1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How I Met Your Mother Series Finale

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by silentclock, Apr 1, 2014.

1. silentclock

silentclock Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

The final episode of How I Met Your Mother just aired. I'm not sure how much of a viewership HIMYM has on DLP, but I thought it may be worth discussing.

Ted finally meets the mother, but we immediately find out that she has since died. There's been a pretty popular fan theory that the mother is dead for quite a while, so it wasn't a huge shock, but I didn't like it. Then, the episode concluded with Ted renewing his pursuit of Robin, which I really didn't like. All that said, the episode had some great moments. Ted's meeting the mother for the first time was hands down my favorite scene of the season, and I thought it should have been the ending point.

Much like the series as a whole, the episode was good, but at the same time somewhat disappointing. I can't help but wish they'd taken it a different way.

If any of you watched the episode, what did you think?

2. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I wasn't aware of any theories, but killing the mother after years of storytelling plainly sucks. As for Ted going after Robin again, I couldn't care less, I watched the show about young people, not a gentleman in his forties. The worst part, though, was the complete annihilation of Barney. He was by far the best character in the show and what they did to him was inexcusable.

If I could unwatch it, I would.

3. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

I, mad.

/10chars

4. silentclock

silentclock Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I think part of what makes this episode so disappointing for me is that I've really liked most of the last season. The casters could not have picked anyone better than Cristin Milioti, and she was just clearly perfect for Ted
    The scene tonight where she was dressed up as a Florida voter to go along with Ted's hanging chad was absolutely adorable.
    This scene, right after the mother overcomes some demons of her own, will go down as one of my favorites of the series.

I dunno; I didn't dislike the episode the same way you did. I'm just disappointed in it.

5. Eyron

Eyron Seventh Year

Is it creepy that The Mother looks like Robin and Lily combined together?? Lily's face and Robin's hair.

6. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Definitely disappointed with the finale. I'm not going to bother with spoiler tags (because who seriously goes into a thread labelled "How I Met Your Mother Finale" if they don't want the ending spoiled?) but here's your spoiler warning in any case.

Killing off the mother in some off screen death was honestly the worst possible ending I could have imagined for this show. Ted ending up with Robin is similarly terrible. It's like they ignored everything the show had been building towards for years and just stuck with the ending they originally wrote (and obviously filmed with the kids) anyway.

I'd have to disagree with KrzaQ about Barney though, because I think that actually might have been the best possible ending he could have gotten. He got pretty well fucked over by Robin, because it was clear that he had matured enough to be a good husband and honestly loved her, but her job prevented them from having a healthy relationship. He did however grow up a fair bit, showing a lot more respect for women whilst staying true to the character he's always been through the series. Honestly post-divorce Barney is more like himself in the few minutes we saw him than he was for the rest of the entire season when he was engaged to Robin. Him having a daughter is karma x1000, and that scene where he was holding her was probably one of my favourites of the whole show.

Overall though, that was just terrible pacing for the season as a whole. Did we really need episode after epsisode of the terrible black stereotype driving around with Marshall in a car, only then to have huge plot points (like two of the main characters getting divorced) covered in about 8 minutes? I definitely wouldn't have minded seeing a hell of a lot more of the mother, too - Cristin Milioti nailed that role.

7. Morde

Morde Second Year

That was some serious bullshit. Also, are spoiler tags not working for anyone else right now? I can't highlight them for some reason that I assume has to do with the April Fool's day skin.

8. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

I think they just added that, because I read the spoilered posts like fifteen minutes ago. I guess it's because you can't highlight text on FF.net anymore. If you really wanna read what they wrote just press quote and read their post in the reply box.

9. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

It just... It felt disappointing, I felt the last episode was the best because it closed out all the Ted and Robin etc; And then they go back to it, and it just felt, ugh.

10. calutron

calutron Unspeakable

11. Morde

Morde Second Year

That's precisely what I had done. It's still annoying, though.

12. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I legit thought this was a Reality Show instead of a sitcom until I saw everyone talking about the Season Finale and googled it.

13. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Was honestly expecting some sort of bullshit at the ending seeing how many times Ted-Robin go on and off. I just don't get the point of building up the bitch for 9 seasons only for her to appear sparsely for a season . Pissed off at the 'MOTHER' character seeing that I followed the entire 9 seasons just to find out about her. And what's the whole point of Barney Stinson's 'CHANGE'?

%^&*(($ the writers.

14. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Holy fucking shit. That was mean.

15. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

I feel both satisfied and oddly disappointed. Such mixed feelings. That confirmation of my theory that the Mother was dead and the circular bookending of the series by ending the same way it started (the Blue French horn) were good. It tied the series up nicely. However, I liked Barney and Robin as a couple. Couldn't they have dealt with those in a more respectful manner?

The last time that I felt such oddly mixed feelings about a finale was when LOST ended. Curiously enough, HIMYM is often described as a combination of LOST and Friends, so make what you will of that.

16. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I stopped watching this series like two or three seasons back. Is it worth watching what I missed or should I just read the spoilers to see what happened.

17. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

I think the last season was important, other than that the only thing to really take from season 7/8 is the Barney Robin engagement, at least as far as I can remember.

18. nath1607

nath1607 Groundskeeper

I stopped watching this season halfway through as I got bored with the wedding sequences. Is it even worth watching the finale, as it sounds rather like the Dexter one.

19. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

You know, they managed to get me to love the Mother through one season of brief appearances... and then they end this bullshit with Ted/Robin once more. It's kind of like Smallville's Lana/Clark, almost too pathetic to be infuriating.

20. Wtfitskenny

Wtfitskenny Second Year

I've actively followed this show for 4 years, had you asked me what the best tv series of all time was I would have answered without thinking: how I met your mother.

Today I'm not that sure anymore, How could they after all what he's gone though deny Ted the happy ending he deserved (no pun intended) I can somehow even accept the fact that Tracy dies but Ted and Robin getting back together ? Really?! in the past 9 seasons we have seen countless times why that relationship doesn't work. It's like Harry/ginny countless reasons why it would not work. But for both Ted/Robin & Harry/Ginny I have to realise that both are canon :(

I feel better now