1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Worm RPG - City & Character Creation Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Aekiel, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

Hmm, maybe to distinguish yourself a bit more from canon characters, and to also open up more options for you, why not add that your power doesn't just help you understand languages, but also makes you able to learn/copy them faster. Could be something that's temporary if you don't want to make it too broken, but it would be pretty useful not only for combat, but also for non-combat stuff such as copying somebodies speaking style to get an edge in social combat, or learning how to be stealthier.

Maybe being able to use somebody else's stats for a roll if you can justify it if you want it to be temporary. It would probably be similar to Mimic Abilities, but locked only to skills, and maaaaybe stunts if Aek is feeling nice, and you could go with being able to copy from just watching somebody else use it instead of having to eat part of them, but it's only temporary.

2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, from Tattletale to Victor. :p

There are too many canon powers to worry about overlap, so as long ad the methods are different I'm fine with similar outcome powers. That said, this character is closer to Alexandria than Tt, albeit less punchy.

But yeah, think about the suggestions mishie made. They're all easily workable.

3. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

In all honesty, I was more thinking of Uber when I came up with the idea mainly because it's less stealing skills, and more just watching how people use them to improve yourself. You could also go for the permanent skill boost, but you would probably have to limit it to only a partial boost, or having a limit to how many skills you can copy. Mainly because it's not really copying, it's just learning really fast :p

4. Aekiel

High Score:
    That is Victor's skill. Uber's is being instantly good at anything he wants to be.

EDIT: Also, Mimic Abilities with a Limitation (Skills Only) would be all you'd need to model a Victor type power.

You'd have to stick to the skill pyramid though; it's way too easy to break the system so that you have a ton of skills at the cap without anything to go underneath them. I'd probably go with replacing skills to the level they have or lower only, though I haven't given any detailed thought to how it'd work with skills you already have at a lower level.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  5. Aekiel

High Score:
    Okay, this is taking way too long. I'm ready to start the game as soon as you guys are, so I'm instituting a deadline.

Character sheets need to be ready by Friday, or I'll start looking for replacements. If you're stuck on any particular part, just PM me, contact me through Skype (dlaekiel) or through Steam (Aekiel).

6. Corellon

Corellon Second Year

There, my completed character sheet. If you happen to have an idea for better names for my aspects, I would love to hear them. Mostly the first and second, I'm pretty happy with the other three.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  7. Aekiel

High Score:
    I like it, though your power description is a bit inaccurate. You're limited by the Manton Effect when applying your Wind Enhancements, so no giving people super speed or teleportation. Mechanically, you'd need the Power Granter ability to do that. Perhaps something to consider if you have a Second Trigger?

Aspects wise you're looking great. They're all pretty evocative of the story and make for plenty of potential story lines.

EDIT: Stress boxes wise you're looking at:

Physical - OOO
    Mental - OOO
    Social - OOO

A decent all rounder there, though I'll point out that unless you're going for a Tank (Endurance), Leader (Presence) or True Faith (Conviction) character, there's little point in having those three skills on even numbered skill levels. You get exactly the same benefits for being on +1 Endurance as you do for being on +2.

So unless you're planning your character around one of the Endurance/Conviction trappings (or are intending to bring them up to +3 with a Significant Milestone), it's more optimised to have them on an odd numbered skill rank.

8. Corellon

Corellon Second Year

Good point on the skills. I'll just switch Endurance and Conviction with Survival and Contacts.

As far as the Manton Effect thing goes, I meant about me teleporting them, not them being able to teleport themselves (unless they're Copycat, I guess.) I'll make that clearer.

9. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Okay, overworked this a bit, hopefully, this is better now:

Thanks to Aekiel for his help and to Ashan for allowing to use his char for a guest star slot.

10. Ashan

Ashan Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Some small edits to the skills list. Redid the whole post because I made story edits too.

If you want to know how someone unable to manipulate metals can crack a safe... Safes aren't safe when the person breaking in can apply enough pressure to the sides to literally crack it open through sheer force.

Edit: Modern safes are digital.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  11. Aekiel

High Score:
    There are easier ways to crack a safe, but that way works fairly well.

You're still looking at 2 stress boxes for your Physical and Mental stress tracks, which seems strange to me given your combat focus. Believe me when I tell you that getting up close and personal with a brute will mess you up big time.

Secondly, your geology stunt should be two stunts. One for the +2 to Scholarship, another for the using Scholarship instead of Investigation. The latter is also functionally useless because Investigation isn't a knowledge skill; you'd never roll it for that kind of thing.

As a side note, that stunt is also basically the Scientist stunt listed in the rulebook. Given that balancing stunts is a difficult thing, I'd suggest bringing it more into line with that. So, +1 for geology in general, +2 in a specific area of geology (perhaps urban geology, since that's most applicable to your character).

Lastly, your Phase Aspects look decent, if a bit bland. Easy Successes could do with some livening up. These are supposed to be descriptions of your character's history and psyche. Bring out your inner poet! :p

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  12. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

So yeah, done a fair bit for my character, all that's left is to finish typing up my aspect stuff, main problem is the fact that I'm unable to condense shit down, so I'm already almost on page 4 of the word doc and I still have to write down my costume info, power info and 2 aspects D:

Also, looks like I'm the only one who took Resources, so I've been talking to Aek a bit about shit we've already got like a safehouse and other backstory stuffs. Since I have Resources 2, just use that for when you're deciding what equipment you've got and just justify it in that I bought it for you guys or something.

Also, we need to talk about our hideout, based on my backstory and resources, I was thinking that I would be the owner of something similar to what the Undersiders had at the start of Worm. A shitty house in the shitty part of the city, but is actually nicer on the inside than it looks. It probably also has a few ways for us to slip in and our using our powers as well as some basic security stuff, I guess a basic alarm system would be something similar to an alarm ward with how it works?

If anybody else has any ideas, feel free to add it.

13. Aekiel

High Score:
    Okay folks. Kalas appears to have fallen off the edge of the Earth so Lamora has kindly stepped in to replace him.

14. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Very sorry I held everything up guys! Last semester of my undergrad and I thought I could balance everything but I'm just swamped till the end of April. Have a great time for me.

15. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  16. Ashan

Ashan Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

So we have

Ashan - Fissure (Long Li Wei - Kyle) - Non-metallic Shaker
    Corellon - Zephyr (Dai Rhys) - Wind Mover/Striker
    Mishie - Wisp (Unnamed) - Air Changer/Striker/Stranger
    Nemrut - Rosetta (Ege Massal) - Omnilingual Thinker
    Lamora - Dynamo (Jacob Maxwell - Jack) - Cyborg Tinker

Fissure met Wisp => Fissure met Rosetta, Wisp met Dynamo + Zephyr.

That all correct?

Wisp still has no recorded real name.

17. Corellon

Corellon Second Year

That looks correct to me on all counts. Seems like we're (mostly) ready to roll.

18. Aekiel

High Score:
    Yep, doing the blurbs now. We'll have pages up very soon.

---------- Post automerged at 05:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 AM ----------

IC Thread is up and running here.

19. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  20. Aekiel

High Score:
    @Ashan, Corellon & Nemrut: Could you guys copy all your stuff onto a Mythweavers sheet? Use Mishie's as a base.

---------- Post automerged at 06:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 AM ----------

OOC Thread is up!