

/10chars.

Oz
  3. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Trio that wrote VINCET I and II and one of the few good Harry/Daphne fics. It's a shame those stories have been wiped, but I'm sure they're archived somewhere.

4. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Authors (I believe it was a team) of Vincet, the General, Intoxication.

5. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The latter two were solo works by one of the trio. Vincet was the only one that was collaborative.

Anyway, two of the authors have left the fandom and the remaining one, while still around, is rather inactive, so that's probably the reason for it.

Not sure if you'll be able to find a copy -- honestly, DLP is the most likely place to archive fanfiction these days, and we haven't updated our archive in years.

6. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I noticed a week or so ago. Pretty disappointing and unexpected, R was supposedly making good progress on the third story in the series. Ah well.

7. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

I have copies of Vincet and Vultus Serpentis in epub format. If you want a copy PM me.

8. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Oh, Vincet has been on my to read list for about two years. Never managed to get into it.

9. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Do spells always travel in a straight line from the wand to wherever you're pointing at?

Or can you cast a spell during a fight and have the effect work behind your opponent?

10. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

It depends on a spell you are using. Harry used accio on his broom during first task, which was in the castle, which means that no, they don't always travel in lines.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  11. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

It appears the Unbreakable Vow does not have an incantation. What other spells might not need them? I suspect the Fidelius works without one. The Horcrux Ritual perhaps also does not require an incantation.

12. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Here are a few from PoA:

Incidentally, this is also further evidence that "Potions Master" is a position within Hogwarts, not a qualification.

It's magic using a verbal cue, but they don't appear to be incantations in the traditional sense (just as the unbreakable vow has verbal elements).

Also of great interest is Snape's apparent belief that his being a professor of Hogwarts would somehow strengthen his magic inside the school. The role of social authority in relation to magic is an interesting one, especially given that the Ministry of Magic seems to have several extremely powerful unique abilities.

13. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Huh. Then his and Snape's conversations are not only about the coming of Voldemort, but about protecting Harry.

OR . . . Snape's working for Voldemort, along side fake!Moody. Karkoroff is working against both of them while trying to act as though he's in their camp. there's quite a bit of storyline in your idea. I like it.

14. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Voldemort's resurrection didn't really use incantations either.

15. redshell

redshell Order Member

It's a ritual. Wormtail still gave the incantation. "Bone of the father, unknowingly given, you will renew your son! Flesh of the servant, willingly sacrificed, you will revive your master. Blood of the enemy, forcibly taken, you will resurrect your foe."

16. Quick Ben

Which raises the question why most fights aren't fought like this. I've always found it odd seeing someone sidestep or dodge a spell, talented people should be fighting with those invisible sort of area effect spells not bright red stunners that you're opponent can dodge.

That is why I've always figured that a high level fight is decided by who is more knowledgeable about wand movements so that by seeing the movements you know what spell it is and you can act accordingly. I thought this was the direction it would take after the introduction of non verbal spells but unfortunately it didn't and not a lot of fanfics picked it up.

17. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Yes, an incantation which is nothing like the ones we normally see, more like the ones Snape was using in Taure's post . . . which was the point I was making. Sorry, I should have said, "doesn't really use [standard] incantations either."

18. Agravaine

Agravaine Seventh Year

Fear of friendly fire, I would think, or perhaps retaliation in turn. With wizards' ability to manipulate the surrounding environment at blinding speeds in so many different and unpredictable ways, any magical confrontation at close quarters would be very short, very bloody, and very chaotic. An open battle would quickly lead to unsustainable losses of manpower.

Related tangent: magic, even when peacefully intentioned, seems a lot more dangerous than usually recognized. There is a reason that St. Mungo's maintains so many specialized wards that see such frequent use, despite serving such a small population. There is a reason why entire generations of Blacks died so young despite the naturally extended life-spans of wizards. There is a reason why Purebloods employ house elves to perform tasks they could do themselves without breaking a sweat. And there is a reason why the Ministry enforces restrictions on underage magic so zealously.

Incidents like the fate of Luna's mother must be a lot more common than we see in canon. Magic is temperamental and unpredictable, and a wizard is taking a potentially fatal risk every time a wizard casts a spell. Professor Flitwick treats the matter glibly, but this is a world where you can try to levitate a teacup, transliterate a couple of syllables, and get crushed to death by a buffalo from the ether. Hogwarts is not a school to teach children magic, it is a seven-year safety course in how not to blow up everyone around you with the God-like power you have at your command.

19. Quick Ben

That makes sense but would Death eaters or the crazy ones really care about that?

Also another interesting question, whats the general consensus of what magic is/comes from? I know that magical cores have been vehemently refuted but other than that, if a wand channels your intent and makes it happen, where does the energy itself come from?

20. Skeletaure

High Score:
    I recently came across something in AskScience that resonated with me as being a nice comparison for magic:

And another:

From this thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/...rmanent_magnets_have_a_halflife_or_otherwise/

Not open for further replies.