1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. meev

meev Groundskeeper

Because in canon people can't and don't dodge those spells. They block the opponent from using them or shield from them. The same as you can to any of those "invisible area of effect spells".

People then apply the fact people use stunners in canon to their fanfics without any thought to why that is.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No energy. I tend to think of HP magic less like 'I will light this room up' and more like 'Let there be light'.

3. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

Yes they do. E.g. from DH:

"...and the remaining Death Eater shot a curse so close to Harry that he had to duck below the rim of the car..."

And later:

"Voldemort was now dueling McGonagall, Slughorn and Kingsley all at once, and there was cold hatred in his face as they wove and ducked around him..."

Magic in Harry Potter follows only the rule of cool and the Theory of Narrative Causality. Practical, inventive applications of magic that would solve problems in an instant won't work because of magic. No reason to try to argue against that, it's just magic.

4. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Can you view dreams in a pensive?

Edit: Wow seriously? This was my 4,000th post?

Umm, first question in this thread! :/ That makes it all worthwhile!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  5. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

As long as you remember the dream there shouldn't be any reason for it not to be possible.

6. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

That would depend on how much you can remember it, I suppose.

But would the same work for Voldemort-induced visions for Harry? I think I read about that somewhere recently.

7. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's actually part of the reason I am asking. So I guess a better question for discussion is, could Harry view a dream of Voldemort in the pensieve.

Or even more interestingly, could he view the dream of himself possessing nagini to bite Arthur Weasely in a pensieve.

8. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

At what point would a wizard be expected to realistically be a major threat with a wand?

From everything we see, Hogwarts students, even the good ones like Harry and Hermione, just arent in the same league as most Death Eaters and even Order members.

So does competency continue until the 20's when they would become more of a threat?

It would seem that in the Maurerders era, three of them, plus Bellatrix, Malfoys, Snape and others, are considered very dangerous, compared to what we see in the current generation.

In terms of training, most wizards seem to stop after Hogwarts, yet even years after graduating, it would seem they are a match, or more than a match, for the 7th years, who should realistically, be at their peak.

9. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't know where we see that Death Eaters are a major threat. Canon has them as completely incompetent in OotP. 12 v 6 and they couldn't capture or kill a teenager, and then vs. order members they couldn't kill one either (except for an accident of architecture with Sirius) when presumably order members weren't aiming to kill but DEs were.

As for when a wizard is dangerous with a wand? Pretty much as soon as they want to be, I imagine, given how canon magic seems to work (no actual reliance on theory for spellcasting, despite Taure's lust for such a system).

10. Erotic Adventures of S

In the Battle of Hogwarts, its shown several times, that Single Death Eaters take out multiple "skilled" good guys. Bellatrix, Dolohov, Voldemort (Obviously). Also although it was never said in raw numbers, to me it seemed to imply that the Death Eaters were in the minority, but still gave hell.

11. Photon

Photon Order Member

Major threat of what? Adult wizards, children, Muggles, exceptional wizards like Dumbledore?

Anyway, competency seems to not be really related to age (Tom with his control on accidental/wandless magic before going to Hogwarts was more competent than some Aurors - as extreme example, but there are far more).

12. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't know where you're getting this stuff, but no. Bellatrix was the only death eater who held off multiple people (all teenage girls) and she was eventually killed by Molly. Voldemort held off multiple "skilled" individuals (though we don't really know how skilled Slughorn was) but he isn't a death eater, he's Voldemort.

13. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

But I thought Dolohov really did kill both Tonks and Lupin (but I don't know if it was the same time)

But word of god says that Lupin was out of dueling shape by that time, for whatever it's worth, and Tonks was pregnant leading up to the battle and had just given birth a mere month before (per wiki, so big time for what it's worth).

14. Erotic Adventures of S

Quick question: Is it illegal to cast the unforgivables, or to cast them on a human?

Can you practice them with out getting in trouble?

15. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

It is illegal to cast them on a human.

16. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Oh man, I've just started reading that "Firebird's Son" fic and holy fucking hell that world is a pure shithole to live in.

My question being: does the world of this fic actually sort of tilt itself into balance? Without the bonds being a deterrent on one or the other partner of the bonds, that is. Or will it just keep getting more grim and darker with every new chapter? And I dare not imagine what the sequel is like, if this trend continues.

17. Andrela

I just never could get into that fic, for some reason. The first chapter always throws me off.

18. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Well...

Extreme spoilers for the second story, I'm not even kidding.
    In the latest chapter, Luna presented herself to the sabbat to petition for having her fertility restored (you know, because they burned out her fallopian tubes as a child because they didn't like her mother), and their version of doing what she wanted was raping her with a large, magical, dildo-like artifact so badly that they tore her open, even knowing that a side effect of the process was that, once restored she would immediately go through every menstrual period she missed due to being sterilized.

The author used vague terms and the artifact was described as a wand but... yeah, raped with a big, magical, dildo.

And, part of what she had to agree to, before they'd even grant her this 'boon' was forsake her family and their name (you know, the family this same group of bitches killed before they burned out preteen Luna's reproductive organs), and that Harry would have to take a Greengrass as another wife.

Spoiler within a spoiler! Harry has already had a vision that Daphne will straight up murder Luna and Hermione right in front of him if he marries her, so they're trying to be sneaky and actually marry Astoria, instead... whose face has already been described with the notably uncomplimentary phrase, "reminiscent of a wedge," and is confirmed to have been the victim of multiple rapes, as both her mother and sister have allowed her to be passed around between Draco and "other Slytherins" as a plaything. They also stated that, outside the possibility of Harry marrying her, Astoria's most likely fate is to continue being used in such a manner until she is "sold to the goblins."

Pro Tip: In this world, there is no such thing as a female goblin...
    So, yeah...

I believe it would be fair to say that Darth Marrs is a big fan of crapsack worlds, and this story features his crapsackiest world of all. I just haven't managed to look away from the train wreck, quite yet.

I can almost guarantee that if this story ever takes a lighthearted tiptoe through the tulips, it will end up tripping over the rotting body of a violated orphan whose organs have been stolen to save the life of someone who would also have no problem violating and murdering an orphan and leaving them to rot.

Hmm, how can I lighten up that sort of comment so that you can go on with your day... oh, yeah!

:nyan: JAZZ HANDS! :nyan:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  19. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

As is my curse, I am always drawn to read spoilers, and man oh man, that shit... why do I get the feeling this is just the tip of the iceberg?

How come Harry hasn't become his generation's' Voldemort? Seriously, with that whole fucked up world, you'd think they'd be popping out Dark Lords like bunnies.

Or they actually do and it's a giant conspiracy by the Sabbat to control the disorderly and seditious elements of their world.

20. Andrela

Bunnies? You might be careful throwing such summoning spells around. Who knows what might happen, who might happen.

Not open for further replies.