1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Prophecy/Horcrux Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord Apophis, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

I have been wondering for a while about this.

The prophecy says that only Harry can kill Voldemort.

Thanks to his horcruxes so can Voldemort never trully die until all his
    horcruxes have been destroyed.

Does that mean that anyone can "kill" him while he still has horcruxes so his body is destroyed but his spirit lives on?

2. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

I think yes, but no one has the guts to do that.

3. Mech Angel.V.2.

Mech Angel.V.2. Second Year

No... Thats still dying, even if it isnt forever, so only Harry could even do that.

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nah, I think that Voldemort's body could be killed. Just think about it - humanoid bodies aren't very tough and a mere falling rock can kill you. And you've got remember - Harry has the power to vanquish the dark lord. Not just kill him. Important part there.

5. Quill Runner

Quill Runner First Year

Personally, I think that technically anyone can destroy a horcrux, since Dumbledore seemed perfectly capable of doing it, as did the mysterious RAB. Similarly, Dumbledore also bothered to duel Voldemort in the Ministry, which suggests that at least Dumbledore thought Voldemort would be vulnerable to spells.

The only thing that really separates Harry Potter from any other wizard is his scar and the bit of Voldemort he's got in him, which has, sadly, only really manifested itself in his use of Parseltongue, which was never really picked up after CoS. I expect that it'll be circumstances surrounding his link and maybe his borrowed abilities that make him uniquely suited to hunting down the horcruxes and confronting Voldemort.

There's also the wand, but I'll be profoundly disgusted if she uses that excuse a second time to evade the fact that Harry's duelling skills are only slightly above average, at best.

QR

6. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Hmmm, if everytime Voldemort dies, that means he has to use a Horcrux. So if they kill him a few times, say 4, than that means that he has one life left. Can Harry than kill him, and would that work against the prophecy or with it?

7. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

I always thought that the number of horcruxes has nothing to do with how many times you can die. I figure that Voldemort can die how ever many times he wants while even just one of his horcruxes exists.

Anyway, I have this idea about writting a story (Post HBP) were someone kills Voldemort before all Horcruxes are destroyed and everyone celebrates him as the Hero while harry is trying to convince everyone that voldemort still exists so will the public really start to belive that all harry wants it fame and cant handle that someone else is the hero now.

Any ideas about such a story? Good? Bad?

8. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I think Voldemort just likes the idea of a seven part soul since it is a powerful number and no one has done it before thus it makes him special. I think he would survive just fine with one horcrux but it is not as safe becuase it is easier to destroy one then it is seven. I do think he could be killed by someone else but appart from a lucky shot or like 5 on 1 I don't see who could do it now.

9. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

>_> extra lives cheat.

10. Kiklo

Kiklo Seventh Year

Dumbledore was considered the most powerful wizard at that time. Just because he destroyed a horcruxe doesn't mean everyone else could. Besides, if his hand got screwed, who knows what will happen to others. And about the mysterious RAB, we don't even know who he truly is. Hence he is mysterious! And we don't even know if the locket is destroyed or not.

Are you serious? Do you honestly think Dumbledore would just let Voldemort skip along through the MoM killing everyone else who was in there including Harry. His job was to protect Harry. It's not that he thought Voldemort would be vulnerable to spells, he fought him because no one else could.

11. KeshinNoAkui

KeshinNoAkui Seventh Year

Voldemort created the Horcruxes before he tried to off Harry for the first time, and ended up with his human body "dying". Which means he could theoretically lose his human body, and not be able to return if the remaining Horcruxes are destroyed afterwards. In truth, that's a good thing, but Wizards are too fucking stupid to use their common sense....

12. Mech Angel.V.2.

Mech Angel.V.2. Second Year

Well ya' got me. Hmmm.Voldemort and his Horcruxes are confusing. Anyhow, It doesnt really matter, as no wizard save dumbles had the power to match him, and he's dead.

13. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I think anyone can kill Voldemort's body. Even Ron. His spirit will just be ejected again like last time, so he isnt dead. Harry is the only one that can get rid of him for good, I think.

Anyone can get rid of a Horcrux if they know how. I think thats the problem.

14. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Yeah i don't see how Harry is the only one who can destroy Voldemort know I think about it. Anyone can Destroy a Horcrux since 3 people have and I don't see how Harry is the only one who can destroy Voldemort just get a dozen aurors to AK all around him and see what happens.

15. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I never thought that the prophecy said Harry was the only one that could destroy him...more like, Harry was going to be the only one that could kill Voldemort. yes, almost the same thing.

Yes, any series of Aurors could take out a few horcruxes, but its not going to happen, because frankly, they have no idea they exist, and not many will believe a 16 or 17 year old boy.

Harry is the only one with the means to destroy Voldemort, and he is the only one that can. Not out of power, luck, or skill, but just because of the way things works out. The prophecy, although not saying anything directly, knew that this is what was going to happen. Knew that the Ministry would be on one side, clueless to everything, and Harry would be on another, with the full knowledge of Voldemorts defeat.

The only question I ask myself is, did the propecy create itself and if it never existed, would it even have any truth to it?

16. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Say if a Horcrux is basically a piece of sould bound to an object, would blowing the object to pieces release the peice? It would take away the risk of having your hand blown off or shriviled up. Just plant some good 'ol C4 to it and watch the fireworks

17. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

The prophecy is self-fulfilling, so yeah. Harry has the most chance of doing it since Voldemort wont leave him alone. Why wont he leave him alone? Because of what happened at Godric's Hollow. Why'd he go there in the first place? Prophecy.

But I like to believe that Harry is the only way he can die. Makes him more 'special'.

18. The Lord of Chaos

The Lord of Chaos Slug Club Member

Dumbledore said that the Horcruxes had to be destroyed before they could attack voldemort, which means that all Harry has to do is kill him, he doesn't have to destroy the Horcruxes.
    I don't think RAB was able to destroy the Horcrux. Remember Dumbledore almost killed himself practically trying to destroy the ring. A popular theory is that RAB is Regulus Black. (Sirius mentions an uncle Alphard who may very well have been Regulus's middle name sake) I know that this is kind of stretching things here, but if you'll remember back to when they where cleaning Grimauld Place they came across "a heavy locket that none of them could open." (JK HP~OotP) which I can foresee two likely fates for this locket that was thrown into the rubbish. Kreacher came in and stole it, and it's boiler room somewhere, or Mundungus stole it from the rubbish bin and it's who knows where. Lastly, Sirius only guesses as to why Regulus was killed. Maby he wasn't the spineless idiot Sirius thought him to be.

:mid3

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  19. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Yeah... we knew that already. @_@

It's been discussed to death around here. The threads are around here somewhere if you want to read them.

Anyway, I dont think Regulus got rid of it... but I dont think it'd be impossible for another to get rid of one. Dumbledore may be smart, but after reading HBP it shows he is pretty arrogant. He might overlook simple solutions.

20. the-caitiff

the-caitiff Death Eater

The thing everyone needs to remember about Volde is that he is still only human, for all his soul is immortal. Hit him with a car, slash him with a spatula, shoot him, ak him, whatever you need to do I think his body will die. He's paranoid so it wont be easy, but a lucky shot could help out enormously. Unfortunately unless it's Harry I don't think he'll stay dead.

I really dislike the horcrux idea because it makes no sense to me. If Dumbledore suspected he was still alive after Godric's Hollow, why didn't he announce to the world "Hey, Volde made a horcrux." and have everybody and their brother working to find them so Harry's job would be easier? This knowledge hoarding is only hurting the cause.